Mechanic's hell; changing intake manifold and carb on Ford Van. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic's hell; changing intake manifold and carb on Ford Van.

vart
06-08-2007, 14:33
My `87 Ford Super Wagon 4x4 has a rebuilt 460 w/ a Holley carb on it. While diagnosing a miss, I found that the intake manifold gaskets were leaking, and that the carb was shot.

I bought a new Weind Stealth intake and Edelbrock Performer 750 electric choke carb for it.

I asked my mechanic what he would charge to do the job, and he said $500.

Since I've swapped at least a dozen intakes on vehicles over the years, I figured I would just do it myself...

$500 may not have been a bad deal:upeyes:

Really, it's not too bad so far.

I've got everything off of the manifold and I just need to actually remove the intake.

I had to take a break to replace my gloves that ripped and take a breather.

Since the van is from California, and the intake is non-EGR, I have lots of vacuum lines to throw away and some figuring on how to make everything work.

Ron3
06-08-2007, 19:01
Should be pretty easy!

vart
06-08-2007, 20:57
I'd be done by now if the parts store wasn't a 40-mile round trip:upeyes: .

I have to run back in tomorrow to get a replacement T-Stat housing I broke.:sad:

Geeorge
06-12-2007, 00:17
Real men don't need no stink'in gloves to work on a cold engine,but that's just my opinion:pjmn:

bubbatime
06-12-2007, 00:48
I put a weiand stealth and an edelbrock performer 750 carb on my old F250 with a 460 and it ran like a raped ape afterwards... that intake sure is tall... are you sure it will fit???

1 old 0311
06-12-2007, 04:04
Don't forget to change the oil BEFORE you start it. Don't want the old antifreeze to wash out the bearings.:thumbsup:

vart
06-12-2007, 11:41
Originally posted by bubbatime
I put a weiand stealth and an edelbrock performer 750 carb on my old F250 with a 460 and it ran like a raped ape afterwards... that intake sure is tall... are you sure it will fit???
The intake fit, but almost no room for an air cleaner... I've got about 5 inches of room between the carb and the top of the engine compartment. That means a stud 2.5" tall and an air cleaner 2.5" tall.

I did manage to drop the oil pump drive into the motor, so I'm off to town today to buy a magnet:upeyes: