Need (another) good web browser [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need (another) good web browser

Suburban
06-18-2007, 10:56
Internet Explorer has some kind of infection. Searches usually take me to some web site.

Netscape Navigator crashes on me all the time lately, and java stuff gets screwy.

Is there another good browser that won't take me a month to download on dial-up and will work with Flash and the overly fancy web sites that TV networks and corporations build?

IndyGunFreak
06-18-2007, 11:13
Originally posted by Suburban
Internet Explorer has some kind of infection. Searches usually take me to some web site.

Netscape Navigator crashes on me all the time lately, and java stuff gets screwy.

Is there another good browser that won't take me a month to download on dial-up and will work with Flash and the overly fancy web sites that TV networks and corporations build?

http://www.mozilla.com

Download Firefox, and see what everyone is raving about! Its about 9mb, so it may take you an hour or so on a good dial up connection.

:)

IGF

westwindmike
06-18-2007, 12:06
Firefox is the only way to go!!!!:thumbsup:

FastZ
06-18-2007, 12:18
As I am a die-hard fan of Firefox and basically anything from Mozilla, just to be different, I'm going to suggest you look at the Opera web browser. It's pretty nice as well.

here are the browsers I know of:

IE
Netscape
Firefox
Opera
Seamonkey

those are the only ones that I know run on Windows.

IndyGunFreak
06-18-2007, 16:50
Opera is a great browser. I like Firefox better, simply because it has a gazillion helpful extensions that can be quickly installed(even via dial up)...

Both are great browsers though, you won't go wrong with either.

Edit: I actually didn't know Netscape was still making a browser. I used to really like that browser, I'll go download it now and see what I think. I see its at 9.0 now, I think the last time I used it, was around 5.0

IGF

Wingnut357
06-18-2007, 17:30
Safari 3 has been released for windows. The Mac version is very fast.

Deanster
06-18-2007, 17:31
You might try Safari for Windows - it's got a very nice interface, and some excellent features (I like the draggable tabs!). OTOH, some users have been reporting some issues with the beta version that was just released last week, so YMMV.

I've been using it in Windows and in my Windows via parallels on Mac, and it's fast fast fast.

http://www.apple.com/safari

jeanjvr
06-22-2007, 09:15
Sounds like you've got some other computer problems\infections that may need to be cleaned up before trying any other browsers.

IE 7\opera 9 works fine for me.

Scan your PC with a good antivirus application before installing another browser.

If you'd like to try something else, I'd suggest Opera 9.

I use opera on my pc and cellphone (opera mini)

Unfortunately the opera mini browser on my phone just adds to my daily dose of GT :P

IndyGunFreak
06-22-2007, 15:14
Originally posted by Deanster
You might try Safari for Windows - it's got a very nice interface, and some excellent features (I like the draggable tabs!). OTOH, some users have been reporting some issues with the beta version that was just released last week, so YMMV.

I've been using it in Windows and in my Windows via parallels on Mac, and it's fast fast fast.

http://www.apple.com/safari

Firefox has draggable tabs.. ;)

IGF

Deanster
06-22-2007, 20:16
Excellent! I had a less-than-impressive experience with the first release of Firefox, and I've somehow never made it back, although many many people whose opinion I trust recommend it.

Also, I'd suggest holding off a bit on Safari for Windows - apparently Apple has some security bugs to work out - they released a security fix today, and it's uncharted territory for them - maybe wait a month or so, or at least until later in the beta stage.

Suburban
06-25-2007, 00:16
Firefox has worked well for me for the last few days, but they always work for a few weeks or so before starting to mess up. I probably would have been fine reinstalling IE or Netscape.

I've run several of those virus/infection programs, but it's not always obvious which ones are spyware or infectious and what's supposed to be there but looks fishy to the program.

Thirties
06-25-2007, 08:08
Originally posted by Suburban
Firefox has worked well for me for the last few days, but they always work for a few weeks or so before starting to mess up. I probably would have been fine reinstalling IE or Netscape.

I've run several of those virus/infection programs, but it's not always obvious which ones are spyware or infectious and what's supposed to be there but looks fishy to the program.

How does it mess up on you . . . I'm trying to anticipate a future problem with my FireFox, and knowing what your troubles are would give me a heads-up.

denfoote
06-27-2007, 01:44
+1 on the virus scan.

+1 on the Opera.
I use Opera and like it a lot better than Firefox!!

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/