A few rookie questions about Hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A few rookie questions about Hunting

Norman
06-10-2007, 06:25
I've never been on a hunt. Yesterday I took my Hunter Safety course here in Florida and of course they stress certain safety requirements that make perfectly good sense, such as wearing hunter orange and making sure you identify your target and what is beyond.

Now...

this morning I was watching the Southern Backwoods hunting television program that I happened to watch for the first time as I was clicking through the channels (funny how these things happen in sync with your life, since I haven't caught a hunting program in months or years), and anywho, I was of course observing some discrepancies with what these guys were doing out in the field from what the Hunter Safety course teaches.

They were not wearing any hunter orange - they wore camoflauge from head to toe. Also, in one hunt with a turkey they came upon by surprise as they were walking down the road, they shot at a turkey who was just on their side of an embankment, thus any shot that missed the turkey was going over this overbank and they could not possibly have seen "beyond the target."

I just want to know, are the rules on hunter orange strictly enforced? Are these guys on TV not the best example? What's the real ethical norm out there in the woods practiced by most?

357glocker
06-10-2007, 06:45
400sq/inches of hunters orange on the head, back and chest is required in NE for big game species. Not alot of conservation officers to enforce the rules though. I ensure I am wearing plenty of orange if hunting on public land. On private land I wear it while moving, but once in place and the weather warms up I'm comfortable with taking it off.

Bitmap
06-10-2007, 08:23
In many states the orange is only required on public land. Many hunting shows are filmed on private land where no orange is required.

Also, in many areas shooting from a public road is forbidden but shooting from a private road is ok.

Were they using shotguns for the turkey or rifles? If shotguns then I suspect they were counting on the much shorter range of the shot to keep everyone safe, especially if they were on private land and inside the area they were assigned to hunt.

ETA I own my own hunting land and I am camoed head to toe. I am way more worried about a missed round from a hunter on other property hitting me than I am about someone mistaking me for a deer and shooting me on purpose. I try to be aware of where all vehicles, houses, irrigation equipment, etc. is before I shoot. I have not let my kids shoot at turkeys because they were between us and the one house (1/2 mile away in that direction with 1/4 mile+ of trees between us) in the area for fear of the bullet somehow making it to the house.

As far as the guys on hunting shows, when they are at hunting ranches I suspect they the royal treatment, with no other hunters allowed anywhere near so they have the best chance to kill a big trophy buck so the game ranch looks good.

Norman
06-10-2007, 08:32
Originally posted by Bitmap
In many states the orange is only required on public land. Many hunting shows are filmed on private land where no orange is required.

Also, in many areas shooting from a public road is forbidden but shooting from a private road is ok.

Were they using shotguns for the turkey or rifles? If shotguns then I suspect they were counting on the much shorter range of the shot to keep everyone safe, especially if they were on private land and inside the area they were assigned to hunt.

I believe they mentioned it was a private road, now that I think about it.

And it was a shotgun.

vafish
06-10-2007, 09:13
In VA orange is not required for spring turkey hunting.

My guess is that many states are the same.

Agree with Bitmap on the shooting part, shotguns have a much shorter range, if they were on private property they assumed that an area 100 yards beyond the turkey was safe becasue they knew who was on the property.

noway
06-10-2007, 12:40
{They were not wearing any hunter orange - they wore camoflauge from head to toe. Also, in one hunt with a turkey they came upon by surprise as they were walking down the road, they shot at a turkey who was just on their side of an embankment, thus any shot that missed the turkey was going over this overbank and they could not possibly have seen "beyond the target."

I just want to know, are the rules on hunter orange strictly enforced? Are these guys on TV not the best example? What's the real ethical norm out there in the woods practiced by most?}

Norman, since you took the FLA Hunter Ed ( assumption ), the blaze orange is typical mandatory on public manage hunting grounds and only during the attempting of take a deer. ( read the hunter phamplet) Now it's not require on most private lands, but is highly reccommended during the attempting of taking deer.

Vafish mention the turkey and orange. Repeat after me, you will not see or get any turkeys if you walk around with blaze orange on ;) It's not required either but could be usefull if your moving from spots to spots. A tom/hen will spot you a mile away if you walked around with orange on.

fwiw:Hunter shows are good but in alot of cases aren't the best for understanding hunting safety and tactics.

romperstomper
06-11-2007, 12:49
I don't know where the show was filmed or when, but here in CT flourescent orange is only required from Sept. 1 through the last day of Feb. and not during the Fall Turkey firearms season.

As for shooting a shotgun: we are restricted to #4, 5, 6, and 7 1/2 shot during the turkey season. If you shoot this stuff at an upward angle when it comes down it will sting but not penetrate skin. Lots of folks get "rained on" by shot of such size without any serious injuries.

