Linux [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linux

FastZ
06-13-2007, 21:57
How many of you use Linux on a daily basis? How long have you used it? What flavors have you used? What's your favorite? Why is it your favorite? Etc etc... Make up questions and answer them, just so long as they're about Linux. I'm interested to hear what other Linux users like and dislike.

Personally, I use Ubuntu and I've been using on my desktop computer since version 5.10. I built a server computer and I run Ubuntu Server on it. Lastly, I dual-boot my laptop from XP to Ubuntu from time to time when I feel like messing around with the computer and watching TV at the same time. I've used several distros to include SUSE, Fedora, Knoppix, DSL, um...Ubuntu, Mandriva, Lindows/Linspire, Xandros....I think that's it. My favorite is, yeah, you guessed it, Ubuntu.

IndyGunFreak
06-13-2007, 22:28
There's a few of us around here... I've used a ton of different distros, but I've pretty much been Ubuntu only since Dapper.

IGF

tous
06-14-2007, 06:58
:mememe: :mememe: :mememe: :mememe:

David_G17
06-14-2007, 08:24
My wife uses Ubuntu, but I use Fedora (mostly because we have a lot of servers at work running Fedora and that's what HerrGlock encouraged me to use years ago :) ).

I have an OpenBSD server at home that i'll likely move to Linux just to standardize everything.

I prefer the layout and interface of Gnome over Windows. I would use it at work, but I need Adobe (formerly Macromedia) Dreamweaver and Fireworks for compatibility with old files. Wine just won't cut it. My system is too slow to run xp as a VM. I'm stuck with Windows. :(

FastZ
06-14-2007, 09:25
I wish I could run Linux at work. Uncle Sam and Bill Gates are best friends forever though so we run nothing but Windows. I hate Windows. I've never been more frustrated with a computer than I have with a computer that's running Windows that craps out on ya while doing the simplest things, and for no reason at all.

nickg
06-14-2007, 12:52
after trying Linspire and then recently Ubuntu 7.4 i found myself quite disappointed.

until Linux can run correctly right out of the box with ALL apps, hardware, drivers, programs, etc., that i can EASILY use in Windows and NOT EVER have to go to the worthless command lines (isn't that why DOS is no longer around!!!!!?), then Linux will continue to be a "second tier" OS, mainly for the geek squad.

Linux is getting there, but it's not all the way yet.

believe me, i would love to get away from MSFT, but until the above happens, i don't see any form of Linux being my "go to" everyday OS anytime soon. too bad.

David_G17
06-14-2007, 13:42
Originally posted by nickg
[B]after trying Linspire and then recently Ubuntu 7.4 i found myself quite disappointed.

until Linux can run correctly right out of the box with ALL apps, ... programs, etc....

and that's part of the problem. as long as your programs are Microsoft programs, you'll never migrate. as far as hardware, I haven't had an incompatibility problem in years.

that i can EASILY use in Windows and NOT EVER have to go to the worthless command lines (isn't that why DOS is no longer around!!!!!?),

That's precisely the reason many prefer Linux. DOS (really virtual DOS) is still around, and quite useful. When you need more options than can be displayed on a single screen, interface design (the point & click stuff) becomes extremely cumbersome.

then Linux will continue to be a "second tier" OS, mainly for the geek squad.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/06/overallc.gif

second tier OS? most Apache installations are on BSD or Linux servers. GlockTalk is running on Linux (debian IIRC). When referring to an OS, it is important to recognize that they are much more than just workstations.

NetNinja
06-14-2007, 13:47
Company uses RedHat Enterprise 4

My Desktop developers since they are using Java to develop our aps
are using Fedora core 6

I am getting ready to install Fedora core 7 on a brand new Dell 850 server.

Our subversion is running on a crappy desktop and I need to transfer that over to a real server.

I like Red Hat

IndyGunFreak
06-14-2007, 14:13
after trying Linspire and then recently Ubuntu 7.4 i found myself quite disappointed.

until Linux can run correctly right out of the box with ALL apps, hardware, drivers, programs, etc., that i can EASILY use in Windows and NOT EVER have to go to the worthless command lines (isn't that why DOS is no longer around!!!!!?), then Linux will continue to be a "second tier" OS, mainly for the geek squad.

Linux is getting there, but it's not all the way yet.

believe me, i would love to get away from MSFT, but until the above happens, i don't see any form of Linux being my "go to" everyday OS anytime soon. too bad.

First, Linspire is an awful example of a distro. Its slower than any MS OS I ever used.

Hardware support is far better than it was even a little over a year ago when I started using Ubuntu, and way way better than when I first started trying out Linux probably 2-2.5yrs ago. The fault of hardware issues, as mentions, lies with developers, not with the OS.

