Hand strength [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hand strength

Xenia
06-17-2007, 01:02
Ladies, do any of you work at hand or upper body strength to shoot bettter? If so, what do you do?

I shot 60 rounds the other day at the range and my hand hurt!!! my arms were not sore, but they were tired.

I have signed up for a class coming up in a couple weeks and they say to bring 400 rounds of ammo to it. I am wondering if I am strong enough.

I need to get to the gym! (for many reasons, but this is one)

Any grip strengthening things I could do at home?

Mrs. VR
06-17-2007, 10:37
I've never had this issue before, but, I have teeny little midget hands, so I could see where it could easily BECOME an issue for me. Im interested to hear what experience others have.

Mrs. VR
06-17-2007, 10:37
I've never had this issue before, but, I have teeny little midget hands, so I could see where it could easily BECOME an issue for me. Im interested to hear what experience others have.

PS- they have those grip strengthening thingies at the sports store, you know what I mean? The things you squeeze, but I bet you could do same thing with a squeezie type little ball, or something else that has give to it.

Blitzer
06-17-2007, 15:47
What I have started to do again -

Take a 5 pound dumb bell.

Do 10 forward and reverse wrist curls for three reps every other day. Slowly uncurl your fingers allowing the dumb bell roll to the finger tips when doing the reverse wrist curls. Then close your fingers around the dumb bell in the reverse direction, which will strengthen your fingers.

On the other days do forward, reverse, and candle (with your thumbs pointed up) forearm curls with the same weight and reps.

Work slowly for maximum benefit. :supergrin: :thumbsup: ;)

Mrs.Cicero
06-18-2007, 13:03
don't squeeze the grip. hold it gently. Death grips tire out your hands.

there are those squeeze grips you can get at Wally World, or the stress-relief balls you can sqeeze and squish while doing any number of other more interesting things.

I find that my shoulders get tired if i am in firing position with my arms extended for an extended period of time...partly because i get tense waiting. Grab a soup can in each hand and lift it into firing position and hold it there. Or find something heavier than your loaded pistol and do the same exercise. I haven't come up with a good exercise for increasing endurance at off hand rifle, other than just doing it a lot (hey any excuse to go to the range...) ANyone have any ideas?

Mrs.C

Mr V
06-18-2007, 21:51
Arms or hands? If arms then weight training. If hands you might get checked out for carpel tunnel. My wifes hand would be sore/hurting after only a short range session, she also had the typical problems associated with ct. Any way after the surgery no shooting problems....

Lynn D
06-19-2007, 16:57
While I've not done anything specific to strengthen my hands, I have noted increased strength of my hands/arms over the time I've been shooting.

Just the act of shooting over time is going to improve this. This was noticed by me as in increase in accuracy and a sensation that "recoil is not an issue anymore".

Blinky's recommendation are good. You could also use a tennis ball or commercial grip strength thing-y....I've seen them in sports goods stores.

Mrs. Tink
06-19-2007, 18:47
Shoulder exercises are WHERE IT'S AT! Bent-arm side raises, straight-arm side raises, upright rows and the military press (both barbell and dumbbell) work great. It also works well to absorb the recoil shock.

For grip strength, Blitzer's got it. Also if you are regularly doing dumbbell upper body exercises, your grip strength will automatically improve as you progress into higher dumbbell weights.

Kilroy
06-23-2007, 20:53
Essential for any firearms training and improved use of guns, strength and endurance for the hands, and the arms, are essential for having successful training and preventing training scars.

Shoulders on down to fingers all need work to improve strength (which contributes to stability) and endurance (which is essential during training when you are expected to dry fire as much as you live fire).

This is properly done at least ten weeks prior to need, as your muscles need to "learn" the exercise and then undergo the break down and repair that creates strength and endurance.

I am working with a Physical Trainer who has developed an exercise battery specifically for handgun shooting. We've been working on this for some time now.

If anyone would like a copy (pdf file) of the exercises, PM me an email address.

Jane
06-26-2007, 12:22
Xenia,
A hint for your class...

Several years ago, I took a number of classes at Front Sight in Nevada. They'd have all the students stand at the firing line. The range master would yell "point in", and we'd assume a firing position (they teach Weaver to beginners) and wait for an instructor to get to us to critique our form.

I found that tired my arms quite a bit (and I have above-average upper body strength for a woman... but I was 55 when I was taking those classes.)

So I wouldn't "point in" when they yelled to do so. Rather, I'd just stand relaxed until the instructor got to me.

With some of the other drills (kneeling, for example), I'd just tell the instructors I was just going to do them half as many times as the athletic younger guys did.

You don't want to get yourself so tired that it's hard to learn... or worse, so tired that you find yourself falling into unsafe gun handling.

Xenia
06-29-2007, 01:50
I appreciate all the the replies. I started going to a gym today and plan to firm up everything which will help I know.

Last weekend I asked this question at an IDPA meet and one of the guys there gave me this advice:

Get a wooden dowel or similar piece of wood and tie a rope in the middle of it and at the other end of the rope tie a water bottle with some water in it (can vary this as needed). Put your arms up to shooting position and roll the dowel until the water bottle reaches the top then unroll it back and forth until your arms are tired. The next day or so do the same thing.

I found a wooden handle to an old plunger I meant to throw away. A family member cut it down (the part that would have been in the toilet is now off) and drilled a hole in the middle. I bought some light rope and that was my total expense. This exercise feels different then the ones in the gym. I can feel it working my hands and writs as well as my arms and shoulders.

WIG19
07-02-2007, 11:45
Make sure when not shooting that you have a comfortable ready position to go to. Also make sure your non-shooting hand is aiding in the work by handling about 70% of the pressure involved in keeping a good two-handed grip, 30% pressure by the shooting hand. (Less grip force by your shooting hand also helps isolate your trigger finger so it can do its own thing as it should, which helps you focus on proper sight alignment during the trigger press, as you should.)

And good shooting posture, weight forward, takes an edge of the apparent arm strength needed as well. ;)

Can't fault Blitzer's dumbbell regimen at all. Anything that helps keep you fit will greatly aid your stamina during a match or range session, not to mention quality of life. Focusing on hydrating this summer? Don't forget to also throw in some carbs so there's wood on the fire. :supergrin:

:patriot: