Travel to South Carolina [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Travel to South Carolina

G19CCW
06-20-2007, 08:02
I posted this as well in the Carry Issue section, but figured I'd post here as well.

I'm getting ready to spend a week in Myrtle Beach, SC with the family for a hopefully relaxing vacation. I looked on the Packing.org website and I see where VA accepts a SC CCW, but not the other way around. I know that NC accepts a VA CCW, so my question is when making the drive down, what do I do with my firearm when I cross the SC border. According to Packing.org, this is what it states about carrying in a vehicle:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance

My take on this would be as long as I take it off my person and put it in the center console of the car, I should be good to go.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this????

Sgt. Schultz
06-21-2007, 19:43
You are correct ... anyone that does not have a concealed weapons permit AND can legally own a pistol ... the weapon must be secured in a closed glove compartment or center console that latches shut, it does NOT have to lock and the pistol can be loaded, if you have do have to open the compartment I suggest that you tell the officer about the pistol BEFORE you do so.