Security question: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Security question:

Skyhook
06-17-2007, 18:02
Imagine that a well-meaning friend, in an effort of support, sent numerous emails to folks all over the country detailing a recent tragedy your family suffered- what are the chances that info could be used by the trolls and gremlins of cyberspace to do you harm?

For instance, my son hovered near death for a few days, underwent brain surgery and - well, you know- IF that friend, in notifying lots of family, associates, etc., placed within the body of the email your home address, email address, your phone number and details of your leaving the country to be with your son- how (in)secure is that info? Do I need to be on alert for future ripples or ramifications??

Just wondering. :dunno:

Notrega
06-17-2007, 18:26
Can't say to your security question - but thoughts and prayers for the other problem... :hugs:

Skyhook
06-17-2007, 18:34
Originally posted by Notrega
Can't say to your security question - but thoughts and prayers for the other problem... :hugs:

Thank you. Having military personnel in the family has its "difficulties".

Furant
06-18-2007, 08:59
Could it be used against you? Yep. But realize that there is such a flood of information, that someone would have to be really looking for it. Additionally, addresses and phone numbers are already readily accessible.

I'd be most concerned with travel plans that might inform an intruder of when you weren't going to be home. If you have a security system on your home, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the e-mail. Perhaps a follow up e-mail to whomever received that initial e-mail asking them not to further distribute it would be in order.

Just focus your thoughts on your son. Godspeed! And thank him for protecting me and my family.

Joey

Skyhook
06-18-2007, 13:13
Originally posted by jferrante
Could it be used against you? Yep. But realize that there is such a flood of information, that someone would have to be really looking for it. Additionally, addresses and phone numbers are already readily accessible.

I'd be most concerned with travel plans that might inform an intruder of when you weren't going to be home. If you have a security system on your home, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the e-mail. Perhaps a follow up e-mail to whomever received that initial e-mail asking them not to further distribute it would be in order.

Just focus your thoughts on your son. Godspeed! And thank him for protecting me and my family.

Joey

Thank you for the info and the kind thoughts.

I have spoken to the originator of the email and she is contrite and will probably not do something like that for another.
I do have an excellent security system and have arranged -since the OP- to have a couple of friends move in while we're away.

Goes to show ya, you just never know.:upeyes: