stepson in Anbar "detached" from unit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : stepson in Anbar "detached" from unit

cassandra
06-22-2007, 09:00
My stepson is in Anbar Province in a helicopter crew but he sent a short email saying he was going to be detached to security...what does that mean? Why would a unit detach a member? Is that good or bad?

And what is "security"?

His dad and I are just wonderin.

Kingslayer
06-22-2007, 09:36
He could be guarding their bases gates or guarding the armory or anything security related.

When you have a large deployment the responsibilities of somethings are split up between all the units and they have a quota of people they need to give up to fill those responsibilities.

When we were on ship we had different units. Infantry, Motor T, AAVs, air wing, etc. All of them had to give people up for security in port or mess duty, all sorts of things.

It's nothing out of the ordinary. But what he is specifically doing is vague. He could be doing a great number of things. My guess is a simply security detail probably guarding the base.

Ask him what he's securing.

cassandra
06-22-2007, 09:55
Thanks for the reply. He had a lot of problems as a kid and barely made it through high school. I just hope he's learning and doing okay, for his sake.

Kingslayer
06-25-2007, 14:42
You'd be suprised how good the Marine Corps is at straightening people out.

chadb1019
07-12-2007, 20:56
Amen brother

Ignition
07-21-2007, 19:02
one of the things about the Marine Corps is yes you have a job today... but tomorrow it can be something totally different.

We only have so many Marine MP's to guard the bases, then alot of those are out training the Iraqi police/military and doing other job.

So other Marines come in to the rescue of our brothers and do other jobs to help relieve some of the demands of needed personnel. Take for instance Marine Corp Bands that are deployed... most usually take Security detachments as well.

Batesmotel
07-21-2007, 19:10
I was in the infantry but was detached from my unit and atached to another all the time usualy as a driver but also guard duty and maintenance. The Corps is small, this is our way of multi-tasking. everyone does multiple jobs.

RM
07-24-2007, 16:46
Originally posted by Ignition

We only have so many Marine MP's to guard the bases, then alot of those are out training the Iraqi police/military and doing other job.

The Marine MPs aren't training IPs, the PiTTs are doing that and for the most part the PiTTs are combat arms officer and SNCOs, a few log and comm types and a smattering of Marines for security and to act as drivers. The police expertise came from the IPLOs (International Police Liaison Officers) to do the advising on being Police.

Most MPs are being used in the MMSO function as convoy security, a few are being used in the law enforcement function on bases like TQ and AA. Base security is mostly from Provisional Security Companies, allot of these come from TF MP, but TF MP is normally a Artillery Battalion given a provisional mission.

chadb1019
07-24-2007, 19:48
+1 on the arty.

When I was with 2nd Tanks, we helped in the training of 10th Marines preparing to deplpoy conducting MOUT operations.

Kingslayer
07-25-2007, 10:17
The only things I ever got detached to was as a guard at the brig. We took prisoners out each day to different sections of the base to do police calls. And I was COG at the Courthouse Bay guard shack. The engineer students did guard duty while AAV NCOs did COG/SOG.

I had the usual mess duties, armory duties, etc.