Apple releases Safari for Windows (beta for now) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Apple releases Safari for Windows (beta for now)

Deanster
06-11-2007, 13:57
Apple announced today that they're offering their Safari browser in a Windows version.

As of today, you can download a public beta version from http://www.apple.com/safari/

Apple claims that it's twice as fast as Internet Explorer in displaying pages, and even faster for running Javascript...

I've downloaded it, and it looks pretty good, though I didn't especially think Internet Explorer was bad from a speed point of view.

Will be very interesting to see how secure, fast, and easy to use Safari is on Windows - it's been a great browser for me on the Mac side, and if it's solid on Windows, I'll be very happy.

Not sure it will pull in 1000's of Firefox or Mozilla users - but who knows?

Washington,D.C.
06-11-2007, 21:35
I'm going to try running it in Linux with Wine.

IndyGunFreak
06-12-2007, 04:58
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
I'm going to try running it in Linux with Wine.

You might have better luck than I did, but the terminal kept spitting out this message over and over and over as I tried to install it..

fixme:msi:ACTION_CustomAction msidbCustomActionTypeNoImpersonate not handled
fixme:msi:ACTION_CustomAction Rollback only action... rollbacks not supported yet

The Installer wouldn't crash, it would just never progress.

IGF

Washington,D.C.
06-12-2007, 05:27
I noticed it's only designed for Windows XP and Vista. So maybe lack of Windows 2000 support and especially lack of Windows 98 support makes it difficult to work with Wine. I've had IE6 run in Wine before.