Upgading motherboard [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Upgading motherboard

xFATBOYx
06-24-2007, 08:32
Well here is my problem. I am going to upgrade my motherboard and cpu, but I have an oem copy of xp installed. Now if I go buy a non oem xp and install that then choose the option to transfer files and programs, then replace the motherboard. Will that keep me from having to repurchase my firewall antivirus ect.... Or do I HAVE to reformat and reinstall windows. Thanks for any help.

lens
06-24-2007, 09:33
wrt OEM, the terminology of a "new machine" is a gray area wrt JUST replacing mobo and CPU but using the same case.

Many of us have the belief that this is acceptable. AND that your OEM copy is not a "branded copy" (customized for Gateway, HP, Dell, etc.) . . .

Given that position.

If you are using the same case, etc. you can put the new mobo/CPU in, BOOT off of the OEM CD directly and run a REPAIR INSTALL of XP. This will preserve all your applications and most of your settings. After that, you'll be good to go with minimal headaches.

xFATBOYx
06-24-2007, 09:48
ok cool thats what I thought but you know how it is when you google something, Now you get to see all the hell 3 or 4 people in the world have had and then it starts to scare me. thanks again. Oh and this isn't a hp, dell or...... and I will be using the same case.