We need your support on Hunting in VA on Sundays [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : We need your support on Hunting in VA on Sundays


Nicky9
06-11-2007, 09:57
Post up your thoughts the Dgif of VA is asking for imput on this topic. Open up Sundays for hunters!!!
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/regulations/comment/details.asp?id=49
Thanks
Nicky9

klt1986
06-11-2007, 12:38
I support hunting on Sundays but we need to be contacting our state Senators and Delegates. The power to change this law resides in the General Assembly.

vafish
06-11-2007, 14:02
I agree with klt1986,

I attended a meeting here in NoVA with the VDGIF. They said their hands are tied by the General Assembly on the Sunday Hunting issue. It's state law that bans it, not VDGIF game regulations.

They really want to open up hunting here in NoVA and get more deer killed, the population is out of control. They were even entertaining ideas like no limits on doe and a year round doe season.

Jerseycitysteve
06-11-2007, 21:04
Only at 1300 hours.

Wolfgang
06-13-2007, 11:45
nope, no way!

Sunday is the only day I can walk on my farm and not have hunters try to run me off.

Some hunters have no respect for property and the owners. They come on it and act like they own it.

Once I was asked, "Who gave you permission to be here?"


No, no way!

Nicky9
06-13-2007, 12:09
I understand your postion and absolutely respect it. I hope your land is POSTED and the only way to deter trespassing is to call it in. You should feel safe on your land... as it is your property. You should regulate your property as if it were someone in your house... call the police or game warden... that will reduce the activity and send a message. And if your land isnt POSTED properly... the trespassing will neverend. I do not own land, so my push is for public land hunting. If you are close i can watch your property during hunting season... :supergrin:
Are you by a National Forest of public game land? Makes sense if you are. I always look for markers and topo maps to avoid be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Good luck.

vafish
06-13-2007, 14:02
vigorus enforcement is whats needed to stop tresspassers.

I have a friend who has some property that backs up to the Rapahanock river. Someone listed her property as a great placeto access the river. She had tons of people parking on her property, dumping their trash, ect.... Posted huge signs, didn't make any difference.

She ended up hiring an armed guard to patrol her property on weekends. It took a couple months of enforcement, but it's been about 5 years since anyone has tried to use her property to access the river.

Hunterjbb
06-15-2007, 20:29
On sunday's.. now.. the trick is having a place to hunt :)

Seems to be a bit of a pickle regarding that,, 1. clubs seems to be overly expensive.. 2. i'm not very fond of hunting public property, safety and game availability etc.. 3.i'm not from VA originally so those contacts you have about "sure come down to the farm and hunt" don't exist.. lol.

I hunted public lands first year i was here.. fond a nice spot setup for deer before daylight, nice deer sine in the area, poof.. 8am 25 dogs come roaring through.. hunters close behind.. so much for deer hunting. packed up and went home.

Had a place to hunt on a friends property, small.. but they are now building houses around it, no more hunting.

I've had a couple guys say, sure we'll get together and hunt.. yeah well..

AS for idiots trespassing on peoples farms.. well i've had to deal with that when i hunted in PA in the Pocono's and later again in Lehigh county.. IT's a PAIN.. I've had people claim they owned the land after asking who gave them permission... :shocked: when i was standing there with the actual owner, that sort of ended kind of funny really..

Sure love to hunt on Sunday... got a place ? Last year was the first year since 1983 since i didn't have a hunting liscence.. bummed.

Jeff.

klt1986
06-16-2007, 09:00
Originally posted by Wolfgang
nope, no way!

Sunday is the only day I can walk on my farm and not have hunters try to run me off.

Some hunters have no respect for property and the owners. They come on it and act like they own it.

Once I was asked, "Who gave you permission to be here?"


No, no way!



No offense intended, but that is probably the worst excuse I have ever heard for keeping the Sunday hunting ban. If your property is not properly posted, post it. Then prosecute those who fail to obey the warnings.

Wolfgang
06-16-2007, 14:57
Originally posted by klt1986
No offense intended, but that is probably the worst excuse I have ever heard for keeping the Sunday hunting ban. If your property is not properly posted, post it. Then prosecute those who fail to obey the warnings.

Maybe the worst excuse you have heard, but I sure it isn't the worst excuse ever!!!!

:banana:

You sound like the group that is against carry. Call 911 when there is a problem. There is no need for anyone to have a gun, etc, etc,...:)

with all due respect.

the problem is that the few ruin things for the masses. Just like in school, one bad kid and all are punished. Except, in today's world, no one is punished.

vafish
06-16-2007, 18:24
Originally posted by Wolfgang
Maybe the worst excuse you have heard, but I sure it isn't the worst excuse ever!!!!

:banana:

You sound like the group that is against carry. Call 911 when there is a problem. There is no need for anyone to have a gun, etc, etc,...:)

with all due respect.

the problem is that the few ruin things for the masses. Just like in school, one bad kid and all are punished. Except, in today's world, no one is punished.

so you are ok with people trespassing on your property Monday through Saturday?

or are you against hunting all together?

klt1986
06-16-2007, 18:43
Originally posted by Wolfgang
Maybe the worst excuse you have heard, but I sure it isn't the worst excuse ever!!!!