Only reason its easy in Windows, is because it was beaten into your noggin how to do it. I've you'd been using Linux exclusively(as you have MS) for as long as you've used Windows, you'd probably be just as profiscient w/ Linux as you are with Windows.

Command line is rarely ever necessary in Ubuntu. Yes, usually when you read an FAQ, it gives you command instructions. Reason why, is because those instructions work no matter what desktop GUI you're using. Adept(kubuntu) and synaptic(Xubuntu/Ubuntu) have subtle differences, but they are different. Trying to put the instructions for all 3 on an FAQ, is cumbersome. Command line works no matter what GUI they use. Not to mention its much faster.

As for not being ready, second tier, etc, well, Dell disagrees with you.

Its definitely not something you can try for 1 day, and then remove windows and live in peaceful bliss. It takes work to learn it, which if you remember back to when you were clueless about Windows, it took work to learn windows..

IGF

grantglock
06-14-2007, 14:48
I use RHEL everyday.

FastZ
06-14-2007, 19:22
Originally posted by David_G17
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/06/overallc.gif

second tier OS? most Apache installations are on BSD or Linux servers. GlockTalk is running on Linux (debian IIRC). When referring to an OS, it is important to recognize that they are much more than just workstations.

You got that right! Unix/Linux rules the roost when it comes to server machines. However, I do kind of see where he was getting at when he said "second tier OS". I believe he probably meant on the desktop side of the house, where Linux has a long way yet to come. Linux has come a long way in just a few short years though, on the desktop. It's got potential, it's just about getting people involved and using it and "working right out of the box" that Linux needs to push forward a little more. With Dell pre-installing it on a line or two of their computers, I see that market share for Linux going up even more than it already has as far as desktop computing goes.

kimigirl
06-14-2007, 21:55
So far I've mainly used FC5 because thats what we use at school so thats what I have been putting my energy into learning.
Pros-easy interface, nice once installed
Cons-for someone who has used Microsoft stuff for so long, installing programs is an absolute nightmare. I've gotten a little better at it.

Wingnut357
06-14-2007, 22:39
The Fiesty 7.04 version of Ubuntu is very much better than even 6.10 was. It's recognized every bit of hardware I've thrown at it (that's more or less mainstream).

Linspire, ick.

GlockDiver
06-15-2007, 21:56
Originally posted by FastZ
How many of you use Linux on a daily basis? How long have you used it? What flavors have you used? What's your favorite? Why is it your favorite? Etc etc... Make up questions and answer them, just so long as they're about Linux. I'm interested to hear what other Linux users like and dislike.

I use Linux on a daily basis as it is the only OS on my desktop PC.

I started using Linux in 1995 at the age of 14. At the time the two major distros were Slackware and Redhat, and I was a slackware man (boy). :-)

Today I use Ubuntu as it seems to have the best interface for non-gurus (like my wife). I also use FreeBSD on some other computers, and I have a PowerMac.

FastZ
06-16-2007, 00:23
Nice! Thanks for the reply. It's cool, I never thought I'd find anyone who used Linux on a Glock forum! :thumbsup:

LittleLebowski
06-16-2007, 13:33
I've been using Linux as a desktop since 2001. Currently on Ubuntu Fiesty.

neeko
06-19-2007, 18:07
I use Slackware because it gives me control of what I have installed as well as forces me to learn. I hate automated package management tools so I steer clear of distros that use them. If I was a hardcore geek I'd have a Gentoo built machine though.

Meman5150
06-19-2007, 19:08
WHAX. I love it and I don't know why.
opps I mean knoppix 4

dab
06-20-2007, 01:39
dave@veritech:~$ uname -a
Linux veritech 2.6.8-2-686 #1 Tue Aug 16 13:22:48 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux I prefer Debian because I can build a workable system completely with free software.

Unix and GNU/Linux will always play a defining role in computing, it's design is free of corporate concerns and strives to simply work well, not to plague its users with "vendor lock-in." Unfortunately its greatest strength is also the reason why it will never dominate the consumer market place:

RANT ALERT: Please look away...

until Linux can run correctly right out of the box with ALL apps, hardware, drivers, programs, etc., that i can EASILY use in Windows and NOT EVER have to go to the worthless command lines (isn't that why DOS is no longer around!!!!!?), then Linux will continue to be a "second tier" OS, mainly for the geek squad

UNIX was written by computer scientists for computer scientists and it makes no (and rightly so) apologies to mindless users that want to be spoon fed. That is fine by me. While their windoze machine is a member of a zombie army producing spam my GNU/Linux software is everywhere from the anti-lock brakes on his/her car to the TVO under their television set! If you're stupid enough to type "sudo rm -rf /*" and then wonder why you machine crashed without giving you a "are you sure?" message then you just don't understand what a computer is for.

