wth just happened ? comp turned off wouldnt come on.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : wth just happened ? comp turned off wouldnt come on..

harleyfx69
06-15-2007, 22:23
what just happen, middle of playing steam game , my laptop just shutdown..no warning or anything ..

i checked my battery was charged and connected to charger, so no interuption there,

then when i went to turn back on, i hit the button .. and the lights came on, but screen stayed dead , then it shut down again, did this 2-3 times then it finally came back on and im typing to you now ? what happen?:sad:

srhoades
06-15-2007, 23:43
Your laptop probably got too hot and shut down to prevent your processor from frying. Get one of those laptop coolers, they work pretty well.

FastZ
06-16-2007, 00:20
srhoades is right. You laptop may have shut down due to it getting to warm. It's a very useful safety feature that a lot of laptops have that can potentially save you a $1000 or so. Does everything seem to work normally now that it turned back on?

harleyfx69
06-16-2007, 10:20
it did it a couple times last night, but my laptop was not running even warm ..

its run 10x hotter at times and not done it ,

it just upped and shutdown in middle of what i was doing, then wouldnt turn back on, then when it finaly did come back on,

about 15-20 mintues later it did it again, then i just said screw it and went to bed ill deal with it in the morning

JMag
06-16-2007, 10:45
Among other more complicated potential issues there exists the possibility that your fan(s) have loaded the laptop with dust (it isn't getting airflow). You could try blasting it out with the proper compressed air canisters, etc.

Good luck; I hope it is as simple as that.

:thumbsup:

harleyfx69
06-16-2007, 12:26
ut oh .. that last sentence didnt sound good, what if its not as simple as blocked airways ?

FastZ
06-16-2007, 12:49
One thing you could try, if you have a restore disc, is to back up all your most important files and things and then boot up from the restore disc and run the Windows repair utility. It may just be that a file has gotten itself corrupted somehow and it triggers the machine to shutdown at random times for random reasons.

Have you noticed any similarities in what you were doing on the computer when it shut down?

srhoades
06-16-2007, 13:46
Originally posted by FastZ
One thing you could try, if you have a restore disc, is to back up all your most important files and things and then boot up from the restore disc and run the Windows repair utility. It may just be that a file has gotten itself corrupted somehow and it triggers the machine to shutdown at random times for random reasons.

Have you noticed any similarities in what you were doing on the computer when it shut down?

Before doing that right click on my computer, go to properties, advanced, startup and recovery and check don't automatically restart on error. This will give you a blue screen instead of restarting (if that indead is what is happening). If it keeps shutting down without a blue screen its a heat issue.

mitchshrader
06-16-2007, 15:14
power interruptions can trigger blue screens, you might check your battery connections and see if there's any visible corrosion, blow out the plug side to ensure no dust bits, check all connectors are *absolutely* square, a tiny bend may cause a stutter once heated up..

if there's a short to the screen, as well, that can cause it, millisecond intermittant shorts suck, are hideously hard to diagnose.

dirt is the first guess, corrosion or bent terminals the second, a short to the screen another place to look.

running it on grid power checks that it's not a battery issue, running it on an external monitor checks the screen connection, blowing out fans is purely automatic, do it, and of course check that the fan input/outflo isn't blocked with dust.

other programs with automatic high priority can cause blue screens when gaming, they fight over who goes first. such programs can be messenger programs that are checking updates, cd or dvd config (auto check every 10 minutes) .. printer update auto-checks, ..

you check THAT stuff generally by using a logging firewall and observing a time pattern. if it happens hourly, and it happens at that time, it's that thing..

you can have issues with USB mice. try a different one. you can have issues with printers installed, try without one. video cams suck for stable, if you're running cam software you may expect issues.

any recent hardware change, or additional software installation, is a prime suspect for conflicts, roll it back and try again.

do some system resource checks, heat checks, try to eliminate possible causes. don't pay somebody to do the troubleshooting. they'll know and you won't.

edit: check power saving configuration as well. might possibly be that.

harleyfx69
06-16-2007, 21:40
Thanks guys !

harleyfx69
06-18-2007, 21:29
hard drive is compromised .. getting new one from newegg .. should be in in afew days

FastZ
06-18-2007, 22:12
Oh wow, that sucks! How did you find that out?

harleyfx69
06-19-2007, 10:26
computer crashed a night ago, so i left it till the next morning

next morning i checked glock talk and ebay,

that night it crashed again so i left till next morning ..

next morning , i started in a game, it crashed and wouldnt come on ..

so i started by blowing out the dust in it ..

didnt help ..

tried reinstalling windows,

no go, said problem with doing something with load, tried to rearrange my ram to seeif ram was faulty,

no go,

but i got to a further screen in the reinstall, gave me something that clued to harddrive is compromised