when the meat is cheap do you stack it deep? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : when the meat is cheap do you stack it deep?

97guns
06-20-2007, 04:17
a few weeks ago when country style pork ribs were on sale for .99 i bought around 12 pounds and froze 1/2 of it. i definately do this when chicken breast is at .99, right now we have whole chicken for .79 and pork butts for .99 - just wondering who else stacks 'em deep?

HalfMoon
06-24-2007, 19:01
Me too.

Right now the freezer is full of 30oz Angus Ribeyes and some Angus Porterhouses. Too lazy to go snap a pic, but here's an old one of how my freezer in the garage usually looks:

http://www.picturesbytony.com/freeze.jpg

Those are Hops in the bottom... Really..

groundhawg
06-26-2007, 21:30
without a doubt. i love the idea and security of always having food availible. i have friends and girlfriend for that matter that have to go to the store when they want to eat. i pulled out some summer sausage,homemade chicken sausage and 2 packs of venison tenderloin from my freezer today, and started planning lunch and supper for the rest of the week.
i often buy and repackage whole tenderloin, strip or ribeye if the price is right. :thumbsup:
ps. ive been known to buy 30+ pounds of the
western style ribs. you can feed a load of
people for next to nothing.

K.C. Dia
06-27-2007, 08:22
Yep. I bought a food saver about five months ago and now look for meat that is on sale. I always have some good things in my freezer now. Kroger sometimes have porterhouse steaks on sale for $5.99 a pound, I snatch a few of those up every time.

TurboRocket
06-27-2007, 08:31
For people who "stack it deep when it is cheap", perhaps consider buying a quarter or half from a local grass-fed beef/lamb/goat/whatever rancher. In my area, it goes for approximately $2.50 per pound hanging weight, processed and vacuum sealed beef. Getting filet and T-bones for the approximate price of ground sirloin in a big box market is a great thing. Plus, there is much higher Omega-3 content in grass-fed meats; something the American diet is severely lacking. If you can't store a full quarter, just buddy up with someone.

Nicky D
06-29-2007, 14:15
Originally posted by TurboRocket
For people who "stack it deep when it is cheap", perhaps consider buying a quarter or half from a local grass-fed beef/lamb/goat/whatever rancher. In my area, it goes for approximately $2.50 per pound hanging weight, processed and vacuum sealed beef. Getting filet and T-bones for the approximate price of ground sirloin in a big box market is a great thing. Plus, there is much higher Omega-3 content in grass-fed meats; something the American diet is severely lacking. If you can't store a full quarter, just buddy up with someone.

This is something that I have been thinking about doing but I need to get just a freezer. We have a second fridge/freezer but there is not enough room for that much meat. I primary fridge in the kitchen is actual quite small, maybe 18-19 cubic feet.

MrsKitty
06-29-2007, 16:29
Originally posted by HalfMoon

Those are Hops in the bottom... Really..

Why haven't I thought of that! I think hops are the cleansing agent in beer that helps with kidney infections. I checked for hops in pill form in health stores and they thought I was nuts! Whatever it is, I should be able to get it from a homebrewing place. I am not familiar with any of them. Where do you get hops?

MrsKitty
06-29-2007, 16:30
We stock up on other things, too. Canned or frozen veggies, peanut butter or things that we eat a lot of.

HalfMoon
07-02-2007, 23:56
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Why haven't I thought of that! I think hops are the cleansing agent in beer that helps with kidney infections. I checked for hops in pill form in health stores and they thought I was nuts! Whatever it is, I should be able to get it from a homebrewing place. I am not familiar with any of them. Where do you get hops?

I buy whole hops by the pound at http://www.freshops.com/

Hops are the flower of the Hop vine, and the oils are the bittering agent that offsets the sweet malt in Beer, so good luck trying to eat them. I hope you're going to grind them and put them in capsules.

Cheers.

Passafist
07-03-2007, 00:59
Originally posted by TurboRocket

How much to ship that to West Central Florida?

MrsKitty
07-03-2007, 07:28
Originally posted by HalfMoon
I buy whole hops by the pound at http://www.freshops.com/

Hops are the flower of the Hop vine, and the oils are the bittering agent that offsets the sweet malt in Beer, so good luck trying to eat them. I hope you're going to grind them and put them in capsules.

Cheers.

If they will help me get rid of this stone and all the infection it causes I will munch them like a rabbit!

There are six gazillion kinds! :shocked:

Thanks!

TurboRocket
07-03-2007, 07:46
Originally posted by Passafist
How much to ship that to West Central Florida?

:shocked: A quarter is about 175 lbs. Then add packaging and dry ice; it wouldn't be cheap. Regardless, my source doesn't ship. Heck, he barely markets. He's just a farmer. He delivers his live cattle to the butchers and his customers pick it up from the butchers. Otherwise, he'd have the expense of cold transport and cold storage, more labor, and additional licensure from the state.

Grass-fed beef ranchers are plentiful here so I'd imagine it is similar across the country.

Passafist
07-03-2007, 08:27
Thanks. I'm going to head out towards YeeHaw Junction (Yep, actual name of a place) and see what I can find out that way. Hopefully I can find a rancher looking to make a sale and turn me into a regular customer.