CCW, changing address [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW, changing address

blackbeast
06-11-2007, 03:16
I have my permit, and I know I need to notify the state police of my change of address. However, I can not find what the correct address is, and what needs to be in that letter. Any help?

R. Emmelman
06-11-2007, 04:56
http://www.in.gov/isp/firearms/

Firearms Licensing Section 317-233-5054

Hope this helps.

blackbeast
06-11-2007, 05:05
thanks for the help, I looked at the sight, but missed that.

Their stupid FAQ tells what form, and what department to send it to, however does not give links to said form, or the address.

Makes sense....

guess i'll give them a call in a couple of hours, and get myself all legal again.

HoosierShooter
06-11-2007, 10:43
Post up any info you get if you would as I will be needing to do the same.

blackbeast
06-11-2007, 13:33
called Firearms Licensing Section 317-233-5054

spoke with a lady there. She said that you need to send a $20 money order and a letter explaining the reason for a duplicate license to:

Indiana State Police
Attn: firearms/K.B.
100 N. Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204

I explained that their website only said you needed to send $20 if you wanted a new license w/ updated information. She said that that has changed, and you will need to send a money order no matter what. I really do not like this answer, I think I will be calling back tomorrow and see if I get ahold of someone else. Anyone else want to try?

HoosierShooter
06-11-2007, 14:19
Thats crap, I just renewed like last year... So do you have to pay another $100 to change the address on your lifetime?? Anyone know the penalty for not changing it or forgetting? I'm not worried now as I still own the house it's listed to and I still get my mail there.

R. Emmelman
06-11-2007, 15:53
From the ISP FAQ

My name or address has changed. Do I have to pay for a duplicate license?
No. Complete the “Duplicate Handgun License Request and Notification of Name or
Address Change Form” and mail or fax the form to the firearms section. Check that you
are notifying the section of your information change only. The change will be made in
the firearms database and there is no fee for this service. If you want a license issued
with the changes on it, then yes, the $20 fee for the duplicate license does apply.

And the Indiana Code

(i) If a person who holds a valid license to carry a handgun issued under this chapter:
(1) changes the person's name;
(2) changes the person's address; or
(3) experiences a change, including an arrest or a conviction, that may affect the person's status as a proper person (as defined in IC 35-47-1-7) or otherwise disqualify the person from holding a license;
the person shall, not later than thirty (30) days after the date of a change described under subdivision (3), and not later than sixty (60) days after the date of the change described under subdivision (1) or (2), notify the superintendent, in writing, of the event described under subdivision (3) or, in the case of a change under subdivision (1) or (2), the person's new name or new address.

Case closed, they are ignorant!

added - Ask them to cite where in the Indiana code they can charge for a change of address.

blackbeast
06-11-2007, 16:31
problem solved, think i'm just going to print out what you posted, along with a letter explaining my change of address. If they want money, they are going to have to contact me.

boby
06-12-2007, 04:56
Wow maybe I am not in compliance. When I moved I sent an email to the ISP. They then forwarded the email to the firearms division and I got an email back saying everything was changed succesfully...

jmb79
06-12-2007, 06:12
So, they should only charge the extra $20 if you request a new copy of you license that shows your new address...

I wonder whether a gun shop would have a problem with selling a handgun (no waiting) if the address on one's driver's license and carry license were not the same? I am not say there should be a problem, I'm just curious to know what a gun store's take on the matter is.

Steve, do you have any thoughts on this one?

sjstill
06-12-2007, 06:19
Pretty sure everything has to match. I'd have to look it up in my ATF manual, though.

The only info taken off the LTCH is issue/expire date, License # and originating agency.

I'll try to read what the 4473 & manual have to say, and report back.

4sarge
06-12-2007, 08:38
Originally posted by blackbeast
problem solved, think I'm just going to print out what you posted, along with a letter explaining my change of address. If they want money, they are going to have to contact me.

When I moved, I went to ISP Firearms and requested the change of address in person - They wanted $$ to actually issue a new updated piece of pink paper :upeyes: I got mine changed, since it's a Lifetime and not planning on moving for a long while :)

KSFreeman
06-12-2007, 09:06
I don't begrudge them that fee, as long as it really is used for range time for coppers.

