Does it matter which empty slots that you plug your RAM into? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter which empty slots that you plug your RAM into?

Mr. PC
06-07-2007, 14:20
(I have two sticks of 512MB RAM)

I had first stick in slot #1 and second stick in slot #3, leaving slots #2 and #4 empty.

I just moved the RAM to slots #1 and #2, leaving slots #3 and #4 empty.

Does it matter? What is better?

Heat? Performance?

chbix
06-07-2007, 15:04
nope, it shouldnt matter, obviously the computer is recognizing both sticks. I would think that it would be beneficial from a heat stand point to run them in slot 1 and 4, but i dont think your going to see that big of a difference if your running a good cooling set up.

HAVOC
06-07-2007, 15:10
Assuming it's the IS7 you linked in another thread, then YES, it does matter.

From the IS-7 Manaul:

To reach the performance of Dual Channel DDR, the following rules must be obeyed:

When installing TWO DIMM modules: Install DIMM modules of the same type and size for slots [DIMM1]+[DIMM3] or slots [DIMM2]+[DIMM4].

For functionality, not it doesn't matter. But running matching sticks in DIMM1 and DIMM3 will perform better than DIMM1 and DIMM2.

malkore
06-07-2007, 15:53
as stated, it DOES matter if you've got a board with DDR slots.

in order to get the Dual Data Rate advantage you have to install matched memory sticks in the correct 'paired' memory slots, or you take a hit on your potential performance.

HAVOC
06-07-2007, 15:57
Originally posted by malkore
as stated, it DOES matter if you've got a board with DDR slots.

in order to get the Dual Data Rate advantage you have to install matched memory sticks in the correct 'paired' memory slots, or you take a hit on your potential performance.

It's actually a dual-channel dual data rate issue. Not all DDR is DC. The board in question is dual-channel is though.

jtull7
06-07-2007, 16:27
Ram your plug into? I say it matters!

RaiderRodney
06-07-2007, 17:26
Yeah if it's DDR it does matter and motherboard companies are different in how they setup for this. Some us same color such as blue/black/blue/black and you plug into the 2 blues for DDR. Others do just the opposite and you would plug two sticks into blue and black. Best to just check your MB specs and see what they recommend.

chbix
06-08-2007, 00:47
sorry about that i wasnt even thinking about the dual channel ddr thing, they are right, my bad.

Patrick Graham
06-08-2007, 13:41
Originally posted by jtull7
Ram your plug into? I say it matters!

Good one.. wish I'd have said that.. :animlol:

FastZ
06-13-2007, 21:38
Originally posted by Mr. PC
(I have two sticks of 512MB RAM)

I had first stick in slot #1 and second stick in slot #3, leaving slots #2 and #4 empty.

I just moved the RAM to slots #1 and #2, leaving slots #3 and #4 empty.

Does it matter? What is better?

Heat? Performance?

Yes, it does matter. There should ALWAYS be a stick of RAM in slot #1. Slots #1 and #3 are "related" and slots #2 and #4 are "related". If you have two sticks of RAM and you want to use both of them, put the faster of the two sticks in slot #1 and the other in #3. If you have three, then have RAM in slots #1, #3, and lastly #2 and so on and so forth.

Mr. PC
06-15-2007, 09:36
HAVOC and FastZ, thanks!

I have moved my RAM sticks back to slot #1 and slot #3.

:)