Website Design with Sharepoint? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Website Design with Sharepoint?

Cali-Glock
06-11-2007, 20:12
It is time to update on of my business websites, and for what I need, I really need to hire a pro to create a new site. I requested a bid from our web host folks who manage our sites and this is part of what they suggest:

We talked this over and we both suggest that this new site be
built off Microsoft's Sharepoint 3.0 Team services system. Sharepoint allows very extensive online admin tools to update the site via a web browser. It also allows for a protected area for members and admins.

I just glanced at Microsoft's Sharepoint website, and I am not sure I understand how this tool will be an advantage to us.

Any insights or advice?

prism
06-12-2007, 00:57
what kind of websites do you have now?

are they interactive? connected?

Cali-Glock
06-16-2007, 22:30
Originally posted by prism
what kind of websites do you have now?

are they interactive? connected?

This site is fairly basic technology wise. I created it in early 2000 - basic HTML franes with javascript menus.

I have probably 225 pages in the site.

about 10% is public, 90% password protected.

Essentially the site has several hundred documents. Some in Adobe Acrobat, others in PowerPoint, and some other stuff but most are straightforward formated html pages ready for printing.

The menus are set up for ease of finding the appropriate document the client may need.

We are changing our name, logos, and updating the site to probably double the number of "documents". The way the site is currently set up it is fairly easy for me to add content.

My goal is to have our webmaster set up a new modern site, with current coding technology which looks and runs better and incorporates our new namestyle, logos, and some added services, yet be set up in a manner where I can come in and add additional content pages myself. I hope to add another couple hundred "pages" (each page may be many pages in length, I am simply refering to unique webpages) of content later this year.

Thus the suggestion by my web folks to set it up using Sharepoint 3.0 - seeing that I had never even heard of Sharepoint, and the links I find to it don't seem to directly apply to websites, I wanted some insight and input.