:banana:

You sound like the group that is against carry. Call 911 when there is a problem. There is no need for anyone to have a gun, etc, etc,...:)

with all due respect.

the problem is that the few ruin things for the masses. Just like in school, one bad kid and all are punished. Except, in today's world, no one is punished.


I am all for CCW, in fact I wish more Virginian's had permits. Where did you get I was an "anti" from my post? Please explain how posting your property and then prosecuting anyone caught on your property without permission is letting someone else handle things? From the sound of your original post, it seems you are doing nothing to try to stop the trespassing.

Jerseycitysteve
06-16-2007, 19:12
No Sunday hunting is just nostalgia for when this was a Christian country.

Sigh.

Wolfgang
06-17-2007, 11:13
Originally posted by vafish
so you are ok with people trespassing on your property Monday through Saturday?

or are you against hunting all together?


I am totally surprised at you! I expect better from you.

The whole thing is respect and the respect for the property of others.

I think you can figure it out. If not then I can't explain it!:)


I think I can figure out who I would give permission to hunt from the responses posted here.:)


No Sunday hunting is just nostalgia for when this was a Christian country.

Sigh.

Christian country....now that is a novel idea!:)

vafish
06-18-2007, 06:51
Originally posted by Wolfgang
I am totally surprised at you! I expect better from you.

The whole thing is respect and the respect for the property of others.

I think you can figure it out. If not then I can't explain it!:)



I'm confused by your statements.

The way I understand what you have said, you don't want Sunday hunting anywhere in the state because you have problems with trespassers and the only day you don't have problems with them is Sunday.

You seem to want to penalize everyone in the state because you have problems with trespassers.

What I'm saying is if you have problems with trespassers you need to deal with that problem, sounds like you are out in the country, remember growing up and there was always some old man with a garden (that had the best watermelons) who had a reputation for shooting kids with rock salt? Kids tended to stay out of his garden. I'm not saying you need to shoot trespassers, but you need to actively and aggressively engage them. Post signs, get the Sheriff and Game Warden involved, start writing down license plate numbers, serve some of them with civil warrants. When you start doing that word will get around and the trespassing will stop.

klt1986
06-18-2007, 08:51
Originally posted by vafish
I'm confused by your statements.

The way I understand what you have said, you don't want Sunday hunting anywhere in the state because you have problems with trespassers and the only day you don't have problems with them is Sunday.

You seem to want to penalize everyone in the state because you have problems with trespassers.

What I'm saying is if you have problems with trespassers you need to deal with that problem, sounds like you are out in the country, remember growing up and there was always some old man with a garden (that had the best watermelons) who had a reputation for shooting kids with rock salt? Kids tended to stay out of his garden. I'm not saying you need to shoot trespassers, but you need to actively and aggressively engage them. Post signs, get the Sheriff and Game Warden involved, start writing down license plate numbers, serve some of them with civil warrants. When you start doing that word will get around and the trespassing will stop.


+1 vafish. I suggested the same thing to Wolfgang for dealing with the trespassers and I was accused of being an "anti". Maybe it was the way I stated my opinion!

;)

Navy87Guy
06-18-2007, 19:04
Originally posted by Wolfgang
You sound like the group that is against carry. Call 911 when there is a problem. There is no need for anyone to have a gun, etc, etc,...

Big difference. The anti's will call 911 when a citizen is exercising a legal right to carry ("Officer, there's a man with a gun at the mall!"). What you're describing (and the others are advocating action against) is someone breaking the law...namely, trespassing on personal property. We all want to stand on our "legal rights" when it comes to gun rights...so why turn a blind eye when other laws are being violated? If I'm speeding, I expect (and deserve) a ticket when I get caught. Depending on the severity of the punishment, I might even consider sticking to the speed limit in the future. I think all anyone here is saying is that rather than just tolerate random hunters violating your rights, that you should enforce the law -- or stop complaining about it. You sound like you want to eat your cake and have it, too.

Jim

watsoncb
06-18-2007, 20:32
I have to say I stand with Wolfgang on this one. Whether or not Wolfgang enforces or does not enforce no hunting on his property, he should be able to say he is against the Sunday hunting change - and NOT be seen as anti CCW.

I may not agree with him, but pushing his opinion against Sunday hunting as being no guns seems harsh.

I support Wolfgang's right to say no and still be a respected and honored member. :thumbsup:

There is more that unites us than separates us.

klt1986
06-18-2007, 21:23
Originally posted by watsoncb
I have to say I stand with Wolfgang on this one. Whether or not Wolfgang enforces or does not enforce no hunting on his property, he should be able to say he is against the Sunday hunting change - and NOT be seen as anti CCW.

I may not agree with him, but pushing his opinion against Sunday hunting as being no guns seems harsh.

