Whats near Hilton Head? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Whats near Hilton Head?

Pop Gunner
06-19-2007, 18:30
Taking the family on vacation for the week next week.
Will be in the Hilton Head area,and need some info.
Non-golfers,whats to do in the immediate area?
We're set on hanging out on the beach,but you can only do that for so-long.Whats the night life like?
Neat tourist attractions around?
Any info will be greatly appreiciated.

jtull7
06-19-2007, 19:21
The ocean.

Pop Gunner
06-20-2007, 16:50
I think that moniker is suppoused to say DORKALERO!

southernshooter
06-20-2007, 17:15
Savannah, GA

Hef
06-20-2007, 17:37
Originally posted by Pop Gunner
Taking the family on vacation for the week next week.
Will be in the Hilton Head area,and need some info.
Non-golfers,whats to do in the immediate area?
We're set on hanging out on the beach,but you can only do that for so-long.Whats the night life like?
Neat tourist attractions around?
Any info will be greatly appreiciated.

I run the Hilton Head Brewing Company. We've got great food and atmosphere during the day, and great nightlife. On Friday and Saturday nights we are the local hotspot for the danceclubs. Our plaza (Hilton Head Plaza) is a hopping area. Our number is 843.785.3900.

My buddy is a charter fishing captain, if you want to do some saltwater fishing.

There are jetski rentals and parasailing tours in Palmetto Bay Marina and South Beach. I've done the parasailing and it's alot of fun.

Downtown Savannah is only 45 minutes driving time from the south end of Hilton Head. They have ghost tours, horse-drawn trolley tours, lots of bars and restaurants, and the whole place is one huge architectural history study. It's fun, just remember to carry a firearm - the bad neighborhoods are BAD, and spread out all over the city.

Palmetto State Shooting Center is in Okatie, just past Bluffton on the mainland, if you feel the urge to go to the range. Their number is 843.379.4867. The proprietors are Bob and Carl, and they're great guys.

The Pinckney Island Wildlife Preserve is located on and around Pinckney Island, located between the northern tip of Hilton Head and the mainland in Bluffton.

You can get great sushi at Hinoki or Kurama's, both near Sea Pines Circle. For BBQ, Jim & Nick's in Bluffton is the best around. The Original Pancake House in Bluffton is a good spot for breakfast, but the lines get long quickly. There's also an IHOP mid-island, by the airport. For good, cheap seafood, there's the Sea Shack. Their food rocks, but it's all served on paper plates with plasticware.

Bonefish Grill is good. New York City Pizza is good, but our pizza is better. :supergrin: Big Bamboo has good food and atmosphere also.

I could go on, but I won't. PM me if you have any questions I can answer for you.

Dave Robertson

Pop Gunner
06-20-2007, 18:20
Thanks for the insight on the surrounding area.
I wrote down those phone numbers and wrote down those locations also.
We always enjoy the jet ski's and para-sailing.

1911Tuner
06-22-2007, 14:20
Parris Island is across the sound, north by northwest. On a clear day...if the wind's just right...you can hear: "Yes Gunny! Right away Gunny! :banana:

Pop Gunner
06-22-2007, 21:13
I seen a bit on the discovery channel about this.
The topic was wives tales true or hype.
They interviewed several people who say they have heard this,but the channel could never verify their findings.
Thanks for the insight,we'll have to go and try this out.Thanks again.

Hef
06-23-2007, 08:13
Originally posted by 1911Tuner
Parris Island is across the sound, north by northwest. On a clear day...if the wind's just right...you can hear: "Yes Gunny! Right away Gunny! :banana:

I've had many days of hearing the guns at Parris Island from the beach on Hilton Head. MCAS Beaufort is close by as well. They've got a great sign at the main gate which says,

That "noise" you hear is the sound of FREEDOM!

:supergrin:

1911Tuner
06-23-2007, 11:44
Dunno if it is or not, Pop. I've never listened to PI from Hilton Head...but I have looked toward Hilton Head from PI and wondered if there were any gorgeous blondes over there worth jumpin' ship over...

:thumbsup:

B Wood
06-24-2007, 07:51
Never realized someone from HHI was here....and all this time I thought I was the only one.

HHI is largely the tourist / beach resort. We lived on the island for some time, but sold the house for a huge profit and moved across the Broad River to Beaufort. Much more of a night life in Beaufort than Hilton Head.

A must see is the Marine museum on Parris Island. Beaufort MCAS is also local....with units flying FA-18 Hornets. We also see US Navy anti sub planes flying in for fuel, etc.

There are several ranges in the area....indoor ranges. Only one outdoor range I know of, and it is run by a range nazi.......the one outdoor range is out in the boonies in Ridgeland. The best indoor range is Palmetto state and has active GSSF matches there. Ask for Bob or Carl.
http://www.palmettostateshooting.com/pss_index.htm

There are two other indoor ranges I know of - one in Hardeeville.....don't waste your time going there...sporadic hours...and Rickys in Beaufort which was recently shut down / in the process of being sold.

Best bet for fun times is go to Beaufort, Savannah, or Charleston. Savannah. Charleston has the Patriot Point museum....great place to visit....also Fort Sumter, Ft Moultrie, the Hunley, and amazing places to eat.

For Hilton Head places to eat....there are a LOT of tourist dive places....best bets are:
- Charley Crab
- Sage Room
- Sante Fe
- Alligator Bar & Grill

For a place on the Intercoastal Waterway for casual dining, cold beers and a view...go to the Boat House on Squire Pope Road. Not the best food...but great view. Charley Crab is right next door and has amazing seafood. Do NOT go to Crazy Crab.....the food sucks. They prey on tourists.

as for the ladies...Charleston has the hottest looking ladies. HHI is largely frumpy midwesterners......LOL

good luck