Depending on what you hunt, flourescent orange can be a serious detriment. Crow hunting, for example. Which is why you can remove the flourescent ornage if you hunt crows from a stationary position.

ithaca_deerslayer
06-13-2007, 11:08
You will have to use your own brain in making decisions.

Here are my rules for myself when hunting:
--No drinking alcohol. You'd think this is a no brainer, but I've seen guys drink while hunting.

--No running shots with rifles or slugs. This means that I'm not shooting at a deer that is running, I only shoot if the animal is walking or stopped. Some guys shoot at the white flag running away, or at deer running across a field. I want time to look where I'm shooting.

--Don't need orange if hunting from a stand, especially on my own land. But do need orange if tracking a shot deer, or if hunting off my land. Generally orange is good idea in gun deer season, but not needed in archery.

--Birds are not color blind, deer are. That's why when turkey and deer hang out in a field together, their combined powers make them a new super creature, with the best of eye sight, hearing, and smell. But when flushing birds, orange is needed. If calling in, or waiting on birds, then camo is ok.

--Shot won't travel too far, but if slugs, then really need to know the direction of that road and house you cannot see. Does not mean to be careless with shot. If shooting on a bird in flight, your barrel is going to be moving too. If bird hunting with partners, establish a line, and only shoot forward (not to the side like a VP).

gruntmedik
06-13-2007, 17:22
In KY, hunter orange is required during the muzzle loader seasons, and modern gun season, even if you aren't hunting deer. The requirements for the hunter orange are a solid orange hat--no orange camo/break-up--and a vest or jacket of solid orange, and must be visable from front, back, and both sides. Mesh vests are acceptable, as long as the mesh is no larger than 1/4 inch. The hat may have a logo or writing on the front.

Even when I'm bow hunting, I wear an orange hat to and from my stand. I also have an orange fanny pack I wear, and hang from my stand once in it.

bamarammin87
12-11-2007, 12:19
on AL orange aint required for turkeys. ask a turkey hunter, if they had to wear orange, they're never get one. "if turkeys could smell as good as they can see, they'd be hunting us!"- my good buddy who turkey hunts said that

RockMyKimber
01-01-2008, 01:49
Here in NC you have to have at least one article of orange on(no sq inch req) that can be viewed 360 degrees around your body, I wear a reversible orange head band, when I get to the top of my stand or inside my blind I turn it in and am then in full camo. I also hunt on PRIVATE land so I just worry about some idiot hunting it illegally, it is about a 700 acre piece of woods so there is always that chance. Wear something, a hat or something on your head at least til you get to your hunting site. Turkeys see color not sure which colors but I "think" so orange is bad news on the gobblers.

noway
01-01-2008, 19:54
Orange should be used also in turkey season when moving between locations.

When I was a NWTF banquet they put out stats that showed alot of hunters are shot at during turkey season and more so than deer :worried:

GlocksterPaulie
01-01-2008, 20:00
Norman,

Remember that is "Hunter Orange" not Fushia, leave your girlie colors at home you SOB.

:tongueout:

Paulie

Armchair Commando
01-04-2008, 03:06
They were not wearing any hunter orange - they wore camoflauge from head to toe. Also, in one hunt with a turkey they came upon by surprise as they were walking down the road, they shot at a turkey who was just on their side of an embankment, thus any shot that missed the turkey was going over this overbank and they could not possibly have seen "beyond the target."

I just want to know, are the rules on hunter orange strictly enforced? Are these guys on TV not the best example? What's the real ethical norm out there in the woods practiced by most? In Ohio, Your only required to wear hunter orange during the Deer Gun/Muzzleloader and Youth Deer Gun Seasons and that's it. Other than those times i NEVER wear orange. If you can bag a turkey wearing hunter orange then my friend, You are a far more superior hunter than me. Hell when i go Archery Deer/Turkey i wear one of my Ghillie Suits and sit against a tree to break up my outline. Last year i had a deer walk within 2 feet of me without having a single clue i was there. Now that's hunting buddy.

ks farmboy
01-09-2008, 04:55
They were not wearing any hunter orange - they wore camoflauge from head to toe. Also, in one hunt with a turkey they came upon by surprise as they were walking down the road, they shot at a turkey who was just on their side of an embankment, thus any shot that missed the turkey was going over this overbank and they could not possibly have seen "beyond the target." ]

you dont wear orange while turkey hunting. turkeys have excellent eyesight. wearing orange will make you stick out and you will not see any turkey. also, shooting a shotgun at a bird, the pellets will not go far. also, they have to be shooting close to the ground, meaning the pellets are going to hit not to far after the bird. any type of tree limbs or brush will knock down a shotgun pellet. it seems legit to me that they were doing everything alright.