Insurance [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Goldendog Redux
06-20-2007, 12:48
I have Allstate for all of my insurance including motorcycles and snowmobiles. It seems I can save a lot money for both of those going through Progressive.

What is the catch? Allstate seems pretty good. At least they were when I had a vehicle claim.

Thoughts?
MF

NMGlocker
06-20-2007, 12:58
I had homeowners and 3 car policies with Allstate, zero claims, perfect driving record. When I called to get a policy on my Kawasaki ZX10R they initially quoted me a really high rate (and raised all my other rates) then told me they would not insure the bike at all (but kept the rate increase on my other policies).
I told them to stick all my policies up their tailpipe.
I went with Geico and saved several hundred a year across the board.

fnfalman
06-20-2007, 23:35
I've found out that it varies with the agents and the years, or magic, because I can't seem to get a conclusive quote from anybody. A couple of years back Encompass was the cheapest then Progressive and now State Farm. Geico quote to me (from a sales person) was outrageous. Geico online quote to me was insulting. Anyway, my suggestion is to call them all and see who gives you the cheapest.

I totalled an Aprilia last year and Progressive handled the affair quickly and painlessly.

stmcelroy
06-21-2007, 10:59
We've got State Farm.

I've been in two wrecks in the previous 10 months, both not my fault. First was a kid on a brand new street bike ran a stop sign and I t-boned him(and I still bought a bike:thumbsup: ), that totalled our Mustang.

The other was a chain reaction rearending caused by a distracted soccer mom.

Though both State Farm has been great.

When I was contemplating getting a bike I called around and was shocked at the rates I was receiving.

Called our State Farm agent and for my ZZR600 full coverage was only $182/year w/a $500 deductible. Our car insurance is a little higher than I think it should be especially being 35, but i've got a ticket and a 24 year old wife with two speeding tickets.

So overall I'm very happy with State Farm, and don't think that I could do any better.

Steve

NMGlocker
06-21-2007, 11:03
Originally posted by fnfalman
Geico quote to me (from a sales person) was outrageous. Geico online quote to me was insulting.
What state were you listing as your primary address?
I would imagine CA rates would be much higher across the board than NM rates.

fnfalman
06-21-2007, 11:08
Originally posted by NMGlocker
What state were you listing as your primary address?
I would imagine CA rates would be much higher across the board than NM rates.

I had them quoted me both states and California isn't that much higher than New Mexico.

whogasak47
06-21-2007, 12:05
Originally posted by Goldendog Redux
I have Allstate for all of my insurance including motorcycles and snowmobiles. It seems I can save a lot money for both of those going through Progressive.

What is the catch? Allstate seems pretty good. At least they were when I had a vehicle claim.

Thoughts?
MF

I have been with Progressive since the 1970's . No complaints or claims . Have State Farm for auto. Progressive is 1/4 the price of
the Farm or the Dirty Hands Folks in Louisiana

Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

Batesmotel
06-21-2007, 12:28
I have 6 vehicles (personal and company) and home owners with Allstate. My rates are about the same as quotes from other companys I got two years ago for the same coverage. I could get beter rates with less coverage. Also I have 2 cars I only insure in the summer or for a few days in the winter. Allstate has no problem with that, some others won't do it. I like my agent not just the company. I think the agent makes a big difference in the rates.

whogasak47
06-21-2007, 12:35
Originally posted by Batesmotel
I have 6 vehicles (personal and company) I like my agent not just the company. I think the agent makes a big difference in the rates.

I Have thought this true. I think if they do not know you ,you get the sucker(highest rates). There may be something to this.

Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

WellArmedSheep
06-21-2007, 15:15
I've had to use my Progressive motorcycle insurance because of an at-fault accident (I locked up the brakes mid-corner...not too much injury, but $5K worth of damage to the bike). I called to report my claim and the adjuster was out the next day to look over the bike. He went over it with a fine tooth comb and cut me a check on the spot for repairs. Once it got to the shop, the bill was greater than the ammount of the check + my deductable, so they sent me another check. Great service, it was the lowest price I could find also. My rates didn't go up after the accident, either.

Lone Wolff
06-21-2007, 16:41
They really do vary. Progressive quoted me a rate that was over 3 times the rate that I got with State Farm. Geico and others were about twice the rate I got with State Farm. No accident history. (Knock on wood).

Tri-five
06-24-2007, 17:35
I have had Allstate homeowner, auto, rv and MC for 25+ yrs. About 6 years ago, a friend suggested I call Foremost for the MC. They quoted 1/2 Allstate including insuring $3000 in accessories. Those with Allstate may know they do not cover accessories. I've been with Foremost since with two separate MC's. Still use Allstate for others. Have no claims for comparison, but my friend reports excellent customer service with Foremost.

minuteman32
06-24-2007, 19:33
I have AIG for our cars because of a pretty good "NRA discount". Since they don't have mc ins., I went w/ Dairyland. I had them before & they were pretty good (they took my money & sent me a card to get my plates!), but I never had a claim on my bikes.

JAREDG21
07-07-2007, 11:05
Shop around progressive quoted me 2200 per year on my gsx-r. a local allstate provider gave me full coverage for about 850.