Doctors asking women and kids about guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Doctors asking women and kids about guns

.50bmg
06-20-2007, 18:41
Has anyone had this happen to them in the ATL area. When you go in they dont ask the question but when the wife or kids go they ask if there are any guns in the house, safety, loaded or not etc.

Joe D
06-21-2007, 10:20
Funny you should ask. My wife's sister took her child to the doctor last week. The doc asked the 9 year old child if there were any guns in their house.
If that had been my child the response would have been "It's none of your business". I wonder where this is coming from?

.50bmg
06-21-2007, 12:41
Joe exactly my point, where is this coming from. Come on you DRs from GA that love guns chime in and let us know what the heck is going on.....

Batesmotel
06-21-2007, 13:12
My wifes OB/Gyn had a question about firearms in the home on one of his forms. She refused to answer it. The practice was taken over by a woman. I don't know if she is pro gun but she has done a lot of work with rape victoms and the question is not on the new forms.

Jason F
06-23-2007, 23:37
I may be wrong about this, but I thought it was because some insurance companies were wanting to know about firearms in the home. Not that matters at all with health insurance, but I guess they're just trying to "feel people out" with innocquous questions, and then maybe at some point later in time add owning firearms as another surcharge just like a pre-existing condition perhaps??

Or even a reason to drop you from coverage? (Or to deny claims that may result from injury brought about by your firearms?)

None of it sits well with me and as soon as I got married (4 years ago) I told my wife that she should never answer that question because it's none of their business. Thankfully she agrees.

Minuteman
06-24-2007, 00:59
Yes, I had a similar questionare in Florida.

You might also consider that the govt' can acces your medical records without a warrant. So any info gathered by the doctors can be given to the gov't.

:patriot:

jawjaboy
07-01-2007, 05:50
My son-in-law is in Medical school in Augusta, starting his 3rd year Monday. I keep meaning to ask him about this subject, but keep forgetting. :headscratch: He, however, is an active, avid shooter. Very pro firearm. Maybe I'll remember one day!

glockdoc21
07-01-2007, 19:34
Yeah, it's on the list of questions that you're supposed to ask to assess the dangers that the child faces at home (smoking, alcohol, guns, lead paint, etc). Personally I'd rather ask which parent, if any, is an irresponsible idiot rather than ask if there is a firearm in the home, b/c giving one of those a firearm only slightly increases their already incredible danger to the child.

Jason F
07-01-2007, 21:41
Yeah, if the questions are really to guage child safety they'd be much better off asking if there is a pool at the home since that is so much more dangerous for kids than a weapon.

Joe D
07-02-2007, 19:35
As I stated before, it is none of their business. I don't even give them my Social Security number.