Bluetooth GPS receiver for phone or laptop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth GPS receiver for phone or laptop

orangedawg19
06-08-2007, 00:35
Just wanted to say I got this Holux 240 receiver, its the size of a stick of gum, weighs next to nothing, 8 hr battery life and SirfIII level so its quick on the satellites and keeps them.

Using it on my Sprint Treo 700P, and it works like a charm. Just had to put in a good word and say everyone should have this thing if you want a portable GPS unit, or start geocaching outdoors, hiking, biking, boating, or walking the city streets or, even be followed by Big Brother (tinfoil hat not included).

Go get one now!! Cheapest (80 bucks plus shipping) is where I got it at, in 1st link, second link is just one of the reviews out there that shows some good comparison pictures. Any questions , message me! I'm no sponsor or anything, just a customer of a great product and I am really enthused about it and want to spread the word.

http://www.buygpsnow.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=616

http://www.waterman.ca/240%20size.jpg

cannoncocker
06-10-2007, 07:36
thanks orangedog
I was just looking for one for my dash and google maps.didnt even know they made them.
rod

LAWDOGKMS
06-10-2007, 09:00
What does this do for you?

How do you use it with your phone?

orangedawg19
06-10-2007, 10:42
Well depending on what phone you have and if you have a internet plan, you can get directions, POI databases w/ phone numbers (like calling ahead to make a reservation at a restaurant, movie theater, whatever you can think of), etc.

If you have a Blackberry, Google Maps (the only good free program out there) will track you with the GPS. Treo phones dont yet have that feature, but they still make software for the PDAs and Pocket PCs. I ordered TomTom 6 after a lot of research and using the trial period of another competitor that is purely online called Telenav. A few more features like a built-in fuel finder (finds the cheapest fuel near you based on credit card company information) and such, but had too many downfalls for me to consistently use at 10 bucks a month.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. I just can't see how people aren't utilizing portable GPS more, its just awesome. You can carry the phone GPS units in and out with you where you go, while walking, anywhere. They are now just at price where its affordable, so why not?!

cannoncocker
06-12-2007, 09:19
I just got a dash by tmobile and downloaded google maps even without the gps its good.I tried to click on the gps and it didnt work then it dawned on me and i saw your post.I wanted to buy a gps but i guess i dont need to now.
thanks
rod

orangedawg19
06-13-2007, 14:30
Sweet! Yeah man, for free, Google Maps is one of the best things ever to come out for internet-capable phones. Nothing beats it for speed, accuracy, and price. I use it at work for obtaining many directions, quickly and accurately.

I just bought TomTom 6 which uses GPS, and it is a great program. Very good looking, incredible interface, accurate, but obviously more expensive (at around 135 bucks shipped, 150 MSRP). Its more useful when needing 1 very detailed and thorough route from point A to B, B to C, and C to D. It can find POIs on the way, give you voice turn-by-turn guidance, recalculate if you get off course, etc. Its probably better for longer distance driving or when you're just going to be in the car needing directions for a while.

If you dont need the GPS feature, then Google Maps and some internet is the way to go.