Michelin LTX Tires ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Michelin LTX Tires ?

Glocker32c
06-23-2007, 14:32
Anyone run Michelin LTX tires?

After doing some research they sound like the best tire for the money.

How do they wear, and how many miles did they last?

I just bought a set for my son's Toyota Tacoma.

Thanks,

Joey

Rob1035
06-23-2007, 18:06
I ran LTX M+S on my Explorer a few years ago. Coming from the OEM (at that time) Firestones, the LTXs were fantastic. Quiet on the highway, great grip in the rain, and they ran great in a few of our NC blizzards. My tire choice for just about an truck or SUV that spends a lot of time on the pavement.

Oh yeah, they were still going strong with 20k miles on them when I sold the Exploder, easily another 10-20k left.

220-9er
06-24-2007, 09:03
They last about 35000 miles on our Explorer. They probably would go 4000 if we used them up completely. The last set had more road noise than normal, very unusual for Michelins. They stay balanced, wear well, work good in wet & dry conditions.

PhuzzyGnu
06-24-2007, 10:21
I have (had?) them on my soon-to-be ex-wife's Suburban. If I were a truck or SUV owner there is no other tire I would put on my vehicle.

They are premium tires at a premium price. As a truck driver I am a firm believer in purchasing good tires, and the Michelin LTX-MS is about the best out the for trucks and SUVs.

NVH is nonexistent- No noise, easy to balance (2 out of 4 tires on the Suburban have no balance weights), and the ride is very compliant- in fact you will constantly think the tires are underinflated by looking at the sidewall deflection. Don't be fooled.

Wear is exceptional- 40,000+ on the Suburban and going strong. My mother's Lexus LX470 has them as well (thanks to me) and it has in the neighborhood of 60,000 on the tires.

A friend of mine had a Dodge 3500 that he did hotshot deliveries with for my Home Depot pro desk. He would carry ridiculous loads like two pallets of concrete or two units of sheetrock. His LTX-MS tires had over 80,000 miles on them!

You can not go wrong.

-p.

Sulaco
07-19-2007, 07:56
I just bought an '02 Tacoma TRD and the previous owner installed a set at 30k miles when the OEM tires wore out. The truck as it sits now, has just over 90k miles on it and the tires probably have another 10k miles left in them. They have all worn evenly and still look and function great. I will consider them when I replace these depending on how much they cost.

walkin' trails
07-25-2007, 20:32
I've had the LTX before. It was a good handling tire. The tire that is really impressing me, though, is the Goodyear Fortera with the kevlar belts. I had a set of them installed on an 04 Explorer four-by. These are the smoothest and quietest riding, best handling truck tires I've yet driven on. They are decent for wet or snow, but a little bit challenged in serious mud (that was an understatement). They're supposed to go 70K miles. The Wrangler comes with the kevlar belt option also, so you can probably get a more agressive off road tread if that's what you need. That's what I'd recommend, anyway.

SDDL-UP
08-17-2007, 13:01
I'm about to replace a set of Big-O All Terrain Dual Groove tires on my Toyota RAV4 (4dr. AWD) and I've got 68,000+ miles out of them (520 treadwear rating). The RAV has a slight alignment issue also or I'm sure they would go a little longer, adding a fifth one into the rotation would get me to 85,000 miles. Anyway I'm torn... get another set because I like them and they are a known quantity (made in America) or try some Continental tires (made in Germany) with a 680 treadwear rating?

$15 difference in price, Big-O being a little more expensive.

Oh... the Michelin tires were almost DOUBLE the cost, but had a 700 treadwear rating.

harleyfx69
08-17-2007, 13:46
they suck off road ..

they get good mileage out of them

and they are spensive ..

Toxie
08-19-2007, 00:23
The Wrangler comes with the kevlar belt option also, so you can probably get a more agressive off road tread if that's what you need. That's what I'd recommend, anyway.

I just got a set of these for my wife's durango (she likes the big-truck look), 265/65 r-17 for $800 out the door. They are a great performing tire so far, very agressive looking and pulled our boat out of a famously steep boat launch no problems in 2wd. I'm curious how they will do in snow, so we'll see in a few months. Tread life guarantee for the wrangler is 55k, but we got 44k out of her last set of wranglers (stock, 35k treadwear guarantee, proper inflation works wonders).

stetson
09-07-2007, 17:38
I just had my rotated for the 3ard time.They have 21,000 miles on
them.I had the tire tech take reading off new tire and it came in at 15/32 and I still had 10/32 so it looks like I could go 60,000 miles
if I want to.The tires are quiet in my 00 Ford powerstroke and lasting as expected.My first set of general lasted only 26,000.

beemerphile
09-07-2007, 17:49
75,000 miles on my 2WD Toyota Tundra with these tires. On my 2nd set.

Lrr