R. Emmelman
06-12-2007, 09:15
Originally posted by KSFreeman
I don't begrudge them that fee, as long as it really is used for range time for coppers.
While I agree with the esteemed Mr. Freeman I do not like misinformation by those who should know. If you call the ISP firearms division they should know what they are talking about. There is no provision in the IC for charging anything for change of address.

4sarge
06-12-2007, 09:16
Originally posted by KSFreeman

I don't know where the $$'s go but the first time that I ever heard that it was spent on range time for anyone. My assumption is that it went into the State General Fund Coffers and I don't begrudge them because I didn't have to pay for the change :supergrin: I think that the Pink Paper used is cheesy and a little harder card stock could and should be used. If they actually spent some of that $$'s actually making improvements to the system, paying employees for their service or new printers for the licenses that would be a great start ;)

blackbeast
06-12-2007, 14:19
Originally posted by jmb79
So, they should only charge the extra $20 if you request a new copy of you license that shows your new address...

I wonder whether a gun shop would have a problem with selling a handgun (no waiting) if the address on one's driver's license and carry license were not the same? I am not say there should be a problem, I'm just curious to know what a gun store's take on the matter is.

Steve, do you have any thoughts on this one?

when I bought my first handgun, I had no license. Filled out the form, they made the phone call for the background check and I was out the door in 15 minutes...

HoosierShooter
07-25-2007, 13:10
If anyone is interested I found the address change form online here... http://www.in.gov/icpr/webfile/formsdiv/spolice.html

I figured I better get this changed before I fill out my FFL C&R forms.

Scutter01
07-25-2007, 14:16
Originally posted by jmb79

You don't need a LTCH to buy a handgun in Indiana, nor are you required to show one to a dealer to make a purchase. It's also not a substitute for a NICS check (by law). I fail to see how it would matter if it doesn't match your DL address (for the purpose of buying a handgun. Of course you still need to have it changed in the ISP database.).

4sarge
07-25-2007, 21:00
Originally posted by Scutter01
You don't need a LTCH to buy a handgun in Indiana, nor are you required to show one to a dealer to make a purchase. It's also not a substitute for a NICS check (by law). I fail to see how it would matter if it doesn't match your DL address (for the purpose of buying a handgun. Of course you still need to have it changed in the ISP database.).

I changed my address with ISP over a year ago and it seems every purchase that I've made since then the NICS & drivers license was the only check made. No one asked to see my permit. Now, I probably haven't purchased any handguns during that time period but long guns only.

blackbeast
07-26-2007, 02:59
as an update I sent in a letter explaining my change of address, and inability to find the forms. Also sent a printoff of the website outlining what needed done.

I have yet to recieve a letter, phone call, or email so I assume all is well.

4sarge
07-26-2007, 06:37
as an addendum - I went in person to ISP to change mine. Girl didn't seem interested in issuing a new permit, I insisted but had to wait and have it mailed to me. Her explanation was that printer system had to process licenses that were in que, so basically I had to wait my turn. Not disappointed, I think having the correct address info on your permit is a plus ;)

hiram2005p0
07-27-2007, 06:45
I changed mine and like has been said you only get a new permit if you pay for it. Never had a problem, if I am asked about the difference, I tell them I changed it with ISP and that's all they want to know.:thumbsup:BTW all mine was done on the phone.:)

boilergonzo
07-27-2007, 10:44
I just moved. I was told to fax, email, or mail in my information (full name, DOB, permit #, old and new address).

The lady was nice, and said she would send confirmation of the update to me via email, since I was emailing mine in. No charge.

After reading the State Code, since I did notify them in writing of the change, I have complied. As soon as I get confirmation email, I will print and save, but other than that, I think I am finished.

Scutter01
07-27-2007, 16:22
Originally posted by boilergonzo

After reading the State Code, since I did notify them in writing of the change, I have complied. As soon as I get confirmation email, I will print and save, but other than that, I think I am finished.

Personally, I would send it registered mail so I have a record that the request was sent (and received), but I do that with all important correspondence.