Adding air conditioning to a 1972 chevy pickup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Adding air conditioning to a 1972 chevy pickup

2glock40s
06-08-2007, 20:06
Hey all,
I'm new to this forum so please be patient with me.

I have been looking for a 1972 Chevy pick up for about 8 months now. I have finally found one in my own city for sale that I'm interested in but it doesn't have air conditioning. My question is this: Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to add air to a truck that did not originally come with it? I'm not a mechanic but have a pretty decent knowledge of mechanical things.
This truck is a Cheyenne and looks great, I hate to pass it by if adding air is somewhat simple.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Blitzer
06-08-2007, 20:50
I worked in a custom auto electronics and trim shop when I got out of the Air Force. It isn't rocket science. Believe me when I say you can get kits and do it yourself, but it is better to have it done and get a warranty.

Lone Wolff
06-18-2007, 17:02
You'll find very few that had factory A/C from that vintage. I had a 72 GMC as my first vehicle. Even if you do find one for sale with A/C, more than likely it hasn't been converted to R134a due to cost.

You'll be better off buying that truck w/o A/C, and adding it yourself, or as Blitzer said, having it done. Either option is probably going to be a better system than finding one with factory A/C.

Seafarer12
07-03-2007, 19:50
southern rods makes a good kit that is reasonably priced. I have one in my S10.