IDNR re: carbines in pistol calibers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IDNR re: carbines in pistol calibers


KSFreeman
06-11-2007, 12:43
Did not see this posted before but apparently the proposed rule on deer hunting with pistol caliber carbines has been approved and is on its way to Mitch.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/about/rules.html

"Administrative Rule (Regulation) Changes

RIFLES WITH PISTOL CARTRIDGES

The Natural Resources Commission approved the proposal to allow rifles with pistol cartridges on May 22. Once the rule changes are approved by the Attorney Generalís Office and Governorís office, they will become law later this year. The rifles with pistol cartridges that meet the specifications listed below will be allowed during this yearís deer firearms season which takes place from November 17 through December 2.

The rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications:

A) fire a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of an inch (.357) diameter or larger;
(B) have a minimum case length of one and sixteen hundredths (1.16) inches; and
(C) have a maximum case length of one and six hundred twenty-five thousandths (1.625) inches.


Some cartridges that will be legal include the following:

.357 Magnum
.38-40 Winchester
.41 Magnum
.41 Special
.44 Magnum
.44 Special
.44-.40 Winchester
.45 Colt
.454 Casull
.480 Ruger
.475 Linebaugh
.50 Action Express
.500 S&W"

****************

Kirk's editorial comment: I see this as a positive. Now, to introduce centerfire rifles for deer hunting and end DNR's magic ballistic theory!:banana:

R. Emmelman
06-11-2007, 12:53
Now if I could just use my Glock....

KSFreeman
06-11-2007, 13:20
Maybe you can use that "new Glock carbine that will be released any day now"!:rofl: :animlol:

Reagan40
06-14-2007, 13:32
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Did not see this posted before but apparently the proposed rule on deer hunting with pistol caliber carbines has been approved and is on its way to Mitch.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/about/rules.html

"Administrative Rule (Regulation) Changes

RIFLES WITH PISTOL CARTRIDGES

The Natural Resources Commission approved the proposal to allow rifles with pistol cartridges on May 22. Once the rule changes are approved by the Attorney Generalís Office and Governorís office, they will become law later this year. The rifles with pistol cartridges that meet the specifications listed below will be allowed during this yearís deer firearms season which takes place from November 17 through December 2.

The rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications:

A) fire a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of an inch (.357) diameter or larger;
(B) have a minimum case length of one and sixteen hundredths (1.16) inches; and
(C) have a maximum case length of one and six hundred twenty-five thousandths (1.625) inches.


Some cartridges that will be legal include the following:

.357 Magnum
.38-40 Winchester
.41 Magnum
.41 Special
.44 Magnum
.44 Special
.44-.40 Winchester
.45 Colt
.454 Casull
.480 Ruger
.475 Linebaugh
.50 Action Express
.500 S&W"

****************

Kirk's editorial comment: I see this as a positive. Now, to introduce centerfire rifles for deer hunting and end DNR's magic ballistic theory!:banana:


I would love to use my AR to deer hunt. I have a bad shoulder, so my 12 gauge just hurts a bit. Its not like Im going to try shooting a deer at 300 yrds or anything... :50cal:

Patrick Graham
06-14-2007, 15:21
Sooooo..

What are you guys thinkin on gettin here..??

My first thought is a Marlin lever action in 44 mag..

Or

A G2 Contender Rifle.. that way I could play around with either 44mag or 357 mag..

absrio
06-14-2007, 20:38
I was thinking about getting into deer hunting with a .458 socom AR

Skpotamus
06-15-2007, 00:02
I printed out a bunch of short range ballistics from Speer and sierra's reloading manuals for the various example cartridges that are commonly available. Most had a max effective range of 100 yards, with a LOT of drop at 150. The 44 and .357 were only dropping about 5-6" at 150 yards, with the 454 casull performing the same from a 14" pistol barrel as the 44 mag from a 20". (Note, I couldn't find data on a 500 out of a rifle).


I'm torn between the Marlin in 44, or a Puma Legacy in 44, I like the marlin better, but the pumas have a 24" barrel.


The .458 is an idea though... hmmm

Rhinodogg
06-19-2007, 05:56
I bought a Handi-Rifle in 500 S&W. It's got a bit more recoil than I was expecting. Will be a fun, expensive shooter.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/Rhinodogg/500Handi.jpg

Rhinodogg
06-19-2007, 05:58
Originally posted by Skpotamus
I printed out a bunch of short range ballistics from Speer and sierra's reloading manuals for the various example cartridges that are commonly available. Most had a max effective range of 100 yards, with a LOT of drop at 150. The 44 and .357 were only dropping about 5-6" at 150 yards, with the 454 casull performing the same from a 14" pistol barrel as the 44 mag from a 20". (Note, I couldn't find data on a 500 out of a rifle).


I'm torn between the Marlin in 44, or a Puma Legacy in 44, I like the marlin better, but the pumas have a 24" barrel.


The .458 is an idea though... hmmm

I've heard that the marlin 1894's are having trouble stabilizing bullets over 250 gr. The Pumas are near impossible to put scopes on.

Skpotamus
06-19-2007, 23:32
You'd have to drill and tap the puma's, at first glance, it looks like it would take a Winchester 92 setup scope base, have to check with our gunsmith though.

I've not heard that about the marlins, I'll have to do some digging, although I've been using a 240 grain for my deagle this last year.

KSFreeman
06-20-2007, 05:44
Is the .458 SOCOM short enough to be the requirements???

HoosierShooter
06-20-2007, 06:52
Whatever, you'll only keep it a few weeks and then get something else. Looks like fun though, I'll bet the neighbors love that one.

Originally posted by Rhinodogg
I bought a Handi-Rifle in 500 S&W. It's got a bit more recoil than I was expecting. Will be a fun, expensive shooter.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/Rhinodogg/500Handi.jpg

absrio
06-20-2007, 06:53
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Is the .458 SOCOM short enough to be the requirements???

Official trim length is 1.575"