Finally ! Gas at $2,89 down from what $3.50+? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Finally ! Gas at $2,89 down from what $3.50+?

FThorn
06-13-2007, 08:31
http://www.indygasprices.com/

$2.83 at one place....

Whew... good to be under $3. But still BAD to be over $2, IMO.

KSFreeman
06-13-2007, 09:13
Boo hiss! Gas should be $8 a gallon to keep you people from driving on my roads (I pay enough in taxes to have purchased all roads everywhere so they are mine).

I was stuck on 465 Monday and probably will be stuck in traffic on 465 today. I did not see a single other car with two or more people in it! Yeah, real worried about gasoline costs.

If gasoline is so expensive, why are all you people in my way?:banana:

MikeL74
06-13-2007, 11:15
Originally posted by FThorn
Whew... good to be under $3. But still BAD to be over $2, IMO. [/B]
It was under $1 when I moved here just 10 years ago. Even the "panic gouging" prices on 9/11/01 were only about $1.899 (up from about $1.39 the day before IIRC). So it's all relative.

I paid $2.899 in Speedway on Monday, but the other dozen stations I went past were still above $2.92 and still are today.

JimK
06-13-2007, 15:26
Gas is still around 3.16 a gallon here in the South Bend area. Usually always higher here then in other areas around us. Gas was 3.58 a gallon a week back . Although when Clinton left office gas was $1.46 a gallon. Which means since Bush has been in office gas has risen WELL OVER 100% . Along with huge health care coverage costs . The only thing that hasn`t risen dramatically is my wages .

KSFreeman
06-14-2007, 06:04
Stuck on 465 going to Indy and got stuck on 465 from Indy. Looked at the cars, trucks and SUVs all around me. Every single vehicle had one, ONE person in it.

Yeah, right, gasoline is sooooo expensive and people are soooo concerned over the price that's why car pool and bike to work.:upeyes:

Rikki
06-14-2007, 06:25
I haven't driven my Explorer (16mpg) for weeks.
My Suzuki DS 400 got 72mpg last tank. I'm enjoying "getting there" a whole lot more, too!

Patrick Graham
06-14-2007, 07:41
I'd like to know why the democrats aren't doing a damn thing about this..

They control 2/3s of our government now and they need to be getting off their butts and start doing something about gas prices.

They seem to think that all us stupid americans are intereted in is show trials over the fired federal prosecutors..

The Dems had a chance here and they are blowing it..

KSFreeman
06-14-2007, 08:15
What could they do? Approve legislation for drilling in Alaska or the Gulf of Mexico? Tax credits for wildcatters? Slash federal taxes on gasoline? Easing environmental regulations for the building of new refineries?

Anything they do will be shouted down by the Democratic base on MoveOn.org claiming that "Chimpy McHaliburton" will benefit and women and minorities will suffer.

No reason for Democrats, or anyone in govnerment, to do anything. Everyone is still driving. Just look at the traffic. Did you see anyone riding a bike or walking to work this morning? Not a soul.

People still waddle to their SUVs alone and drive 1.2 miles to work and then gripe about gasoline per gallon. If it hurt them, they would not drive.

Patrick Graham
06-14-2007, 08:44
Originally posted by KSFreeman
What could they do? Approve legislation for drilling in Alaska or the Gulf of Mexico? Tax credits for wildcatters? Slash federal taxes on gasoline? Easing environmental regulations for the building of new refineries?

Anything they do will be shouted down by the Democratic base on MoveOn.org claiming that "Chimpy McHaliburton" will benefit and women and minorities will suffer.

No reason for Democrats, or anyone in govnerment, to do anything. Everyone is still driving. Just look at the traffic. Did you see anyone riding a bike or walking to work this morning? Not a soul.

People still waddle to their SUVs alone and drive 1.2 miles to work and then gripe about gasoline per gallon. If it hurt them, they would not drive.

The democrats can do just as much as bush could.. which is nothing.. but he took the blame for it like a man...

