Cabelas might go in near Gander Mountain in Greenwood, Indiana [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas might go in near Gander Mountain in Greenwood, Indiana

FThorn
06-08-2007, 14:40
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070608/LOCAL/70608038&GID=EooegB9iubIukQLsG/Jhp4kSGncIqZzThsYZHRrOvSY%3D

Seems too close to me, but not going to complain.

Do Cabela's carry handguns?

EAJuggalo
06-09-2007, 00:27
yep, they even advertise them in the inserts in the sunday paper. Be sure to stay out of the bargain cave unless you've got A LOT of time.

FThorn
06-11-2007, 15:01
follow-up article makes it (semi) official.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070611/LOCAL/706110440

nastytrigger
06-11-2007, 15:17
Stupid southside. I wish it was on the westside. I'd get a part-time job there if it was closer (same with a Gander). I guess I'll add Cabela's to my usual pilgramage to southside Gander (and my sisters house) sometimes Albros too. Only Cabela's I've been to is the one in Mitchell, South Dakota. I am very impressed by Cabela's and have been waiting patiently for one in Indiana (besides Hammond). Looking at their catalog is only SO fulfilling...

FThorn
06-11-2007, 15:28
oohh!!!

part time job... GOOD IDEA> why didn't I think about that?

Geeorge
06-12-2007, 10:22
Hope it is as good a place as Galyans in plainfield was 20 or so years ago;)

KSFreeman
06-12-2007, 14:20
Southside is a good place for it.

When I worked for Galyan's (Pike Plaza store), our Greenwood store always did 50 to 75% more in gun sales. Before deer season Cary (aka "Big Claw") would ask me to come up from Bloomington go work for him on the weekends just to keep up with the guns and ammo sales there.

EAJuggalo
06-13-2007, 01:36
a store in the Indy area is listed at Cabelas website as "opening soon"

epsylum
06-13-2007, 15:16
Originally posted by EAJuggalo
a store in the Indy area is listed at Cabelas website as "opening soon"

I heard on the news that Cabelas was wanting to possibly open more than one store in the Indy-ish area. Greenwood wants there to be a larger Cabeleas "no build zone" than Cabelas wants. They are trying to more or less keep them for themselves and to make sure that if you want to go to a Cabelas in central Indiana it will have to be the Greenwood one. I think just the fact that Cabelas is possibly thinking of making more than one store in cental Indiana says a lot. They don't have that many stores and they are pretty spread out. Not to mention that from what I have seen, their stores make a Gander Mountain or Dicks look like a 7-11 (i.e. they are friggin HUGE).

FThorn
06-13-2007, 18:51
It seems to me that one per Central/southern indiana/NW KY/SW OH makes sense.

Brian Dover
06-15-2007, 14:43
Cabela's seems to enjoy letting it leak out that they're looking to build in various locations. Couple years ago they were supposedly studying northern Kentucky quite intently for this purpose. Last year there were rumors from north of Cincinnati, also up above Columbus Ohio. Interesting stuff ain't it?

jsx1043
06-15-2007, 15:45
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, someone to put the smack down on the weiners that are Dick's Sporting Goods..I mean UnderArmour ThugWear Outlet. Thank God Gander Mountain moved in, but this will definitely help.

FThorn
06-15-2007, 17:02
I just wonder if Gander will survive...it will be across the 'street' so to speak.

FThorn
06-15-2007, 19:27
Gander Asks Greenwood not to help Cabela's

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070615/LOCAL/706150558

pupcuss27
06-17-2007, 21:45
I am still missing "GALYAN'S", they always had great service and prices on Glock's.

The Plainfield store was my favorite.

Progress goes on but so do fond memories of your first Glock purchases.

esrice
06-18-2007, 19:55
I work at the Holiday Inn Express by Gander (County Line & Emerson), and there is a group of Cabela's execs using our meeting facilities today. I just talked to one of them and he said its a definate "GO".

Is it bad that I tried to get him to hire me on the spot??

R. Emmelman
06-19-2007, 04:56
Originally posted by esrice

Is it bad that I tried to get him to hire me on the spot??
Absolutly not! :thumbsup:

seamus
06-21-2007, 09:24
I stopped at the Kansas City location a few years ago just to buy a couple of cooking pots. (I was going camping in Colorado) 2 hours later my kid had to drag me out of the store!

Cody Jarrett
06-21-2007, 09:38
It should be a breath of fresh air. Gander Mtn is very expensive. .32cal Winchester Silvertips are $40 there and are $28 at my local gunshop.

Skpotamus
06-26-2007, 14:58
I work at a gander mountain in terre haute, and I'm pretty positive that a Cabela's in Indy would either kill the Gander's there (and here), or they'd have to get rid of their corporate twits who are now setting pricing as well as the twits who are doing the ordering.

EX's Springfield Armory EMP, competition price $940, Gander's, just raised to $1249.99.
Winchester White box ammo, we can literally buy it at walmart's retail price for below our current cost.
Reloading... don't even get me started, I work there and still order all my stuff online.

We order a lot of mossberg slug guns last year, we get, a lot of high dollar over/unders.

We try to get rid of most of our high power hunting rifles (that we don't sell very much of), Corporate then sends us one metric ****ton of rifles all above .30-06 and want us to quit ordering varmint calibers.

Either way, I'd be happy to finally see a Cabela's around here.

tlish
06-27-2007, 15:21
yeah! i love cabela's, but could never buy handguns there since they're all out of state.