MOMS: Birth Control/Gardasil For Your Daughter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MOMS: Birth Control/Gardasil For Your Daughter

Lesatvv
06-14-2007, 09:05
Hi Moms!

I have met many a mother that refused to allow their teenage/still living at home daughters to get prescription birth control or the Gardasil vaccination because "my daughter isn't having sex/that would encourage her to have sex." Sure, not all teens are having sex, but I think we need to be more realistic.
I believe that if your daughter asks to be taken to an OB/GYN to get birth control, you should respect her wishes. What do you think? I think our children deserve to have condoms and other forms of birth control available if they ask for it.

Rebecca

mitchshrader
06-14-2007, 09:28
my daughters got lectures at 13, paranoid 24/7 observation at 14, and birth control at 15.

no pregnant daughters yet.

give em birth control as soon as you can stand it, after much discussion of unwanted grandchildren, AIDs, self esteem, how much boys brag, how hard it is to live down a reputation, and the cost of milk and diapers.

at least, that's what *I* did while i was busy going grey and resisting the impulse to eat valium..

SouthernGal
06-14-2007, 09:47
Originally posted by mitchshrader
my daughters got lectures at 13, paranoid 24/7 observation at 14, and birth control at 15.

no pregnant daughters yet.

give em birth control as soon as you can stand it, after much discussion of unwanted grandchildren, AIDs, self esteem, how much boys brag, how hard it is to live down a reputation, and the cost of milk and diapers.

at least, that's what *I* did while i was busy going grey and resisting the impulse to eat valium..

Just the reverse at my parent's place...but the end result is the same.

I was 18, went on my own to the OB/GYN without my parent's knowledge and paid for everything out of pocket.

I recall when my mom finally found out and confronted me we had one of the funniest conversations I can ever remember us having. Both my parents should have trusted that I had a good brain on my shoulders and didn't need their help or assistance with these sorts of decisions or actions at that age.

And I must be doing something right...I still don't have any kids :)

Lesatvv
06-14-2007, 10:18
Mitch~ You are a good parent. You wanted to eat valium and lock your girls away, but you decided instead to be responsible at help your girls get the protection they wanted. Today, I think you NEED it. What if they got raped? I wouldn't want a rapist's baby and Gardasil could possibly help avoid cancer from the STD I could catch from that rapist. Any protection helps. Thanks for being a responsible parent!!

Rach~ GO RACH!!!! I'm surprised you waited until you were 18. :) I started taking the pill at age 12 (due to health issues). My mom figured that I might as well get on them early!

mitchshrader
06-14-2007, 10:52
liberal, (you may not use that word, you might say conservative)..

as firm policies of self determination and personal responsibility
limit one's tyranny over the progeny.. (HELP to limit. ;) )

they are going to pick who they have sex with. i'm not. behooves me to give them the best info and guidance to pick well, and the necessary tools to accomplish their happiness without causing grief to themselves and others.

any parent who claims a perfect kid has a rude shock waiting.

mine, of course, are extremely EXCEPTIONAL .. but not *quite* perfect.. ;)

if it helps any at ALL.. MEN are as often annoying and counterproductive following divorce as ONE WOMAN was, my ex.. in terms of role model, guidance, sensible advice, helping build a moral foundation..

ya'll are to be commended for your tolerance.

i know the child support song, all the verses. i'll happily compare 'ex' stories with ya, and if you delete gender references i'll match you story for story, and there's not enough difference to count.

i was the least confident single dad that existed. i guessed, in fear and trembling, over and over, cause i didnt' KNOW.

if a guy won't grow up for his kids, he's fairly worthless AT THAT TIME.. but he may well grow up some the next year.. or 5..

you understand this is hopeful and generic and may not apply to YOUR saintly/demonic ex? but it might. parenting is a learned skill.

committment to the LEARNING is moral values, not the skill itself..

so if you got one that tries but doesn't accomplish much, you're closer than you might think to useful.

and if you got one that doesn't try, try not to shoot em. in public anyway..

Patricia
06-14-2007, 10:53
My mother, although well meaning, handled this situation all wrong. When I was growing up, the subject of sex was NOT to be discussed, other than to say don't do it. When my daughter was a teen, I was determined to handle things differently. I told her she could talk to me about anything, and that although I may not approve, I would help no matter what. It has worked for us so far, and she is now 24.

SouthernGal
06-14-2007, 11:28
Originally posted by mitchshrader
after much discussion of unwanted grandchildren, AIDs, self esteem, how much boys brag, how hard it is to live down a reputation, and the cost of milk and diapers.

You know why this wasn't necessary at my parent's place? Because I saw in Junior High and High School MULTIPLE pregnant girls and I saw them dropping out like flies. Many of them never finished high school and never went to college. That was NOT the experience I wanted for myself.

Sometimes you can learn from the thoughless actions of others and save yourself some trouble. It's all about personal responsbility.