BTW: If by geek squad you mean a 6'1" 25 BMI GLOCK owner who swims 4-6 km a week (sometimes I skip a night during a rough week at the office) then I guess I'm your man.

I apologize for the negativity in my post, I get frustrated reading the Linux bashers. ANYTHING WORTH LEARNING TAKES EFFORT, Grrr. please forgive my rudeness; I'm currently "out of town" on a business trip to a customer's site to install telecommunications equipment and deliver a training course four time zones away from home; right now I'm sitting in a hotel room and want nothing more than to be back east with my family and friends and reading the above quote really got under my skin. I abhor ignorance. Again, you have my apologies I just needed to get that little rant off my chest.

nickg
06-20-2007, 08:40
Originally posted by dab
[

RANT ALERT: Please look away...

UNIX was written by computer scientists for computer scientists and it makes no (and rightly so) apologies to mindless users that want to be spoon fed. That is fine by me. While their windoze machine is a member of a zombie army producing spam my GNU/Linux software is everywhere from the anti-lock brakes on his/her car to the TVO under their television set! If you're stupid enough to type "sudo rm -rf /*" and then wonder why you machine crashed without giving you a "are you sure?" message then you just don't understand what a computer is for.

BTW: If by geek squad you mean a 6'1" 25 BMI GLOCK owner who swims 4-6 km a week (sometimes I skip a night during a rough week at the office) then I guess I'm your man.

I apologize for the negativity in my post, I get frustrated reading the Linux bashers. ANYTHING WORTH LEARNING TAKES EFFORT, Grrr. please forgive my rudeness; I'm currently "out of town" on a business trip to a customer's site to install telecommunications equipment and deliver a training course four time zones away from home; right now I'm sitting in a hotel room and want nothing more than to be back east with my family and friends and reading the above quote really got under my skin. I abhor ignorance. Again, you have my apologies I just needed to get that little rant off my chest.

i'm not bashing Linux or Ubuntu. i WANT it to work for me and get away for windoze/MS. that why i did try both Linspire and Ubuntu.

as i stated, i just want things to work whether it's audio, video, streaming audio/video, etc., etc. i don't want to have to search God's green earth to find more "plug ins" and things of that nature when i normally don't have to with windoze. at least when i download an app or add a program it just installs and works with a few clicks.

and by "second tier OS" and "geek squads", i am speaking of an everyday desktop OS that most anyone can use from a 10 year old all the way up to granma without having to know a command line from hell that will frustrate even those who know how to work computers, let alone the average computer owner.

THAT is what i mean by having everything work right out of the box no matter what app/program i am running nor what piece of hardware that i connect to it (and yes, i know that the hardware situation, too, is based on companies adding support and drivers for their products in Linux).

Linux is definitely a contender in the corporate world, from servers to tivo to even some mp3 players, and a lot of other things in between. but i would like to see it more easily accessible to use to everyone in the everyday world of desktop OSes. THEN it will make a difference in the world of MS and Mac.

IndyGunFreak
06-20-2007, 10:17
What exactly were you trying to do with Ubuntu that you found so difficult? Ubuntu is really the most user friendly distribution there is...

IGF

FastZ
06-20-2007, 10:41
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
What exactly were you trying to do with Ubuntu that you found so difficult? Ubuntu is really the most user friendly distribution there is...

IGF

I agree. Seldom will you have to used the command line to get things done with Ubuntu. There is a GUI for Synaptic so you dont have to use apt-get on the CLI to install programs, GUIs for adding users, modifying your configurations, etc. You practically only have to use the CLI if you really want to, but keep in mind, that most of the time, you wont 'have' to.

David_G17
06-20-2007, 12:53
Originally posted by dab
If you're stupid enough to type "sudo rm -rf /*" and then wonder why your machine crashed without giving you a "are you sure?" message then you just don't understand what a computer is for.

if you omit the "f" (force) option, it will ask you "are you sure?" ;)

Specks
06-20-2007, 13:14
Originally posted by neeko
I use Slackware because it gives me control of what I have installed as well as forces me to learn. I hate automated package management tools so I steer clear of distros that use them. If I was a hardcore geek I'd have a Gentoo built machine though.

I don't consider myself a hardcore geek, but I've been running Gentoo for at least 3 years, probably more on my machine at work. It was difficult at times, but I did have an uber geek to help me.

