User Accounts and Guest Accounts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : User Accounts and Guest Accounts

Mr. PC
06-14-2007, 09:21
I have some relatives arriving in one day. I dont want them deleting things, adding things, downloading things, reading my email, etc. I have tried in the past to set up USER ACCOUNTS with my Windows XP Home version.

The problem, as I remember, was that guest accounts were useless because it was without an internet connection? Do I have to establish all those basics things all over again for guest accounts? Im confused.

What about the my shared type folders? Shared Documents? How does that work?

:(

FastZ
06-14-2007, 09:29
If you're running XP, creating other user accounts wont affect their ability to access the internet with whatever web browser is installed on that machine. I've actually never heard of what you are talking about. With XP Home, all you do is go to Start>Control Panel>Users & Accounts and create all the new users you want. All of those accounts are created with their own "home" directory on the hard drive with no permissions to modify other users "home" directories. They also have just as much access to the network as any other user on the computer.

EDIT:
You highlighted the "without a browser" etc, Look. When you create another account on XP home, that user has access, by default, to almost every other program on that computer that any other user has access too, UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY CHANGE THAT NEW USER WHILE CREATING IT! You either need to be more specific on your problem or take my advice, make the user and trust me that they will still be able to access the internet. Is the problem concerning no Internet Exporer icons on the desktop by default? Just because there is no icon doesnt mean that the user cant use the program. What exactly is the problem here?

Mr. PC
06-14-2007, 16:42
Originally posted by FastZ

If you're running XP, creating other user accounts wont affect their ability to access the internet with whatever web browser is installed on that machine. I've actually never heard of what you are talking about. With XP Home, all you do is go to Start>Control Panel>Users & Accounts and create all the new users you want. All of those accounts are created with their own "home" directory on the hard drive with no permissions to modify other users "home" directories. They also have just as much access to the network as any other user on the computer.

EDIT:

You highlighted the "without a browser" etc, Look. When you create another account on XP home, that user has access, by default, to almost every other program on that computer that any other user has access too, UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY CHANGE THAT NEW USER WHILE CREATING IT! You either need to be more specific on your problem or take my advice, make the user and trust me that they will still be able to access the internet. Is the problem concerning no Internet Exporer icons on the desktop by default? Just because there is no icon doesnt mean that the user cant use the program. What exactly is the problem here?

And FYI, disable the guest account. It's useless. The guest account doesnt inherit permissions to use a lot of the computers programs. If you add users like I told you, you'll be fine. Oh and dont set the new users up as "guest" accounts, that will screw them over.

Cool, thanks to FastZ and goatranch.

I was trying to use the guest account but I couldn't do a thing with it. How the hell do you connect on the net with a guest account?

I created a separate LIMITED account other than my ADMIN account and that worked much better. I was able to connect to the net with the LIMITED account.

FastZ
06-14-2007, 16:49
As far as I know, the guest account is very limited in what it can access when logged in. I have always just disabled the guest account and created those "limited users" like how you ended up doing.

Mr. PC
06-14-2007, 16:52
What about the my shared type folders? Shared Documents? How does that work? Right now, the LIMITED account cannot see my admin documents or my admin pictures. I do like this but I want to know how to control it better.

FastZ
06-14-2007, 19:17
I believe any files that are located in a user's Shared Documents can be viewed by any other user that logs on to the computer. Put files in the C:/Documents and Settings/Shared Documents folder that you want to share with other users when you are logged out and they are logged in, otherwise, any file that is located in your C:/Documents and Settings/My Documents folder is off-limits to anyone except yourself and the administrator account on the computer. Hope that helps.

Mr. PC
06-15-2007, 09:31
You have been very helpful, thanks!

While using the LIMITED account, I need to hide my e-mail access or password it?

(I use Outlook Express)

Click on Start, then programs and there it is, can I delete that? Make it invisible maybe?

There is a little envelope mail button on my IE 6 toolbar that can be removed easily but they can still click on TOOLS and then MAIL and NEWS and READ MAIL. They can also go to Start then Programs.

Any tips?

FastZ
06-15-2007, 10:37
If memory serves me right, the limited user doesnt have access to your email account that you set up with Outlook Express on YOUR account either. They have access to Outlook Express, but they'd have to set up their own email account on it for them to use it. I may be wrong. It's been a long time since I've used Windows for email, especially with Outlook Express.

Mr. PC
06-16-2007, 00:34
Good lord, you are 100% correct. You hit them all out of the park.

FastZ
06-16-2007, 09:31
Hey, Im just glad I could help.:banana: