How to set up other user accounts without starting from scratch. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to set up other user accounts without starting from scratch.

Mr. PC
06-14-2007, 11:00
I love it when Nerds can use their mod control panel.

goatranch
06-14-2007, 11:11
If they are only coming for one day, why do they need to use your PC anyway??

It is easy to click on control panel, click on user accounts and set up a guest account and it walks you through what you want to limit and what they can access. Click apply and you are done. Have you done that??

Browser and everything else should work for that account just fine.

HerrGlock
06-14-2007, 11:14
Allowing someone visiting to use your computer is akin to letting someone borrow your junk to go to an orgy.

Do you have a laptop or older desktop they can use that you can wipe clean after they've gone?

Blitzer
06-14-2007, 11:15
This belongs in Tech Talk. ;)

srhoades
06-14-2007, 11:53
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Allowing someone visiting to use your computer is akin to letting someone borrow your junk to go to an orgy.

Gives a whole new meaning in getting a computer virus.

FastZ
06-14-2007, 13:01
Check your other post in here that is IDENTICAL to this one. I answered your questions on that one.

FastZ
06-14-2007, 13:16
Actually, here, I'll just copy/paste that reply to this one.

If you're running XP, creating other user accounts wont affect their ability to access the internet with whatever web browser is installed on that machine. I've actually never heard of what you are talking about. With XP Home, all you do is go to Start>Control Panel>Users & Accounts and create all the new users you want. All of those accounts are created with their own "home" directory on the hard drive with no permissions to modify other users "home" directories. They also have just as much access to the network as any other user on the computer.

EDIT:
You highlighted the "without a browser" etc, Look. When you create another account on XP home, that user has access, by default, to almost every other program on that computer that any other user has access too, UNLESS YOU SPECIFICALLY CHANGE THAT NEW USER WHILE CREATING IT! You either need to be more specific on your problem or take my advice, make the user and trust me that they will still be able to access the internet. Is the problem concerning no Internet Exporer icons on the desktop by default? Just because there is no icon doesnt mean that the user cant use the program. What exactly is the problem here?

And FYI, disable the guest account. It's useless. The guest account doesnt inherit permissions to use a lot of the computers programs. If you add users like I told you, you'll be fine. Oh and dont set the new users up as "guest" accounts, that will screw them over.