Firefox issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Firefox issue

painkiller
06-19-2007, 00:08
i have been using firefox for maybe a year now,and love it!no more internet explorer for me i thought,well until last week!i dont know what happenend but now firefox will not load up anypages.it will load up a page,but i will get a blank white screen,that says done on the bottom,and i cant do anything.refresh,back,forward,stop buttons arent usable.nothing comes up.i have deleted the program,downloaded it again,with the same issues.there help links are of no use and i 'm going bat nuts!the version is the latest one on their website,cant recall which one.anybody have any clues?

Washington,D.C.
06-19-2007, 03:13
Firefox uses a bit more memory than Internet Explorer. Your temp files may be filling up. Download and install Ccleaner and Advanced Windows Care.

Ccleaner

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

Advanced Windows Care

http://majorgeeks.com/Advanced_WindowsCare_v2_Personal_d4991.html

Run the programs using their default settngs. They may help sort out some registry problems too.

FastZ
06-19-2007, 05:32
Good suggestion DC. And I believe the newest version of FF out at the moment is 2.0.0.4.

Blitzer
06-19-2007, 06:51
Ditto++

And check your hard drive's cache size and set it for fixed and at least twice the computer's system RAM after you clean the drive(s).

painkiller
06-19-2007, 23:59
how do i check my hard drive's cache size?i am running xp home,and am not sure.is it through the internet options?how do i clear the cache?is it the same as cookies and temp internet files?

jkp1187
06-20-2007, 05:37
Also, you need to think in Russian (http://www.thinkinrussian.org/). You cannot think in English and expect it to translate. You must think in Russian.

:animlol:

Sorry, I've been waiting to use that joke for a while. This ends our brief thread hijack -- we return you to your regularly scheduled troubleshooting session.

nickg
06-20-2007, 08:23
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Download....Advanced Windows Care.

Advanced Windows Care

http://majorgeeks.com/Advanced_WindowsCare_v2_Personal_d4991.html

Run the programs using their default settngs. They may help sort out some registry problems too.

DC - thanks for bringing this program to my attention. i downloaded it last night and ran it. WOW!!...if found stuff on there that i had NO idea was there, and things that other programs never found. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

painkiller
06-20-2007, 23:20
DC--the programs were awesome!but am still unsure how to clear the cache on my harddrive and set it for twice the size and stuff.ran both programs and cleared temp internet folders and firefox still not loading.what can i do?

Blitzer
06-21-2007, 00:34
Originally posted by painkiller
DC--the programs were awesome!but am still unsure how to clear the cache on my harddrive and set it for twice the size and stuff.ran both programs and cleared temp internet folders and firefox still not loading.what can i do?

http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_assembly_needs.shtml

There's a few more things you need and should do to complete the assembly process.
Swap File Size (Virtual Memory)
The swap file (virtual memory) is disk memory that Windows XP (or any other operating system) uses to help manage applications when they exceed the amount of RAM configured in the computer. It's important that the swap file be allocated an amount of disk space appropriate for the amount of RAM in the computer. Opinions vary on how big the swap file should be, but most state it should be at least two or three times the size of the amount of RAM. This means if you have 512MB of RAM in the computer, the swap file should be configured to something like 1536MB of RAM. It doesn't need to be exact. As you can see, I've allocated about 3 times the 1024MB of RAM I have in My Super PC. If you have ample hard drive space then it's a good idea to go ahead and allocate this much space even if you have 512MB of RAM or less. That way it won't be necessary to remember to increase it should more RAM be added to the computer later. To get to the Virtual Memory window, click on Start, right-click on My Computer, click on Properties in the small pop-up window, which brings up the System Properties window. On this window, click on the Advanced tab and then click on Settings in the Performance sub-window to bring up the Performance Options window. On this window, click on the Advanced tab and then click on Change in the Virtual Memory sub-window. Quite a little journey, but this finally brings up the Virtual Memory window. Setting the "Initial size" and "Maximum size" to the same values increases efficiency and performance. The changes go into effect when the computer is re-booted.

http://www.tech-faq.com/swap-file-settings.shtml

How do I change the Swap File Settings?

Prior to revising your Virtual Memory settings, you should check on how much Virtual Memory you would need, based on how much RAM you do have and how memory-intensive your normal applications are.
Specifying Virtual Memory Settings

The best way to do this is by installing the built-in System Monitor applet from the Add/Remove Program component in the Control Panel. Go to Windows Setup, highlight System Tools and click Details. Put a check on System Monitor and then hit the OK button, and exit the program. A prompt will appear to insert the Windows CD. Do so and follow the instructions to set up System Monitor.

Use this for a few days to monitor the size of the swap file, available (or free) physical memory and the swap file in use as you work. This will give you a better idea of the adjustments you need to make.
Adjusting Virtual Memory Settings

The required settings can be accessed from within the System Control Panel applet which is accessible by right-clicking on the My Computer symbol and then clicking on Properties from the drop-down menu. The other approach is to click on the Start button, go to Settings/Control Panel/System. When the applet opens, choose the Properties button and click on Virtual Memory.

For Windows XP, the sequence is to right-click on My Computer, choose Properties, go to the Advanced tab button, click Performance Settings, click on Settings, click on the Advanced tab once again and in the Virtual Memory section, click Change.

The default setting for this is set on the "Let Windows Manage my virtual memory" option. Click the "Let me specify my own�" and select the drive where you will put the swap file on by clicking the drop-down list in the Hard Disk field and specify the maximum and minimum swap file size in the proper fields. Once the parameters are set, exit the system and reboot the computer.
Dual Hard Disk Drives

If you have two hard disks in your computer, choose the second hard drive for the swap file to reside on. Windows will be working from the C: drive (your primary hard drive) AND simultaneously swap program codes and data to and from the swap file on the other drive.
What Size Swap File?

Using a fixed swap file size means that the swap or page file will be static so that it will occupy side-by-side cluster chains and will run little risk of fragmentation. At the same time, Windows will not need to waste time or resources in sizing or resizing the swap file. The downside to this is that the swap file cannot go beyond the maximum size when needed - which can lead to a system crash.

The best approach is to set up a minimum swap file size that is larger that would ever be needed. Find out how much actual memory is used by the Swap File when you're using memory-intensive programs and set the minimum Swap File size to a higher level.

Washington,D.C.
06-21-2007, 10:01
You may want to completely uninstall Firefox, then REBOOT the PC. Run Ccleaner click "Issues" icon this will sort some registry things then scan with AWC , then install Firefox and see how it works. You may want to reboot right after installing fitrefox before trying it.