studies say death penalty deters crime [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : studies say death penalty deters crime

atmarcella
06-10-2007, 19:05
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070611/ap_on_re_us/death_penalty_deterrence

saki1611
06-10-2007, 20:25
100% i agree! it's a tooth for a tooth and an eye for an eye...

mitchshrader
06-10-2007, 20:28
determined that 100% of all criminals reform completely after execution. there is no known case of them committing another antisocial act afterwards.

This fact seems to escape many people.

saki1611
06-10-2007, 20:33
Originally posted by saki1611
100% i agree! it's a tooth for a tooth and an eye for an eye... problem is the corrupt practice in our judicial systems. our lawyers here can attest that our criminal cases in court nowadays most likely don't win by its merits. iba na timbangan ni katarungan. :sad: :sad: :sad:

charlie-xray
06-11-2007, 00:17
No politician would dare bring it back, alam nyo bakit??? One word "Church".

horge
06-11-2007, 03:28
Originally posted by mitchshrader
determined that 100% of all criminals reform completely after execution. there is no known case of them committing another antisocial act afterwards.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mitch, I'm definitely going to use that, the next time I
can't dodge a capital-punishment debate with my sister-in-law.

PMMA97
06-11-2007, 04:28
Originally posted by mitchshrader

This will definitely work, until you, a relative or a loved one is condemned to die. Then you begin to question. :supergrin:

mikol
06-11-2007, 10:20
Originally posted by saki1611
:sad: :sad: :sad:
samin bosing meron ng bagong timbangan.
sakto sa timbang walang daya, kalimitan naka motorbike tapus dala-dalawa ang tumitimbang para siguradong eksato, 'di sobra di rin kulang.;) ;) ;)

horge
06-11-2007, 17:34
Originally posted by PMMA97
This will definitely work, until you, a relative or a loved one is condemned to die. Then you begin to question. :supergrin:

Touche'.
If the legal system and law enforcement were 100% reliable,
then there should be no opposition to the death penalty for
heinous crimes. However, very little in life is 100% reliable.

As cold as it sounds, law is dictated by the same forces that
shape the insurance industry: it's all a matter of what is an
acceptable level of loss, and what the projected loss will be
given the projected number of claims filed.

In a relatively crime free society (and I mean heinous crime),
capital punishment can be a mere option. In many cases, in order
to HAVE a relatively crime-free society, one needs to HAVE
capital punishment as an important component of crime deterrence:
Laws, particularly penal stipulations, are only damage control
and deterrent in the end.

The prevalence of heinous crime is ultimately determined by the
identity, nature, and quality of a people.

This is why the soundness of the family unit, the church,
and (at mere third) of the government, are crucial.

:)
JM2P

atmarcella
06-11-2007, 18:26
well said mr. H:thumbsup:

there is no such thing as 100% reliable, even in the states they have executed the wrong people, just 2 days back i was watching cnn and they executed a man for arson w/c killed his 2 kids, they said he did it on purpose, but just lately all of the arson indicators were debunked conclusively.

but, the gain is more than the loss.

antediluvianist
06-11-2007, 19:45
Yup, errors will be made. No human system is infallible.

It's like Statistics : "Type 1 Error" is to REJECT the hypothesis - (the hypothesis is innocence in our and American Law, not in all legal systems of course, so there is the "presumption of innocence")- so we execute the accused, but the hypothesis turns out to be true, and the executed guy was innocent); versus "Type 2 Error" ACCEPT the hypothesis - innocence - but it turns out to be false and the released guy was actually guilty.

The Roman system of " It is better that a hundred guilty people go free than that one innocent person is found guilty", and the Anglo-Saxon jury system requiring unanimous agreement of all jurors that criminal guilt has been proven beyond reasonable doubt, tend to favor type 2 error : guilty people going free.

Of course , locally, other factors also strongly affect which type of error predominates, as in rich politicians hiring the best lawyers etc. to get off murder raps (favors Type 2 error) ; and the really bad lawyers that the financially poor accused can afford (tends to favor type I error.) Then of course we don't have a jury system here so the Judge becomes the focal point of pressures, and we all know that money talks, cops and prosecutors are the way they are etc. I once took my neice, who is a judge in Germany, to observe a local murder trial. Well, it wasn't an impressive display of logic.

Yeah, it's mess, but we have to have some kind of system, even if it's a mess. The Church wins.

JBJ16
06-12-2007, 04:39
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Yup, errors will be made. No human system is infallible.

Agreed! Death penalty executed immediately after the crime has been commited(ie. within 48hrs. if there is positive eyewitness of the perp) minimizes if not eradicates these "errors", especially in those death penalty "sentences" carried out by the family of the agrieved party:impatient:

beemerphile
06-12-2007, 05:25
It does deter crime. No executed murderer has ever killed again.

charlie-xray
06-12-2007, 05:51
And the execution, should be MADE PUBLIC as much as possible.

Poodle
06-13-2007, 05:34
Well... :)

Alexii
06-14-2007, 04:29
Originally posted by charlie-xray
And the execution, should be MADE PUBLIC as much as possible.

...and TELEVISED in between commercials of primetime TV.