Turtle shell helmets in non-helmet states...why bother? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Turtle shell helmets in non-helmet states...why bother?


fnfalman
06-22-2007, 10:47
Once again, this isn't a thread about knocking on "Harleys" or "cruiser" guys, because plenty of sportbikers wear these turtle shells (aka novelty helmets) too.

I can understand that the wearers wear these things in helmet-law states as a sign of defiance and for comfort because since that they're not real impact helmets, they're extremely light.

BUT when you're in a non-helmet-law state, why bother wearing them at all? That's the part that I don't get. If you're going to be bothered with wearing a brain bucket, then why not get a real brain bucket? If you don't have to wear a helmet at all, then why wearing one that does nothing for you?

Just trying to understand, that's all.

http://www.ironhorsehelmets.com/images/New%20Pictures/newusabig.jpg

NMGlocker
06-22-2007, 11:58
Ockham's razor says... because they're stupid.
Magic 8-ball says... because they're stupid.
Wife-beater, flip-flop, turtle-shell-helmet wearing squids say... cause it's tre-cool dude!

2 out of 3 experts agree... because they're stupid!
:thumbsup:

oldgraywolf
06-22-2007, 19:24
I live in a helmet law state and essentially all the Harley dudes and quite a few of the wannabe cruiser types wear the "minimalist" helmets.

I ride a _very_ cool custom Harley and a BMW R1100RT and I wear a Shoei X-11 no matter which bike I'm on. My leather jacket is not black, either, so I am totally uncool on my Hawg. I'm too old to worry about being in the correct uniform and I know what my head is worth to me.

Laszlo
06-22-2007, 19:49
It saves you from sunstroke:supergrin:

NMGlocker
06-22-2007, 19:49
I used to have a pic of a guy who slid face first down the pavement.
You could see the exact line where his shorty helmet stopped, because that was how far his face and jaw were ground down.
Gruesome.

HollowHead
06-22-2007, 23:13
Tsk, tsk, tsk...many of those are D.O.T. and therefore, endorsed by the law. Helmet technology has advanced enough that it's no longer always necessary to look like Darth Vader to be protected. HH

oldgraywolf
06-23-2007, 03:35
My only crash was taking out a deer in 1983. I slid a long ways down the road, mostly on my back and left side. My Bell 3/4 helmet was well scuffed and ground. It occurred to me then that had I been in a different position I would not have a face. Been wearing full coverage buckets since. I see virtually no other Harley riders who wear them.

fnfalman
06-23-2007, 06:21
Originally posted by HollowHead
Tsk, tsk, tsk...many of those are D.O.T. and therefore, endorsed by the law. Helmet technology has advanced enough that it's no longer always necessary to look like Darth Vader to be protected. HH

I'm not talking about real DOT helmets. I'm talking about the novelty helmets that are nothing more than a thin skin of plastic or tin. If you don't have to wear a helmet in a state that doesn't require it, then why bother wearing these things? You get helmet hair for nothing.

USMCsilver
06-23-2007, 10:10
I wear a DOT Fulmer turtle shell when on my Harley and the wife wears a DOT Harley branded chrome dome shell. They're more comfortable and less vision restrictive.

Granted, it would suck to go down, but, well, at least we have something on our heads.

FWIW, I wear a Shoei/Shoei/AGV when riding my 1000RR. Crash is more immenent(sp) when on that bike. :supergrin:

wolfy692005
06-23-2007, 12:38
my only guess is that they themesevles are not sure whether they want to wear a helment or not. i agree on what most have said here. I do not wear one at all when i can. When i have to i will wear the noveltie helment and that said i do see a lot of people in this state where there is no helment law wear the noveltie's.. not sure why good question.

Blitzer
06-23-2007, 14:00
It helps prevent road rash? :upeyes:

Cryptoboy
06-28-2007, 10:11
Originally posted by fnfalman
I'm not talking about real DOT helmets. I'm talking about the novelty helmets that are nothing more than a thin skin of plastic or tin. If you don't have to wear a helmet in a state that doesn't require it, then why bother wearing these things? You get helmet hair for nothing.

My first thought would be to look cool. My second thought would be to help with sunburn. I rode up to Alpine AZ with some friends for Memorial Day weekend w/o a lid (of course I'm one of those Harley riders! lol) and the top of my head was good and baked! Wore a doo-rag for the ride back home on Sunday.

But then, I'm starting to look into a good full helmet (the one I have is just too heavy for any distance riding, and my 1/2 helmet gets too many wind gusts). :supergrin:

epsylum
06-28-2007, 10:29
Semi-OT, but...

Am I the only one that thinks most bicycle helmets are about as useless as these things (i.e. only covers the very top of the head)?

I am not sure why they wear them, but even if I had a cruiser, I would be wearing a full face helmet, and a good one at that (I'm a die-hard Arai fan). I have seen plenty of pics of people who slid on their face, even with an open face helmet. Sure they are alive, but it is hard to keep your lunch down when you look at them for the rest of their lives.

I can always open my visor for some breeze, but the open facers cannot put a chin bar on before they go down.

DaisyCutter
06-28-2007, 14:07
Turtle shell helmets in non-helmet states...why bother?

It'll keep bird poop outa yer hair.

DaisyCutter
06-28-2007, 14:12
Originally posted by epsylum

I can always open my visor for some breeze, but the open facers cannot put a chin bar on before they go down.

I have a road-rashed full-face helmet with a busted screen. It's the best bar-hopping helmet, since it's soo ugly nobody wants to steal it, it's still good enough to guard me in case I flop, and I also get the wind in my face.

epsylum
06-28-2007, 14:51
Originally posted by DaisyCutter
I have a road-rashed full-face helmet with a busted screen. It's the best bar-hopping helmet, since it's soo ugly nobody wants to steal it, it's still good enough to guard me in case I flop, and I also get the wind in my face.

My brother has a selection of craptacular full-face Fulmers (scratch and dents, etc.)that he got for disrt cheap when he worked at a dealership. He uses them as loaner helmets or for any sort of screwing around use (like riding his Blata mini-moto).

I just have my Arai Quantum and love it.

whogasak47
06-29-2007, 16:42
Originally posted by fnfalman
Once again, this isn't a thread about knocking on "Harleys" or "cruiser" guys, because plenty of sportbikers wear these turtle shells (aka novelty helmets) too.

I can understand that the wearers wear these things in helmet-law states as a sign of defiance and for comfort because since that they're not real impact helmets, they're extremely light.

BUT when you're in a non-helmet-law state, why bother wearing them at all? That's the part that I don't get. If you're going to be bothered with wearing a brain bucket, then why not get a real brain bucket? If you don't have to wear a helmet at all, then why wearing one that does nothing for you?

Just trying to understand, that's all.

http://www.ironhorsehelmets.com/images/New%20Pictures/newusabig.jpg



Fashion statement,sometimes is is a chromed Nazi pretender helmet. That's my best guess. Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup: