range of opinion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : range of opinion

TheVeryIdea
06-19-2007, 15:46
I'm thisclose to getting a membership at Shooter's World, mostly because it's close to where I live, but I'd like to get the opinions of Phoenix area Glockers (or other shooters, as it were.) Caswell's is pretty far out of my way, even though I work in east Phoenix, and the Scottsdale club is pricey and far out of my way, but I'd hate to write them off without getting some input. I'd also like to check out Ben Avery, but that pretty much means sacrificing my early morning weekend sleep since it's unfeasibley hot to do anything outside after 0800. Ditto for Phoenix Rod and Gun down at South Mountain.

Opinions on those places? Have I missed any ranges?

On a semi-related note, I go back to Flag relatively frequently, and I know there isn't any formal range; I read in the the Daily Sun that that might change, but that obviously doesn't do me much good right now. Does anyone know of any places up on the hill where a guy and his G17 can spend some quality time together?

Scottsdale Thug
06-19-2007, 16:00
I am a member at the SGC. $29.99 a month for unlimited range time is good enough for me. It normally costs $15 an hour so I figure if I go a couple(3) times a month it is worth it. When I joined they gave me 50% off the one time fee and I hear that they do that ALOT so just talk to the sales reps.

Standard Membership Benefits!

• Use of 24 state-of-the-art air-conditioned shooting lanes with no range fees
• FREE Machine Gun rental on your Birthday (Mini Uzi, MP5, MP5K, or UMP with 2 magazines and a target)
• 1 FREE handgun rental each year
• 1 FREE firearms safety check each year
• FREE use of Eye and Ear protection
• 1 FREE Members’ T-shirt
• 6 Guest passes a year entitling Guests to full day use of the public range
• Lane reservation - One lane per member [minimum 24 hours advanced notice, maximum 48 hours advance notice; subject to availability]
• Reduced rates on training courses
• Reduced firearms rental fees
• Reduced rates for firearms storage
• Reduced rates for use of the Tactical Shoot House
• Range ammo always discounted for Members
• Price matching on firearms in stock in Metro-Phoenix stores [does not pertain to internet sales or mail order]
• FFL transfer fee of $15 (normally $45) [does not apply to NFA transfers]
• No charge for special orders
• Monthly “Members Only” sales [in addition to the normal Member discounts]
• Periodic raffles for Members only
• Holster and Rifle (Tactical) qualifications

They also offer a "Red White and Blue" membership for LEOs/Paramedics/Firefighters/ExMilitary

Scottsdale Gun Club (http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com)

TheVeryIdea
06-19-2007, 21:18
Originally posted by Scottsdale Thug
...When I joined they gave me 50% off the one time fee and I hear that they do that ALOT so just talk to the sales reps.

Thanks, Thug. That 50 percent off the initiation fee could be enough to sway me. (Well, that and the free machine gun use on my birthday. :)) Thus is the kind of inside info I'm looking for!

Azjeeper
06-20-2007, 01:00
Is it true scottsdale gun club has a memebership package that includes a free machine gun rental on your birthday? I heard that somewhere.

Scottsdale Thug
06-20-2007, 04:17
Yeah... look at my post above, that's tight off of their web page. It's just the standard membership.

edited to add link SGC Membership Info (http://scottsdalegunclub.com/memberships/standard.php)

Azjeeper
06-20-2007, 10:13
Wow thats pretty awesome! I have always liked their store its very nice and the sales staff are always helpful to me when Im there even when im just looking.

DebraF
06-20-2007, 11:50
Hi,
I am the Practical Firearms Division director for Phoenix Rod and Gun. I know it is hot right now but I encourage you to look into a membership at PR&G. We have lots to offer, many different venues ranging from Small-bore to High Power Rifle and many things in between. With a membership you have access to the range just about year round (with the exception of scheduled range maintanence/cean-up 3 or 4 times a year). You can shoot from 0700 to sundown (the sundown time is posted on the big sign when you come in the gate). Many ranges offer member discounts for scheduled shooting events, for example, our IDPA matches are 5.00 for members and 10.00 for non-members. Please check out our website www.phoenixrodandgun.org or contact me either here or at practicaldirector@gmail.com
I would be glad to show you around our club anytime. Just let me know when :)

Deb

TheVeryIdea
06-20-2007, 14:05
Originally posted by DebraF
...Please check out our website www.phoenixrodandgun.org or contact me either here or at practicaldirector@gmail.com
I would be glad to show you around our club anytime. Just let me know when :)

Deb

Thanks for the personal plug, Deb. I will check out the Web site.

Zonny
06-21-2007, 18:37
Originally posted by TheVeryIdea
Opinions on those places? Have I missed any ranges?

On a semi-related note, I go back to Flag relatively frequently, and I know there isn't any formal range; I read in the the Daily Sun that that might change, but that obviously doesn't do me much good right now. Does anyone know of any places up on the hill where a guy and his G17 can spend some quality time together?

You've missed Rio Salado in East Mesa. Nice outdoor range. $120.00(?) per year I believe.

In Williams we often camp at Kaibab Lake. There is a huge cinder pit right near the lake where we shoot. I know there are a few others in Flag but not sure of their exact location.

TheVeryIdea
06-23-2007, 15:35
Originally posted by Arizonny
You've missed Rio Salado in East Mesa. Nice outdoor range. $120.00(?) per year I believe.

In Williams we often camp at Kaibab Lake. There is a huge cinder pit right near the lake where we shoot. I know there are a few others in Flag but not sure of their exact location.

More good info. Thanks!

Pinetop
06-24-2007, 01:28
Its PR&G for me.

I hate the noise and pollution of indoor ranges. At PR&G I can get in anytime, and as and shoot at whatever venue suites my fancy of the day or firearm of the day. And, as a participating and accredited practical shooter, I have access to the practical range to work on my IDPA or IPSC skill set. Best $90 per year I spend on shooting.

Pinetop