I've been tempted to try Ubuntu, but I haven't had the time to mess around with it much (I have it installed as a virtual machine).

I do find it interesting that you hate automated packaging management tools, but would use Gentoo if you were more of a geek. Gentoo's portage system is great, at least to me, as it allows me to type a simple command to install software that I want. I don't have to figure out on my own or try to follow some online instructions on how to compile from source.

Installing Gentoo has become much easier through their graphical installer, but I still find it lacking. It still takes me a couple of days getting a system set up to how I want it.

nickg
06-20-2007, 13:56

IGF

could NOT get Ubuntu to work with any streaming video sites like YouTube, even after the proverbial "please add xxx plug-in/codec for this program to work......" -- and if that didn't work "you must go to __________ (fill in line command here) in such and such a folder" (where ever THAT folder/file may be) type error messages

would not show any photos on a lot of news websites that i visited.

i have yet to find a program that will work with my MP3 player for adding and managing media, like Windows Media Player. if you know of a Linux program that will actually work please let me know.

an added note: i saw that an alpha of Ubuntu 7.10, nicknamed "Gutsy Gibbon Tribe 1" is already out.

Washington,D.C.
06-20-2007, 14:30
could NOT get Ubuntu to work with any streaming video sites like YouTube, even after the proverbial "please add xxx plug-in/codec for this program to work......" -- and if that didn't work "you must go to __________ (fill in line command here) in such and such a folder" (where ever THAT folder/file may be) type error messages

i have yet to find a program that will work with my MP3 player for adding and managing media, like Windows Media Player. if you know of a Linux program that will actually work please let me know.

an added note: i saw that an alpha of Ubuntu 7.10, nicknamed "Gutsy Gibbon Tribe 1" is already out.

Mint Linux is Ubuntu with all of the codecs and plug ins pre-installed. PCLinuxOS might be the easiest to use. The codecs aren't included in the install CD for legal reasoins but if has an easy download tool to add them after installing to the hard drive.

Sabayon Linux includes them but adding some software to it may be a bit more involved. If you try it get the 3.3 CD as it's the most stable version but doesn't have all of the software the DVD includes but you can add any software to it.

IndyGunFreak
06-20-2007, 17:15

What version of Ubuntu were you trying? With 7.04 now, its as easy as it is in Windows. You go to Youtube.com, click the "add Plugin" box on a video, it will then install Flash and restart your browser.

IF that doesn't work, which it should, Go here...and add the 7.04 backport per the instrctions https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Once you've added that repository, Go here and follow the instructions under Feisty..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Flash#head-b9c973b6f397de2cae9ad64ef2e8694dd10d8088

The easiest way, looks like after you add that repository, open Synaptic, and do a search for "flashplugin-nonfree", once its found, Install it.

Why Firefox, Opera, etc, wouldn't show pictures, has to be a user error of some sort, I've never had that problem. Even on a clean install.

As for MP3 players, most work pretty easily, but it depends on your player. What type of player do you have? The most popular tools are Amarok, Banshee, and Rhythmbox. If you have an Ipod, some people like Gtkpod.. I personally like Amarok or Rhythmbox.

Ubuntu has a new release every 6mo, Gutsy should be final in Oct. 07.(ie, Version 7.10)

No Offense, but none of this was found "searching all over Gods green Earth", it was found in about 5min w/ Google.

IGF

LittleLebowski
06-20-2007, 17:31
Automatix does it all for oyu painlessly on Ubuntu, you didn't Google.

IndyGunFreak
06-20-2007, 17:58
Originally posted by LittleLebowski
Automatix does it all for oyu painlessly on Ubuntu, you didn't Google.

Automatix is OK, but its borked quite a few systems. Most to the point of needing to reinstall the OS because the problems are difficult to trace. I've saw ALOT of reports on this. Most just say don't use automatix. I won't say that, but it seems most of the problems come when trying to upgrade the OS. If you uninstall automatix, remove the automatix repo from your sources list, and then update, there's about a 90% chance you'll be fine.

The only thing I can figure why people have so much trouble upgrading when they don't remove the automatix repo, is the upgrade process must try to pull in some updates from the various servers that automatix accesses. Once the update is done, its near impossible to figure out exactly which file was installed from what server, that hosed the upgrade process. I've saw guys in IRC spend days trying to track the problem, and still not figuring it out, and finally just giving in, and backing up and reinstalling.

It seems many of the same problems plagued the "easy ubuntu" project... EU Hasn't been updated for Feisty, so I don't know if they intend to end the project or what.

YMMV.

