Audio Recording Equipment Advice Needed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Recording Equipment Advice Needed

Nolyn
06-19-2007, 14:08
I would like to be able to record conversations and download them to my computer, then burn copies to CDs.

I'd also like to be able to record telephone conversations and do the same thing.

Anyone know what equipment I need, what the best brands are, and where are the best places to order them ?

Thanks in advance

David_G17
06-19-2007, 15:03
Originally posted by Nolyn
I would like to be able to record conversations and download them to my computer, then burn copies to CDs.

I'd also like to be able to record telephone conversations and do the same thing.

Anyone know what equipment I need, what the best brands are, and where are the best places to order them ?

Thanks in advance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16873100515

^ I bought one of these for school. It records in WMA, and I copied the files to my computer over USB (just like a flash drive).

The most I could get out of it was about an hour's worth of lecture.

eta: check your state laws before doing anything like that.

Nolyn
06-19-2007, 18:05
thanks - things have moved on some since my cassette tape recorder days

Minuteman
06-19-2007, 18:36
Much longer recording time and higher quality.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicroTrack/

For more money you can buy a portable CD recorder that burns straight to CD, from Tascam and Sony.

:patriot:

Nolyn
06-19-2007, 19:25
starting to get a little expensive

I note that you can get recording devices that attach to an ipod -I don't have an ipod, but this could be one more reason to get one :supergrin:

Nolyn
06-20-2007, 00:45
Thanks for the input fellas. After a little research I went for the Olympus VN4100PC, and additional mic, and a telephone adaptor. Total cost about $86 inc S&H. Seemed like a reasonable deal.

Thirties
06-20-2007, 06:21
In case you do't know it, Radio Shack sells a few models of these in their stores (money back guarantee if you don't like it).

Nolyn
06-20-2007, 11:02
oops, didn't realize that I could have purchased locally. I ordered from Amazon - still a money back guarantee, but a little more trouble

Nolyn
06-23-2007, 14:55
just as a little feedback. I got this Olympus device much cheaper from Amazon (about 2/3 the Radioshack price). It is well mad eand works very well. Undoubtedly the way to go.

Thirties
06-24-2007, 05:24
If you are going to be doing much transcription of your recorded conversations, you will definitely want a foot pedal kit. The kit includes a usb connection, foot pedal and software. This setup will allow you to playback, stop, rewind, fast forward, etc. using your foot on the floor, leaving both hands free to type/transcribe the material in a word processor on your computer.

These kits typically cost more than the original recorder -- but they are really quite necessary if you do a lot of this type of work.

I have a Sony recorder and pedal kit, but I like the Olympus recorder better. I had bought it originally, but had to return it because it didn't work with my Win98 computer. Now, I have a WinXP machine, but still use the Sony recorder and pedal, since they work for me, and I already paid for them. The Olympus will record in the very high fidelity .wav format and the Sony will not.

Nolyn
06-24-2007, 11:17
Another alternative for converting spoken words to written text is the speech recognition software that is out there now. Not had any feedback on that.

For now I'm happy just to have a sound file that I can replay to refresh my memory

Thirties
06-24-2007, 13:45
Originally posted by Nolyn
Another alternative for converting spoken words to written text is the speech recognition software that is out there now. Not had any feedback on that.

For now I'm happy just to have a sound file that I can replay to refresh my memory

Speech recognition is surprisingly effective, but, currently intended for only one voice at a time. you have to train the software to recognize your own voice -- when you catch a cold, it will not work as well, for example.

Nolyn
06-24-2007, 15:26
oh well, seems like we are reduced to typing it all in by hand fro the foreseeable future. I'll keep mine in audio format unless I'm desperate for a transcript.