Smooth contouring the trigger guard [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Smooth contouring the trigger guard

JMBare
06-19-2007, 23:55
Does anyone else have issues with the underside of the trigger guard, wearing on the second knuckle of thier middle finger on thier strong hand, as a result of the rightside corner of the trigger guard "digging" into that finger?

It seems like anytime I practice draw firing drills, or just spend "too much" time at the range, this finger gets sore. this is especially noticable if I am shooting one of my smaller framed guns(G19/32 or G26/33), where this finger is even more crowded than with the larger guns.

I have compared this area to some of my other guns and decided that this is a design flaw of the glocks. There simply isn't a smooth enough contour in that area, it is just too acute of a transition, resulting in a "corner" that is unnecesarly "sharp".

Does anyone offer the service to smooth out this contour and keep the OEM smooth finish on the gun? I have seen examples of many companies such as Robar which can reshape the trigger guard, to just about any shae you choose, but they always seem to finish the work with some pretty aggressive stipling. WHile I can appreciate the improvment this stipling may make to retention under hot or otherwise stressful situations where swaet may make the gun slippery, I fear the aggressive stipling will just serve to worsen the problem I have with this knuckle.

If antone know who can help, and do a good job in the process, I will really appriciate the referral.

I sure would love to see Glock eventually do away with the finger groves all together in the next re-design. It just seems to me like more people I know complain about them, than compliment them, especially on the smaller framed guns. Especially considering it is much easier to add finger groves in through the use of some aftermarket grip, such as the Hogue handall, than it is to remove them if they are unwanted.

Thanks,
JMB

Duck of Death
06-20-2007, 14:45
Get some sand paper, takes about 5 min. I do it to all my Glocks.

Also rounded the trigger guard on my G23 @ G26. If you want to shoot USPSA/PRODUSCTION don't do this.

GRR
06-24-2007, 22:01
Ah, the infamous Glock Knuckle. I've got a little bump of calcium on that knuckle. Like Duck said just sand it out (the frame, not the knuckle). I also fix my Glocks that way. Wish I had started doing it earlier.

Ghost Tracker
06-25-2007, 10:25
To modify & smooth the GLOCK frame, including opening & rounding the underside of the trigger guard, I've had very good luck using Scotch-Brite "green" abrasive pads. I first started experimenting with various techniques & abrasives to remove the plastic flash-line (where the mold comes together & leaves a line) inside the bottom of the trigger guard, but still wanting to match my newly-smoothed area with the rest of the GLOCK factory finish. Green 3M Scotch-Brite pads work like a charm.

For the GLOCK knuckle modification, just cut a 1" wide strip (with sissors) off the long side of the pad. Clamp your stripped frame so that the magwell is pointing skyward and hold both ends of the abrasive strip to "buff" the knuckle area like buffing a shoe-shine. The process goes at a very easily-controlled rate and the resulting finish is very hard to tell from "factory".

The process works so well that I've also; completely removed my trigger guard hook, relieved the area where my trigger-finger enters the guard, dished a dimple behind my mag release, and removed all the mold flash. But no one can tell the finshed edges aren't factory.

Go slowly, take your time, & have fun. But make sure to clean the frame VERY WELL before re-assembly as both the frame grit & the pad grit are VERY abrasive.

JMBare
06-25-2007, 11:33
Originally posted by Ghost Tracker
To modify & smooth the GLOCK frame, including opening & rounding the underside of the trigger guard, I've had very good luck using Scotch-Brite "green" abrasive pads. I first started experimenting with various techniques & abrasives to remove the plastic flash-line (where the mold comes together & leaves a line) inside the bottom of the trigger guard, but still wanting to match my newly-smoothed area with the rest of the GLOCK factory finish. Green 3M Scotch-Brite pads work like a charm.

For the GLOCK knuckle modification, just cut a 1" wide strip (with sissors) off the long side of the pad. Clamp your stripped frame so that the magwell is pointing skyward and hold both ends of the abrasive strip to "buff" the knuckle area like buffing a shoe-shine. The process goes at a very easily-controlled rate and the resulting finish is very hard to tell from "factory".

The process works so well that I've also; completely removed my trigger guard hook, relieved the area where my trigger-finger enters the guard, dished a dimple behind my mag release, and removed all the mold flash. But no one can tell the finshed edges aren't factory.

Go slowly, take your time, & have fun. But make sure to clean the frame VERY WELL before re-assembly as both the frame grit & the pad grit are VERY abrasive.

Thank you very much!!! This information is very helpful!!! I am going to give it a try.

-JMB

S391
02-04-2009, 16:49
Can anyone post some pics of their handiwork?

540mope
02-12-2009, 07:37
Can anyone post some pics of their handiwork?

yeah...some pics, please??

ERASER
02-19-2009, 18:44
I modified my trigger guard years ago. I have some pictures but, unfortunately, they are too large to upload to GT.

I'm glad I did mine.....it made a BIG difference.

The10mm Man
03-28-2009, 19:18
just relieved mine today with a dremel and then stippled the grip. pics are crappy though from my cell.

glockpeter
03-29-2009, 02:37

Many thanks !!!
Any pics please ???
Peter

glockpeter
04-13-2009, 07:54
http://i41.tinypic.com/xmsyok.gif any pics pls

Hoopster
04-13-2009, 07:57
Get some sand paper, takes about 5 min. I do it to all my Glocks.

Also rounded the trigger guard on my G23 @ G26. If you want to shoot USPSA/PRODUSCTION don't do this.

+1 I tried using a rat-tail file but files don't work well compared to sand paper.

dugo
04-13-2009, 08:11
Funny, happens to me on the 36 but not on others that are s'posed to have the same grigger guard contour (19? 26?). Oh, well... breaking out the sandpaper, anyway, and thanks for asking this question. Using pretty fine grit, I guess, huh?

ERASER
04-13-2009, 12:09
Here's one photo of my G27.

cowboy1964
12-09-2009, 14:10
To modify & smooth the GLOCK frame, including opening & rounding the underside of the trigger guard, I've had very good luck using Scotch-Brite "green" abrasive pads

Anyone have pics of results using this method?

TexasPOff
12-10-2009, 07:58
I use a dremel then finish out with emory cloth 420 then 1000. The area comes out smooth and finished. If you texture the area, it will rub your finger raw during extended shooting. I use the same method for rounding the front, but I do add texturing to the front.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC04066.jpg

faawrenchbndr
01-05-2010, 14:14
Just did a G19 in about 15 minutes,........:supergrin:
Holy crap, what a differance a small amount of blending makes!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/Guns%20and%20stuff/GlockG19.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/Guns%20and%20stuff/G19triggerguardblend.jpg

Jim S.
01-11-2010, 19:33
I rounded all the edges of my Glocks. Took the finger bumps off and rounded the trigger guard. I used a dremmel with a fine sanding disk, and I also used sandpaper from 400 through 1000g.
I wanted to blend it in so I glass bead blasted the frame and it came out nice and satiny grey and you cannot tell where I sanded.
Too bad I can't figure out how to post pictures.

faawrenchbndr
01-12-2010, 04:59
Jim'

Could you e-mail me a pic of the frame?
Been very interested in a few mods, then blasting the frame.
Send me a pm,.....thanks!