IGF

nickg
06-21-2007, 09:18
What version of Ubuntu were you trying? With 7.04 now, its as easy as it is in Windows. You go to Youtube.com, click the "add Plugin" box on a video, it will then install Flash and restart your browser.

IF that doesn't work, which it should, Go here...and add the 7.04 backport per the instrctions https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Once you've added that repository, Go here and follow the instructions under Feisty..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Flash#head-b9c973b6f397de2cae9ad64ef2e8694dd10d8088

The easiest way, looks like after you add that repository, open Synaptic, and do a search for "flashplugin-nonfree", once its found, Install it.

Why Firefox, Opera, etc, wouldn't show pictures, has to be a user error of some sort, I've never had that problem. Even on a clean install.

As for MP3 players, most work pretty easily, but it depends on your player. What type of player do you have? The most popular tools are Amarok, Banshee, and Rhythmbox. If you have an Ipod, some people like Gtkpod.. I personally like Amarok or Rhythmbox.

Ubuntu has a new release every 6mo, Gutsy should be final in Oct. 07.(ie, Version 7.10)

No Offense, but none of this was found "searching all over Gods green Earth", it was found in about 5min w/ Google.

IGF

i was using 7.04.

i did the YouTube "add plug-in" click and it still didn't work. maybe i'll try the backport method and see how that goes.

as far as my MP3 player, i tried it with my Toshiba Gigabeat with both Amarok and Rhythmbox with no success. of course with the Toshiba they have a proprietary .SAT music file extension that may have been causing a problem.

but i just got a new Creative Zen Vision M so maybe i'll have better luck trying either of those programs with the new unit. everything is now in good ol' MP3 format so that may work better.

my "searching all over Gods green Earth" was my google searches on Linux forums and different blogs looking for solutions. why they didn't work is beyond me.

thanks for the info. maybe these ideas WILL work. and if i can get away from windoze, all the better.

and maybe trying Mint Linux might be worth investigating as well if it has many of the codecs already there. thanks.

Washington,D.C.
06-21-2007, 10:11
If you download the Mint CD get 3.0 and make sure it's not "Mint Light" as Mint Light has the codecs and plug-ins removed.

http://linuxmint.com/

http://www.snoerre.eu/

IndyGunFreak
06-21-2007, 16:36
i was using 7.04.

i did the YouTube "add plug-in" click and it still didn't work. maybe i'll try the backport method and see how that goes.

as far as my MP3 player, i tried it with my Toshiba Gigabeat with both Amarok and Rhythmbox with no success. of course with the Toshiba they have a proprietary .SAT music file extension that may have been causing a problem.

but i just got a new Creative Zen Vision M so maybe i'll have better luck trying either of those programs with the new unit. everything is now in good ol' MP3 format so that may work better.

my "searching all over Gods green Earth" was my google searches on Linux forums and different blogs looking for solutions. why they didn't work is beyond me.

thanks for the info. maybe these ideas WILL work. and if i can get away from windoze, all the better.

and maybe trying Mint Linux might be worth investigating as well if it has many of the codecs already there. thanks.

Mint isn't bad, I just prefer a more traditional Gnome environment, instead of whatever it is that Mint has. It looks kind of like a tweaked Gnome. I imagine it could be "untweaked" to look more traditional, but I don't know how.

I had a Sansa E260 and it worked fine w/ Ubuntu. I ended up giving it to my younger sister as a gift when her cheapo was accidentally broken by one of my nephews, and buying me an Ipod, but the Sansa was fine. The Ipod works fine also.

Reference to the player you have now..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2875508

Seems you may need a firmware update, but it looks like Amarok will work with it.

If you have any probs, feel free to PM or IM me, I've learned the hard way how to do a lot of things in Ubuntu..lol, but believe me, I have a LONG way to go before I'm where I want to be.

IGF

Washington,D.C.
06-21-2007, 16:40
Mint isn't bad, I just prefer a more traditional Gnome environment, instead of whatever it is that Mint has. It looks kind of like a tweaked Gnome. I imagine it could be "untweaked" to look more traditional, but I don't know how.

I had a Sansa E260 and it worked fine w/ Ubuntu. I ended up giving it to my younger sister as a gift when her cheapo was accidentally broken by one of my nephews, and buying me an Ipod, but the Sansa was fine. The Ipod works fine also.

Reference to the player you have now..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2875508

Seems you may need a firmware update, but it looks like Amarok will work with it.

If you have any probs, feel free to PM or IM me, I've learned the hard way how to do a lot of things in Ubuntu..lol, but believe me, I have a LONG way to go before I'm where I want to be.

IGF

The latest version of Mint has gone to the Gnome Control Center now. So I guess you weren't the only that prefered it to mintConfig as the control center application.