Walther P22 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Walther P22

Cokeman
06-13-2007, 20:00
Does VanWagenen's have the best price on Walther P22s this week?

Steve Koski
06-13-2007, 20:27
They usually do.

ElConquistador
06-13-2007, 20:39
Odds are good that they do. See if they still have the handwritten sign in the display case, "Walthers are cute, Rugers are better".:rofl:

You didn't ask opinions on your choice so I'll spare you mine.

Steve Koski
06-13-2007, 21:44
I agree with the sign, which must be very old by now.

reerc
06-14-2007, 07:35
Is price your sole criteria? Are you willing to put up with Norm's anti-service?

Some are, some are not.

For some, buying a gun entails developing a more complete relationship with a decent, respectful person.

If the relationship is only about a few bucks, gopher it.

Cokeman
06-14-2007, 20:02
I know he can be a jerk. Is that all I should expect or does he do something worse?

Steve Koski
06-14-2007, 20:55
He's just blunt. If you pretend to be an expert, he can be rude, although those that 'pretend' to be experts usually can't tell he's being rude.

He's not a shooter, so don't ask him how they shoot or what he likes.

Cokeman
06-14-2007, 20:58
I wonder if Doug's will match his price. I like the guy there a lot more.

reerc
06-15-2007, 15:19
For me it was much, much worse; I wasn't pretending to be an expert at all.

I told him I was thinking of selling a gun and what asking price I'd seen similar guns listed for on line. He then proceded to mock and humiliate me - literally accusing me of being from another planet, in a rant that continued for - what seemed to me several minutes. I was flabbergasted that a businessman would treat a potential customer like that.

Now, why on earth would I ever even consider pulling money out of my pocket and put it in his?

Others' experiences have probably not been as sever as mine, and to save a few bucks must be willing to put up with his rudeness and BS. To each their own.

I shall never darken his door again.

Cokeman
06-16-2007, 00:09
I went there tonight and they were closed. I went to Gunnies and they were selling them for $259. I had money in my pocket and thought I might buy one. The sales guy did his best to convince me not to buy one, so I didn't. When I didn't buy the gun, he actually seemed very pleased with himself like he had accomplished something great. I'll get one somewhere else.

Steve Koski
06-16-2007, 06:28
This is why you shouldn't buy one.

It feels good in your hand.

It looks cute.

That's all of it's good points.

The Ruger MKIII series is uglier, heavier, costs about the same, is more accurate, and will eat almost any ammunition on the planet. And your grandkids will still be shooting it with their kids after you're dead.

Cokeman
06-16-2007, 10:42
I just can't stand the look of the look of the Ruger. Lately, it seems that people have been having good luck with the P22.

You don't work at Gunnies do you? ;)

reerc
06-16-2007, 11:51
My next .22 pistol will be a Ruger, I have and like the Buckmark.

Looks are nice, but reliability trumps.

Steve Koski
06-16-2007, 19:08
My 9 year old son can't operate the Ruger by himself. This is one drawback of the Ruger: the bolt is fairly stiff to pull, and the safety and slide release require a firm touch.

Cokeman
06-16-2007, 19:27
My friend has a Ruger. I don't remember the slide being that stiff. It has been a while though. I'll have to shoot that one again.

Steve Koski
06-16-2007, 20:47
It's not stiff in a man's hands (that sounds bad...), but hand it to a 10 year old and see what happens.

Steve Koski
06-16-2007, 20:48
This post is solely because my daughter wants to see the dancing bananas.

:banana:

reerc
06-16-2007, 21:28
Originally posted by Steve Koski

You're a good daddy, Steve.

Who doesn't like the dancing bananas?

Woo Hoo!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

:thumbsup:

Cokeman
06-16-2007, 21:30

So...where are they?

Oh yeah. I adblocked them. They seem to grab my attention and make it so I can't see anything else on the page. Movement of any kind is a killer for me.

TylerDurden
06-17-2007, 02:15
It's not stiff in a man's hands, but hand it to a 10 year old and see what happens.

Oh man... that is great sig line material right there and could be used against you in court someday.

:rofl:

Oh, and to the OP - get a Ruger.

RMTactical
06-17-2007, 02:34
I went with the P22 for a couple reasons. The main one being, I much prefer the size of it to the Ruger and the Browning (and this is pretty much just a plinker for me, nothing serious). And on top of that, they are easier to suppress (for cheaper), which is something I wanted to have the option to do later on.

So far, it's been great... although I haven't shot more than 100 rounds through it. I'm planning on giving it a really good break in within the next couple weeks. We shall see how she shines, but so far it's been great.

I'm sure I'll buy a Ruger later on down the road too...

As for Norm... well, I am not sure if he is rude or if he is just wierd. I've never exactly thought to myself that he was being "mean" or "rude", but with that said, I can see how others may feel that way. Maybe I have thick skin... He is a unique fella though, no doubt.

He has always had some of the best prices I have seen ANYWHERE on many guns... I've probably bought at least 4-5 guns from him throughout the past 7 years...

reerc
06-17-2007, 11:01
It's not stiff in a man's hands, but hand it to a 10 year old and see what happens.

You're killin' me, man.

Who needs enemys with friends like us?

:rofl:

RyDC
06-18-2007, 20:41
I got my MkIII 22/45 for $210 at Van Wag's.
You get a serious customer-service discount when you shop there-- as in, he doesn't provide you with any service, and you don't have to pay as much.
Go to any gun board's Utah pages, and it's usually a toss-up as to whether Van Wag or Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns gets mentioned more often. Norm definitely takes the cake as far as consistent negative reviews, which can be summed up like so:
Good Prices. Customer Service Sucks.

Gibbles
07-11-2007, 20:15
Originally posted by Cokeman
I wonder if Doug's will match his price. I like the guy there a lot more.

I found Doug's will match prices, but I don't know about firearms.
I got them to take off $40 on their M3X price to match Impacts website.

GixxerSixxer
07-11-2007, 20:49
I'm pleased with my P22. The suppressor makes it extra fun. The laser sight is junk, don't waste the money.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l213/TenRing/DSC00014.jpg

My P22 prefers high velocity ammo. The CCI Green Tag and CCI Std Velocity shoot just fine but Wolf Match and SK Standard Plus have extraction/ejection problems.

The P22 is the only gun I have that my GF will make an effort to pick up and shoot targets with. She thought she'd like the Beretta Bobcat but said it was too loud in comparison to the P22.

I can get her to put one mag through my Sig, HK, Taurus, or Beretta but then she's back to the P22. I recently got a 1911 and I'm looking into a Marvel .22lr conversion unit for it. I think she'll migrate to that more when I put the suppressor on it.

The P22 is one of the few guns I've come across that entice girls to shoot it. For one they just think it's cute. My P22 had been on a number of dates before I found my GF. I've borrowed a friends MKII and girls didn't like it because of its looks. Psychologically I think they were not interested in shooting it because the gun is so ugly. That then led them to not be interested in shooting so I had to give them the boot.

Steve Koski
07-12-2007, 19:49
I remember when I was young enough to date. Those were the days...

Gibbles
07-16-2007, 17:31
I like my little P22; itís the only gun my wife will ask to shoot when she is bored of watching me shoot. :supergrin:
One day down the road I want a Ruger too.

reerc
07-16-2007, 18:10
Originally posted by Gibbles
I like my little P22; itís the only gun my wife will ask to shoot when she is board of watching me shoot. :supergrin:
One day down the road I want a Ruger too.

yeah, i'd like one of each - a P22 AND a Ruger. For now, it's just the Buckmark.

Oh, nice collection there, GixxerSixxer!

:thumbsup: