Vienna (NoVA) Glockers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vienna (NoVA) Glockers?

xxiv
06-17-2007, 11:10
I'll be moving back up north from NC in a week or two, to my hometown of Vienna VA. Tagging along will be my G19!

So, I'm curious as to if anybody else lives in or immediately around Vienna and which range they use as the closest/trustworthy smithing.

I looked around but most Nova glock members seem to be in Manasssas, etc.

mouser
06-17-2007, 11:35
The nearest range to Vienna would be the NRA range (I think). Get onto 66 going west, and I would guess that it's only about 10 miles. You might want to PM vafish, he's in that general direction, and I think I remember that he's had some smithing done.
I'm live in Alexandria (just south of Old Town), and currently shoot at Gilbert's (had been shooting at Shooter's Paradise until the fire). If you need some range time before you figure out where you want a membership, let me know and I'll introduce you to the Gilbert's range. They have a gunsmith, but I've never used their service, so no thumbs up/thumbs down from me on this point.

xxiv
06-17-2007, 12:19
Ah, I remember seeing the NRA building quite often on 66W, I just figured it was a corporate office without a range for some reason and never gave it a second thought. I will check that out aswell as a few others like Gilbert's.

Thanks.

vafish
06-17-2007, 13:27
Originally posted by xxiv
Ah, I remember seeing the NRA building quite often on 66W, I just figured it was a corporate office without a range for some reason and never gave it a second thought. I will check that out aswell as a few others like Gilbert's.

Thanks.

The range at the NRA is around back it the underground parking garage.

I'm a little further west of you in Centreville.

Besides the NRA range Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly and the IWLA range in Centreville probably the closest.

IWLA does not allow drawing from the holster or rapid fire, it's a 100 yard outdoor range.

KONY
06-17-2007, 20:05
I'm in Fairfax, just south of you. I shoot at the NRA. Nice indoor range. Also have a G19. Welcome back! :wavey:

Navy87Guy
06-18-2007, 05:08
I'm getting to the point where I'm considering joining the NRA range just because it's the only place around (since Shooter's burned down)that allows rifle calibers. Can any of you who use it regularly tell me what the waits are like? I live in Stafford but I work in Arlington, so I'd probably use it most on weeknights after work (I know that it's crazy busy on weekends). Anyone have any experience with lane loading on a typical weeknight?

Thanks.

Jim

bruce282
06-18-2007, 05:17
Hey Jim,

The range is closed Monday for league shooting, and Tuesday for IDPA, USPSA, Cowboy, whatever the match of the week is. The range opens at 1700, but I've never shot there during the week, so I really don't know how busy it gets. I normally shoot on the weekends, get there around 9 (they open at 0830) and the most you have to wait is 30 minutes unless they are 15 folks in front of you which has never happened to me.

During the summer it's not too bad on weekends, folks are on vacation or playing golf or sleeping in, now the winter months is a different story.

Have you been by Shooter's lately? Just wondering what the situation is.

Bruce

alien-Glocker
06-18-2007, 13:10
I'm getting to the point where I'm considering joining the NRA range just because it's the only place around (since Shooter's burned down)that allows rifle calibers.

Blue Ridge Arsenal has a rifle side (25 meters), sorry I do not recall all that they allow, I've shot Bushmaster and they rent Ak47's.

Its been moderately busy recently. But with a membership you get priority on next available lane if its full.

vafish
06-18-2007, 15:15
Sounds like we should have a NoVa GT shoot at either the NRA range or this Saturday at the GSSF match at Blue Ridge.

Navy87Guy
06-18-2007, 18:56
Originally posted by alien-Glocker
Blue Ridge Arsenal has a rifle side (25 meters), sorry I do not recall all that they allow, I've shot Bushmaster and they rent Ak47's.

Its been moderately busy recently. But with a membership you get priority on next available lane if its full.

Thanks for the info (everyone!). I checked the Blue Ridge web site and they didn't say anything about rifle calibers (it specifically said handgun). I'll give them a call - although they're not any closer for me than the NRA range!

Bruce, I haven't been by Shooters' - just read the last update on the forum. Looks like late summer at the earliest -- maybe longer.

Jim

stooxie
06-18-2007, 19:56
The NRA range is great because you can fire pretty much anything you want: any kind of bullet, just about any caliber. There are limits but if you can't find enough gun in .460 Weatherby Magnum than you need to be shooting at Quantico!

As for crowds, yeah, the range can get busy at night and on the weekends. When I go there I go during the day on Monday or Friday. It's rare to not get a spot then. I do wish the range we open during the day Tues-Thurs but I guess they have other classes and events going on at those times.

-Stooxie

alien-Glocker
06-19-2007, 04:20
I checked the Blue Ridge web site and they didn't say anything about rifle calibers

I just poked around their web site. At the bottom of the "Range Rules" page they have a downloadable document that describes rifle calibers.

Navy87Guy
06-19-2007, 13:43
Originally posted by alien-Glocker
I just poked around their web site. At the bottom of the "Range Rules" page they have a downloadable document that describes rifle calibers.

I see it now...they don't make it very easy to find. In the Range Info, it says
Blue Ridge Arsenal
With twenty, 25 yard shooting positions, accommodating up to .50AE handgun caliber firearms and 12 Gauge shotguns (Ammunition Restrictions), we have long been acknowledged as a safe, knowledgeable and friendly environment for both the experienced and novice shooter.

They need to be a bit more explicit!

Jim