Problems Installing Ubuntu 6.06 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Problems Installing Ubuntu 6.06

Laramie In MT
06-19-2007, 10:21
Booted off the CD, it started doing its thing and looked ok, but now I just get a bunch of:

"Buffer I/0 error on device dm-2, logical block" with lots of numbers. Any ideas?

Washington,D.C.
06-19-2007, 10:24
Is it the live CD? The alternate CD has a better installer and doesn't take as much memory to install. Did you get the hard partitioned okay? After you partition the hard drive you should reboot the PC to the CD again before trying to install it.

Washington,D.C.
06-19-2007, 10:26
If it's the live CD does it run okay or is that what is not working?

Laramie In MT
06-19-2007, 11:21
The Live CD ran ok.

It kept giving me those errors but finally stopped. But during the install process while trying to partition a HD, it just got stuck there and wouldn't do anything.

Do I have to partition before install? I thought that was part of the ubuntu install?

Washington,D.C.
06-19-2007, 11:32
You should partition the hard drive and then reboot the PC. That lets the install CD "find" the partitions. You need at least a root partition marked "/", and a Linux swap partition or around 1 GB, or at least 512 MB. If you make a separate home partition make the root partition about 6 GB with a 1GB swap and the rest as home.

Laramie In MT
06-19-2007, 11:39
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
You should partition the hard drive and then reboot the PC. That lets the install CD "find" the partitions. You need at least a root partition marked "/", and a Linux swap partition or around 1 GB, or at least 512 MB. If you make a separate home partition make the root partition about 6 GB with a 1GB swap and the rest as home.

What program should I use to partition? I'm not sure how to mark it "/" and do the swap partition. Any place to get a how to on that?

BTW...I had 2 HDs. One is running XP and I have the 2nd all clear so I want to run that strickly for linux.

Washington,D.C.
06-19-2007, 11:56
Open a terminal, sudo cfdisk , Not sure I remember Ubuntu but that one should be there. It's the easiest. Does the installer have automatic partitioning?

David_G17
06-19-2007, 13:31
edit n/m.

IndyGunFreak
06-19-2007, 13:56
Originally posted by bigblueyeddevil
What program should I use to partition? I'm not sure how to mark it "/" and do the swap partition. Any place to get a how to on that?

BTW...I had 2 HDs. One is running XP and I have the 2nd all clear so I want to run that strickly for linux.

If thats the case, don't even worry about partitioning. Download the Alternate Install CD, and set it to install to the preferred drive. There's an option, I believe its "erase entire disk and install", or something to that effect(you'll know when you see it). Once you choose that, it will assign a swap partition and an "/" partition formatted as ext3.

Now if you have data on that drive you need to keep(it doesn't sound like you do). then you'll need to move that data elsewhere to do this.

You also may want to consider downloading Ubuntu 7.04.. its the current version(the LTS versions, are really only useful to those paying for support)

IGF

Washington,D.C.
06-19-2007, 13:59
Before you install Linux, Make the hard drive you want for Linux the primary or master hard drive. Your Linux bootloader will go there and with the Windows drive installed at the time of insstall the Linux boot loader will allow booting either Windows or Linux. The safest thing to practice installing is remove/unplug the Windows drive before installing Linux. The live Ubuntu CD only installs the boot loader on the master boot record of the primary drive. The way I described will retain your original Windows boot loader without overwriting it. The non-live Ubuntu CD has other options such booting Linux from a floppy without overwriting the master boot record of the hard drive.

Washington,D.C.
06-19-2007, 14:02
Plug the Linux hard drive as master or primary. With the Windows hard drive as slave or secondary the Linux hard drive will be hda1 and the Windows hard drive be hda2, if your drives IDE.

FastZ
06-19-2007, 14:51
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Open a terminal, sudo cfdisk , Not sure I remember Ubuntu but that one should be there. It's the easiest. Does the installer have automatic partitioning?

I believe you can set up partitioning during the install but you need to make sure there's spare room on the hard drive to create the partition in the first place. Ubuntu comes with Gparted (Gnome PARTition EDitor), it's in Systems>Admin I think, if not, it's in System>Prefs. Look for that while you are on the live CD and partition your HD with it. Or you could google Gparted and then download the bootable version of it and use that to partition your hard drive before booting up into the live CD.

IndyGunFreak
06-19-2007, 17:28
Originally posted by FastZ
I believe you can set up partitioning during the install but you need to make sure there's spare room on the hard drive to create the partition in the first place.

You Can..

If I understand him correctly, he's cleared a disk specifically for Ubuntu, so partitioning is not an issue. All he has to do is select the drive, choose to let the Installer "take over" that drive, and wait for it to finish..

The installer will then do everything... Set the swap/file partitions, install grub, etc.

IGF

Glock Bob
06-22-2007, 20:22
Since you have XP just boot it as master and use it to partition/format the other drive...

1. Right-click My Computer and choose Manage
2. Click Disk Management on the left under Storage
3. Right-click on the desired Linux disk (most likely Disk 1 as the XP disk will be Disk 0) and choose something like "Create Partition" (I don't have an extra drive so it doesn't show up for me)
4. It should be fairly straight-forward to setup a boot partition as well as a swap

When creating the partitions be sure to choose FAT32 (NOT NTFS!). The partitioning process will take care of formatting that partition. If you have already setup partitions with the live CD it's probably best to delete all of them and start over (just right-click on them and choose Delete Partition...). After it's all partitioned just switch the drive with the XP drive to make it master. Voila! You have a drive ready to go and all you have to do is tell Ubuntu where to install boot and swap and what file system to use.