Do you change the oil filter every 3000 miles? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you change the oil filter every 3000 miles?

cysoto
06-15-2007, 13:22
Due to the price of gas, my bike has become my main mode of transportation this season. My daily commute is 70 miles (round trip). I change the bike's oil and filter about every two months (roughly every 3000 miles). <br>Is it a must to change the oil filter with every oil change? Or can the filter be changed every second oil change.

xrmattaz
06-15-2007, 13:29
Originally posted by cysoto
Due to the price of gas, my bike has become my main mode of transportation this season. My daily commute is 70 miles (round trip). I change the bike's oil and filter about every two months (roughly every 3000 miles). <br>Is it a must to change the oil filter with every oil change? Or can the filter be changed every second oil change.

What bike?

IMO, the filter can be changed every other oil change on modern bikes, as the filter actually becomes more effective with use. That said, I just spend the extra six or eleven bucks and change out the filter as well.

Either way will serve you fine. What does your owner's manual say?

NMGlocker
06-15-2007, 14:47
I change the filter everytime. That extra $6 is worth the piece of mind I get.
There is more to a filter than just it's filtering efficiancy. You also have to factor in the flow rate and the pressure differential across the filter. While an older filter might trap more contaminant particles, it will do so at the expense of lower flow rates and higher pressure differential across the filter. This can lead to a oil starved engine and/or a overpressure situation before the filter.
Change the filter you cheapo...
:banana:

J.R. Bob Dobbs
06-15-2007, 17:12
I change the oil every 2k (synthetic) and filter every 6k. I'm lazy but still it's all within my manufacturers specs.

fnfalman
06-15-2007, 19:47
I stick with the manufacturer's recommended scheduled services. 6000-miles for the Beemer and 6200 for the Aprilia. Don't know about the KTM yet.

cysoto
06-16-2007, 08:49
The bike is a 2000 Kawasaki ZR7. I haven't check the manual (I don't remember where I put it). <p>The filter is only $7 bucks. That is not my main concern. The problem is that the filter sits right next to the center stand and it is difficult to fit the oil catching pan under it. <br>Changing the filter is somewhat messy. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Rebel_James
06-16-2007, 09:08
I read a thread on a bike forum a few years ago where a guy had access to an oil analyzing machine.

After riding 3000 miles on Dino oil he tested his oil. It had 'broken down' abut 30%.

Then he switched to Mobil-1 synthetic oil and rode 7500 miles. When the Mobil-1 was tested it had broken down 0.001%. No, that's not a typo! 0.001%

That being said, I use Amsoil and change it and the filter every 5000 miles. 5000 miles is easy to remember. Just by looking at the odometer I know when to change it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v32/Rebel_James/Harley/d17fd4cd.jpg

freakshow10mm
06-16-2007, 20:47
I don't ride as much as I'd like to so I only change my oil once a year. We have about a 5 month riding season up here.

I use mineral oil during riding season and synthetic for storage. My bike is a 1981 so I can't run synthetic.

m44u
06-16-2007, 23:13
I change the oil and filter every 2,000 to 2,500. I use 20w50 harley davidson or equivelent. I Change plugs once a year whether they need it or not. So far so good. :thumbsup:

Ralphumor
06-17-2007, 08:59
I was told by motorcycle folks that I should use "Motorcycle oil" because of the engine is different than cars. Transmission and all that stuff. I am about as mechanical as I am a speller...NOT VERY GOOD! anyway it made since to me and I dont mind spending the extra money I dont see where it could hurt. I change my oil tween 3 and 5thousand miles. I change the filter every time.

freakshow10mm
06-17-2007, 19:25
Motorcycles use the oil for engine lube as well as clutch/trans lube. Also due to the hi revs versus car engines they need special requirements. Auto oil has special detergents and anti-friction additives in it that do not work well with motorcycle transmissions and clutches. The only automotive oil I'm aware of that is ok to use in motorcycles is Mobil-1.