I support Wolfgang's right to say no and still be a respected and honored member. :thumbsup:

There is more that unites us than separates us.



Wolfgang accused me of being an "anti" after I posted my opinion of his opinion and suggested to him to post his property and prosecute trespassers. I should have kept my mouth shut!:) I have no problem with Wolfgang allowing who he wants or when he wants someone to hunt his farm. It is his he can do with it what he wants. My opinion was based on the fact that he is punishing law abiding hunters, and hunters who work during the week because he has a trespassing problem.

Navy87Guy
06-19-2007, 13:51
Originally posted by watsoncb
I have to say I stand with Wolfgang on this one. Whether or not Wolfgang enforces or does not enforce no hunting on his property, he should be able to say he is against the Sunday hunting change - and NOT be seen as anti CCW.

No one accused Wolfgang of being an anti -- he compared klt1986 to an anti because klt1986 recommended enforcing the law. Wolfgang was implying that alling the cops when someone is breaking the law (like trespassing) is the same thing the anti's do when they call 911 because someone is open carrying. Big difference and not a valid comparison.

Jim

Wolfgang
06-20-2007, 12:55
....and this is supposed to convince me to support your cause????

klt1986
06-21-2007, 13:40
Originally posted by Wolfgang
....and this is supposed to convince me to support your cause????


If you can't understand that trespassing and Sunday hunting are two different issues, then I don't see anyone changing your mind. I do wish you luck with the trespassing problem though.:) It takes just a few law breaking hunters to make things hard on the rest of us.

Wolfgang
06-21-2007, 14:23
Originally posted by klt1986
If you can't understand that trespassing and Sunday hunting are two different issues, then I don't see anyone changing your mind. I do wish you luck with the trespassing problem though.:) It takes just a few law breaking hunters to make things hard on the rest of us.


trespass---any day of the week

hunting---six days a week

Sunday---go to church, have lunch, and take an enjoyable walk over your property or a friends' property (invited of course).


you are exactly correct: It takes just a few law breaking hunters to make things hard on the rest of us.


Oh, and did I mention the hunting dogs that run all over?


In all reality, I don't know that we really disagree on this matter. Whether hunting on Sunday or not, it all boils down to respect of your fellow man. Unfortunately, this is something that is rapidly disappearing in this world.

klt1986
06-21-2007, 18:06
Originally posted by Wolfgang
trespass---any day of the week

hunting---six days a week

Sunday---go to church, have lunch, and take an enjoyable walk over your property or a friends' property (invited of course).


you are exactly correct: It takes just a few law breaking hunters to make things hard on the rest of us.


Oh, and did I mention the hunting dogs that run all over?


In all reality, I don't know that we really disagree on this matter. Whether hunting on Sunday or not, it all boils down to respect of your fellow man. Unfortunately, this is something that is rapidly disappearing in this world.


Hmmmm....I am 1 county west of the "dog line" so that is one thing I don't have to contend with.

Hunterjbb
06-21-2007, 19:00
Originally posted by Wolfgang

In all reality, I don't know that we really disagree on this matter. Whether hunting on Sunday or not, it all boils down to respect of your fellow man. Unfortunately, this is something that is rapidly disappearing in this world.

Well said..


Children today do not face the consequences of thier actions like the 30-40-50 year olds and up generations did.. it shows.. This is of course not true in all cases but for the most part it's my belief..

And Dogs should be used to hunt Birds and Rabbits.. THAT's IT...

If you want to hunt on Sunday and you have a place to go that's legal it's my belief that you should be able to. I only wish i had a place to go :) lol..

Jeff.

Wolfgang
06-22-2007, 06:50
Originally posted by Hunterjbb

If you want to hunt on Sunday and you have a place to go that's legal it's my belief that you should be able to. I only wish i had a place to go :) lol..
Jeff.

How close to Genito Rd are you?

I am about 2 1/2 hours west of you. My son just got married (4-28) at Celebrations and now lives in Richmond.

Hunterjbb
06-22-2007, 20:24
Originally posted by Wolfgang
How close to Genito Rd are you?

I am about 2 1/2 hours west of you. My son just got married (4-28) at Celebrations and now lives in Richmond.

First off. Pass along congratulations to your son on his nuptials :banana:

I live on Lucks Lane.. which is not very far from Genito.. depending on which part of Genito your at..

For me a drive of an hour, two hours to hunt would be ok.. I must say i did get spoiled when i lived in PA 20 minutes and i had access to 180acres of farm's.. man i miss that.

Jeff.

spenceinva
07-07-2007, 14:03
I'm all for Sunday hunting and may not even hunt Sunday if it passes. The working guy who only gets one day a week to hunt is the one who deserves this. That said, if it doesn't pass no big deal to me.
As far as dog hunting, well if you don't like it too bad. It is a tradition in this part of the state and a come here is the last person who ought to be slinging comments like that. And this from a guy who grew up in the mountains where a dog running deer was shot on sight. If you get a chance try it you may actually enjoy yourself.


Spence