Ouch! I hit something today. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! I hit something today.

DaisyCutter
06-07-2007, 10:25
I was zipping down the freeway when something hit my right foot. It was dense and really hard. I'm thinking it was a rock about the size of a lemon. It managed to give me a couple bloody bruises on my two biggest toes. I was wearing leather construction-type boots.

I've had two experiences like this in the last week. What gives?
Do ya'll ever catch road debris with your body?

Lone Wolff
06-07-2007, 16:02
I took a june bug last week on the shoulder/upper arm. That stung for a bit, but not as solid as a rock or anything like that.

fnfalman
06-07-2007, 16:40
Caught a few rocks that were quite smarting even though I was wearing my heavy leather jacket.

Caught some bugs that were big enough to smear half the visor and snapped my head back.

The joy of riding naked.:banana:

NMGlocker
06-07-2007, 17:31
I took a pigeon to the forehead at 170+.
He exploded into a fine red mist, I saw him coming so I tucked and braced. Barely even felt him.
Thank you Shoei.
A friend took a giant grasshopper to the nads at 80mph, he barely got pulled over to the side of the road before he puked.
Funny stuff... I was laughing anyway.

epsylum
06-07-2007, 18:52
Originally posted by NMGlocker
A friend took a giant grasshopper to the nads at 80mph, he barely got pulled over to the side of the road before he puked.
Funny stuff... I was laughing anyway.

How? Was he riding standing up or something? Usually my nads are quite protected by the tank in front of it.

I took a dragonfly about the size of a small bird to the shoulder once. It turned me a bit and felt like someone punched me. I have also taken a few small rocks to my gloved fingers that were launched by a semi on the highway. They stung for a bit and just reminded me why I wear gloves in the first place.

HollowHead
06-07-2007, 22:35
I took a hubcap to the left elbow on the Cross Island Expressway in N.Y.C. years ago. It came from opposing traffic and shot across the median like a frisbee before I saw it. By then, it was just one of those "crouch, grimmace and wait" scenarios. Ouch. It still hurts and that was nineteen years ago. HH

xrmattaz
06-08-2007, 00:18
An old BMW of mine got smacked on the left mirror by a rock thrown by a semi. Totally obliterated the mirror!

Wear ALL your gear guys/gals!

tshadow6
06-08-2007, 20:42
I've had a few small rocks pinged off my helmet. My friends ask if I'm hot in ll my gear. I tell them I'd rather sweat than bleed.

RichBaker
06-11-2007, 21:08
I caught a BIG effing rock on my helmet, at the chinbar/faceshield junction....saw it on the road in the headlights of the car in front and thought it was a potato....it destroyed the helmet, pulled muscles in the side of my neck and would have probly killed me if I hadn't had the helmet!

lionheart
07-09-2007, 13:12
Some loser stood a beer bottle up in the middle of the street.

I went flying by (nighttime) at about 50mph and it hit my big toe. It was in a semi-residential area and my headlights didn't pick it up until it was too late to react.

Almost pulled me off the bike. My foot went under the peg. Picture this - the top of my foot (boot) is dragging the street and the peg is behind my ankle against my achilles tendon. I had to pull my foot out to the side to get "loose".

Nothing broken but I'll never forget it.

oldgraywolf
07-09-2007, 18:05
I've caught a lot of debris over the years--stones, a couple birds to the helmet, but the most memorable was around 30 years ago I was about a quarter mile behind a log truck that sheared the top of its load on a railroad trestle at about 60 mph. There were sticks of pulpwood everywhere on the roadway, but I had enough room to stop before I got there. Had I been close behind him, I doubt I'd be alive today.

SBM
07-09-2007, 20:34
Originally posted by DaisyCutter
I was zipping down the freeway when something hit my right foot. It was dense and really hard. I'm thinking it was a rock about the size of a lemon. It managed to give me a couple bloody bruises on my two biggest toes. I was wearing leather construction-type boots.

I've had two experiences like this in the last week. What gives?
Do ya'll ever catch road debris with your body?

I tend to wear a pair of steel toe boots when Im riding, but that has its drawbacks too.

I got hit a couple of weeks ago with a gatorback section. Was in a new construction zone, and it came out of nowhere. Caught the front mag from the side and bounced the rear, catching the front radiator lower cover as it went. Worried me for a sec, and of course, then it was over, just glad that it wasnt a full size retread section off a semi that got me across the face..
Hit a Luna moth one time at about 90. Covered the face shield and top of the tank, and jacket..nassy stuff. Felt like I had hit a 2 X 4 across the highway...almost took me off the bike.
Worst thing ever...Iguess would be the time that my GF at the time and I were on I40 coming back from the Parkway, and we were 2nd in a group of about 18. This car was passing the group, and as it got about 40 feet in front of us, the passenger threw out a cig butt and as luck would have it, the GF had her face visor up for something or other and it went in, caught and lodged beside her cheek, still lit of course. Still has the scar from that. Ruined the liner of the helmet too.
Junebugs this time of year suck. Seems they get larger and weigh more every year.

Im always worried about rocks. So far, so good. In all my years of riding, havent found myself with more than a couple of grains of sand that always found its way to my eye.

Rinspeed
07-12-2007, 10:39
I've hit a couple birds, man do they scare the crap out of you. Good size bugs can hurt more than one would think.

codivecop
07-18-2007, 22:44
On my trip I caught a bird (black- don't know beyond that) in the shin at 80 mph.

Fockers kept dive bombing me!!