Sidearms [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sidearms

kalashnikovluvr
06-08-2007, 20:46
When you join up and go to a combat zone are you allowed to get sidearms sent to you from the states. The reason I ask is after I graduate im joining up and am going to try to be a M1A1 crewman, LAV crewman, or AAV crewman, and would like a sidearm in the closed in space I would be fighting in just in case. I understand that it is rare for a marine or any soldier to use their sidearm but it is a just in case type thing for me. and if I did have to use my sidearm I would prefer my father send me a .45 from home then use the 9mm. That is why I ask.

Brigrat
06-08-2007, 20:52
no you can not use a firearm from home...

you will learn...

and Semper Fi

06-08-2007, 20:55
If the Corps wanted you to have one they will issue one. They usually frown on you bringing your own gun to the fight. Officers might be able to get away with it????? Good Luck

If you make as a crew member of the 3 above and your trak is out of order. You will be in the open and need a long gun.

Good Luck

357glocker
06-09-2007, 14:31
They will issue you the M9. I highly doubt they will let you have a privately owned weapon. Besides if you are going to need a sidearm inside your vehicle you have more problems than not carrying a .45 on your hands;)
Good luck in bootcamp, and thanks for your service!
SemperFi

Steve in PA
06-10-2007, 07:11
"Marine" is always capitalized. If you plan on joining the Corps, its best you learn that right away.

As the others have stated, you'll get what Uncle Sam wants you to have. There is nothing wrong with the M9 pistol, except the cheap-o after market magazines.

Kingslayer
06-11-2007, 09:48
I can speak for the AAV side of the house. You'll be issued an M16 like every other crewman. You won't see a pistol until your a section leader (usually Sgt or SSgt).

Getting into the 1800 field shouldn't be too hard given our current war.

Again, speaking only from the AAV side of the house you WILL see the world. I did a UNITAS/WATC (United American States/West African Training Cruise) deployment which was 5 months and a Mediterranean Float. I've seen every country in South America that touches the water except for the Guiennas. 4 countries in South America that I'm still trying to forget. Puerto Rico, Panama, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Romania, Eukraine, etc. I've been to some of the best places on earth, Rio De Genero, Brazil. Venice, Italy. Istanbul, Turkey.

Then remember the perks. You sleep in an RV while the grunts sleep in the dirt. You have a heater which is nice on those crisp N.C. winter mornings. You don't get wet when it rains.

Any of the 1800 fields will make you strong. All the vehicles in the 1800 fields need a ton of maintenance (AAVs have requirement of 8 hours of maintenance per hour of use) and they are all heavy.

I loved being in AAVs.

AdminJarhead
06-12-2007, 07:54
If you go to the 1800 side, M1A1 crew, then you are coming to see me. Here at glorious Ft Knox. And all tank crew students are given an introductory on the M9 and then you have to qualify when you get to your unit. After that it depends on where you are on whether or not you get issued one.

RM
06-16-2007, 12:34
Its been over a dozen years since I was with 2nd Tanks, but back than tankers got issued an M9 as their TO weapon. LAVs, on the hand got rifles except for a few billet holders like Plt Sgt and Plt Cmds (LAVs are grunts after all) and never worked much with traks other than in the C2 track and everyone had pistol.

Kingslayer
06-22-2007, 09:41
Originally posted by RM
Its been over a dozen years since I was with 2nd Tanks, but back than tankers got issued an M9 as their TO weapon. LAVs, on the hand got rifles except for a few billet holders like Plt Sgt and Plt Cmds (LAVs are grunts after all) and never worked much with traks other than in the C2 track and everyone had pistol.

Most everyone in the C2 track (actually called the C7 by us amtrackers because it's designation is AAVC7A1) are grunts. The crews of the C7 and it's chase vehicle still have M16s except for the section leader who will have a pistol.

You won't see a pistol in AAVs until your at least a Sgt. and by then you'll know enough to want your rifle back...

kalashnikovluvr
06-22-2007, 20:32
thanks for all the information guys. I would much rather have a rifle than a pistol. But I would just like to have a .45 than a 9MM. Oh well, like everyone says "if the marine corps. wanted you to have a (instert), they would've issued you one."

AdminJarhead
06-22-2007, 21:33
Originally posted by kalashnikovluvr
thanks for all the information guys. I would much rather have a rifle than a pistol. But I would just like to have a .45 than a 9MM. Oh well, like everyone says "if the marine corps. wanted you to have a (instert), they would've issued you one."

CAPITALIZE MY CORPS!!!:drillsgt:

kalashnikovluvr
06-23-2007, 09:24
Sir Yes Sir!!! Marine Corps.

usmc4641
06-25-2007, 18:35
Trust me, if you are anywhere that you may need to use a sidearm, it will not be hard to find one. Whenever we found one, we just stuck it in our pocket. Time to go home, you pass it on, or throw it in the river.
Tariqs are not a bad single stack beretta knock off.

reconvic
06-30-2007, 13:13
What you need the Corps will issue you, I have used many weapons during my years in the Corps.

Jay D.
07-07-2007, 08:54
You need to go and talk to the recruiter now if you are a senior. If you want to get into the tank field then you need to find out if you are qualifed and get in the DEP now. All of those jobs will probably be gone around Dec. There is only a limited number. Believe me, I know, I am a recruiter in Texas for the Marines. Good Luck to you but dont wait or you might be high and dry taking a job that you dont want because that is all thats left.

AdminJarhead
07-07-2007, 19:15
SSgt Jay,

There is no shortage of tank students, our class that just picked up is only at about half capacity. But you are right, if tanks are what he wants then he needs to DEP in.

chadb1019
07-14-2007, 21:48
You wanna be in Tank's. Good to go. Was with them for almost 4 years.