Why I like my US Rep. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why I like my US Rep.

Egyas
06-07-2007, 13:26
Of all the negative things I say about this god-forsaken (ie Chicago controlled) state, and there are a bunch, I will say one positive thing. I REALLY like my US Rep, Don Manzullo (from the 6th District of Illinois). He is one of the FEW Illinois polititions that I would refer to as a "good guy". He's also a class act as a person. I have had the oppertunity to meet him three times. On one I was simply in a group he meet, on another I had about 2 minutes to "chat", and on the third he ate lunch with my boss and my team. Got to spend about 45 minutes talking about politics, trade,kids, and general small talk. It helps that we agree on about 85% of things politically, and those that we don't I will at least say that those are his actual convictions, not just "voting by polling".

This just came in on his newsletter....

----------------------------------
Securing our borders

We have received hundreds of phone calls, emails and faxes from you asking my position on the proposed immigration bill now moving through the U.S. Senate. My position is that we must secure our borders and enforce our existing laws before we even talk about any comprehensive immigration bill.

I had an interesting conversation with U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley a few weeks ago. Senator Grassley was in the Senate in 1986 when Congress passed comprehensive legislation to secure the borders and provide amnesty to the 3 million illegal immigrants in the United States at that time. Since that vote in 1986, more than 12 million additional illegal immigrants have come across the border.

Senator Grassley voted for the bill in 1986. He will not vote for this one, which similarly calls for securing the borders while providing a path to citizenship for the 12 to 20 million illegal immigrants in this country. It didnít work then and it wonít work now. This legislation would reward illegal acts and would be a slap in the face to those who followed the rules and entered the United States the legal way. I oppose the Senate immigration bill for those reasons.
----------------------------------