Now that the democrats are runing the show they are going to take the blame for it.. and when they refuse to take the blame for what happened on their watch they will get their noses rubbed in it..

That's how American politics has been for the last 20 years..

boilergonzo
06-14-2007, 09:16
I will complain about gas prices when it costs more than a vending machine (or convenience store) coke or water individual serving. Until then, it is a luxury. Look at the size of our cars and the relative number of economy cars (and the old Toyota Camry's and Honda Accords are no longer small economy cars... they have drifted up in size substantially!). Where have the 49 MPG Civics gone? Replaced by Sport Utes!

So with Coke at roughly $8 per gallon ($1 for 16 ounces), and bottled water at $9.60 per gallon ($1.50 for 20 ounces) I think gas is still one heck of a deal.

Water: Find water (very easy), filter it, bottle it, deliver to distribution warehouse, distribute.

Coke: Insert "add sugar, carbonation, and flavors to easy-to-find-water".

Gas: Find some dead dinosuars/million year old forest floor/ancient liquid carbon-containing goo (very hard), drill to extract oil (very hard), pump out oil, load onto huge ship and ship half way around the world (optionally: build several thousand mile long pipes from a very cold area, and push oil through to refinery, also hard), take to refinery, heat it up to selectively bubble off and gather various fractions, modify it to meet EPA rules with additives or further refining, put it in a tanker, drive it to a gas station, put it back in the ground, pay someone to keep the EPA happy about the gas in the ground, and finally have the customer pump it back out of the ground using a device routinely calibrated by the State, with special taxes levied by the government built into the price.

Gas is relatively cheap...

JimK
06-14-2007, 11:47
Originally posted by boilergonzo
I will complain about gas prices when it costs more than a vending machine (or convenience store) coke or water individual serving. Until then, it is a luxury. Look at the size of our cars and the relative number of economy cars (and the old Toyota Camry's and Honda Accords are no longer small economy cars... they have drifted up in size substantially!). Where have the 49 MPG Civics gone? Replaced by Sport Utes!

So with Coke at roughly $8 per gallon ($1 for 16 ounces), and bottled water at $9.60 per gallon ($1.50 for 20 ounces) I think gas is still one heck of a deal.

Water: Find water (very easy), filter it, bottle it, deliver to distribution warehouse, distribute.

Coke: Insert "add sugar, carbonation, and flavors to easy-to-find-water".

Gas: Find some dead dinosuars/million year old forest floor/ancient liquid carbon-containing goo (very hard), drill to extract oil (very hard), pump out oil, load onto huge ship and ship half way around the world (optionally: build several thousand mile long pipes from a very cold area, and push oil through to refinery, also hard), take to refinery, heat it up to selectively bubble off and gather various fractions, modify it to meet EPA rules with additives or further refining, put it in a tanker, drive it to a gas station, put it back in the ground, pay someone to keep the EPA happy about the gas in the ground, and finally have the customer pump it back out of the ground using a device routinely calibrated by the State, with special taxes levied by the government built into the price.

Gas is relatively cheap... Problem is I don`t go through 7-8 gallons of coke in a weeks time, but I do gas. I do drive an economy car of sorts Hyundai Elantra.And I think like myself there is no way to car pool with someone . 16 miles one way is a little too much for me to bike also. I would be to tired to work after that. If I sat behind a desk then maybe I would try it , but I`m on my feat the whole shift.

fire1035
06-15-2007, 13:33
Well. I have been riding the bike to take my son to daycare in the morning, only about a mile, but still I figure that's a little less I use. I would ride the bike to my part time but 10 miles each way is to far on the mountain bike. Next spring when I get my road bike I will be riding to the part time daily. I won't be riding to the firehouse as it is 26 miles each way, I would have to leave the house at like 5:30 and there is no good way to get here from there especially in the dark.

But the Saturn does get like 30 mpg so it's not to bad I guess.