Indy I-465: sharp uptick in State Police parking/radar usage. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Indy I-465: sharp uptick in State Police parking/radar usage.

FThorn
06-24-2007, 14:21
Any particular reason that there a TONS more ISP on the side/median on 465 nowadays?

I have seen probably a 400% increase.

I can only assume they are specifically after ME, after-all. Am I right? ;)

IndyGunFreak
06-24-2007, 17:39
Boy you must really have a led foot as often as you post about radar, detectors, speeding, etc.

I've not noticed it anymore than usual..

IGF

blackbeast
06-24-2007, 18:58
i've noticed it too, wondered the same thing. Surely there is a better use of their time.

FThorn
06-24-2007, 19:38
It does not take me any extra neurons to notice them, really. And in the last two weeks, I've seen at least TWO sitting with radar for every 20 or so miles I drive.

I am ticket free for I think near 11 years, now. (3 speed auto, 4 cyl van)

biggl35
06-24-2007, 21:47
Yes, I have noticed a significant increase in ISP traffic enforcement on 465. IMHO, it is needed.

<--Drives a truck locally, and I see all the idiots on the road everyday.

epsylum
06-24-2007, 21:48
I have seen more police cars in general in the last few months for some reason. I see at least one almost every time I drive anywhere it seems, even short trips.

I usually don't speed, but I have sort of have a default speed of 40-45mph on the surface streets, as in I just normally drive that speed without looking at the speedo. So I am usually okay except for school zones and the occasional random 30mph zone which I can an eye out for. Highways I drive as fast as the rest of the traffic (which usually means 70-75mph on 465 ;) ).

blackbeast
06-24-2007, 21:50
speed is nowhere near as big as a problem as
1. people generally driving like asshats.
2. people blatantly running red lights. My jeep is going to be a customized short wheelbase edition sooner or later.

IPDBrad
06-25-2007, 05:17
I am always amazed at how stupid people drive whenever I get out of the police car and drive the wifes car. I never realized how polite people become when they see a police car.

The red light running, tailgating and lane changes without warning let alone space to do so, are out of control.

Of course, people doing all of those things are saving so much time.:upeyes:

FThorn
06-25-2007, 05:19
Originally posted by biggl35
Yes, I have noticed a significant increase in ISP traffic enforcement on 465. IMHO, it is needed.

<--Drives a truck locally, and I see all the idiots on the road everyday.

Now, why do you call the radar traps idiots? :rofl:

FThorn
06-25-2007, 05:23
Originally posted by epsylum
I have seen more police cars in general in the last few months for some reason. I see at least one almost every time I drive anywhere it seems, even short trips.

I usually don't speed, but I have sort of have a default speed of 40-45mph on the surface streets, as in I just normally drive that speed without looking at the speedo. So I am usually okay except for school zones and the occasional random 30mph zone which I can an eye out for. Highways I drive as fast as the rest of the traffic (which usually means 70-75mph on 465 ;) ).

On some of my daily drives, I can see 7 police cars on one 2-mile stretch of road. When I travel, and from other places I have lived, I'm amazed at how many police cars are on the road/visible around here. But, seeing them just driving from point-a-to-point be (even for personal use) is not what I was originally talking about. I'm talking about the ones that are currently parking on 465, with active radar for same-direction traffic. In 15 years, I have never seen so many over a two-week or so period consistently. It just seems like they have been given some new marching orders.

mpholic
06-25-2007, 08:34
Originally posted by IPDBrad
The red light running, tailgating and lane changes without warning let alone space to do so, are out of control.

Out of control is an understatement. I expect this sort of behaviour (that doesn't make it right though) from the yuppies driving their expensive sports cars but I see this more often than not from soccer moms driving their minivans full of kids on the way to school or some kiddie sporting event. Most of them are on their cell phone while doing it too. I can't believe these people are driving so irresponsibly with their children in the car.

boby
06-25-2007, 10:30
Originally posted by IPDBrad
I am always amazed at how stupid people drive whenever I get out of the police car and drive the wifes car. I never realized how polite people become when they see a police car.

Of course, people doing all of those things are saving so much time.:upeyes:

Agreed. The first time I got in a CVP car I was amazed at how much nicer everyone around you is.

Kind of makes me want to buy a crown vic but they guzzle gas...

epsylum
06-25-2007, 14:10
Originally posted by boby
Agreed. The first time I got in a CVP car I was amazed at how much nicer everyone around you is.

Kind of makes me want to buy a crown vic but they guzzle gas...

My dad had a Mercury Marauder for a couple of years. It was funny seeing people change lanes to get out of the way and them slowing down/mashing the brakes to get back under the speed limit because they thought it was a police car.

I wish he still had it. That was a cool car.

Indy_Guy_77
06-25-2007, 16:33
I'm GLAD that I'm seeing more on the roads, especially 465.

What really burns me up, though, is when I have my cruise set at 65 and am passed quite easily by IMPD...without them being on an emergency run.

Too bad there's not a website where citizens can register driving complaints against cruisers! :supergrin:

-J-

FThorn
06-25-2007, 17:54

boby
06-25-2007, 19:10
One day I to will hopefully gain the skill of looking at a police cruiser and instantly knowing its destination!

IPDBrad
06-25-2007, 20:29
Yeah, you know those cops. Always driving too fast when you see them, but they never arrive fast enough when you call.

Loucks
06-26-2007, 02:17
As far as I'm concerned, the more IMPD on 465 the better! That just leaves fewer to cover "Super" 70 while I'm on the way to work. :tongueout:

Z34Lee
06-26-2007, 04:01
I almost never leave Marion county anymore on my normal commutes. I use College Ave, Meridian, 38th, and 10th streets everyday. There are a few things I notice daily. One is not staying in your lane. Meridian, College, and 10th are all very narrow. Don't make it worse by swerving over lanes! Another is constant red-light running. It's not hard to stop in time. Occasionally you catch the tail end of the red light, but I must see people blow through when it's red before they even hit the intersection at least 3 times a trip.

boby
07-14-2007, 04:35
Originally posted by Loucks
As far as I'm concerned, the more IMPD on 465 the better! That just leaves fewer to cover "Super" 70 while I'm on the way to work. :tongueout:

Careful on super 70, I got two tickets in uniform on the way to work the race. If they didn't have mercy for me I don't think anyone else is going to get any mercy either lol....

R. Emmelman
07-14-2007, 07:52
Careful on super 70, I got two tickets in uniform on the way to work the race. If they didn't have mercy for me I don't think anyone else is going to get any mercy either lol....
But, I have the magic pass.... The "Bump Bart" bumper sticker ;)

boby
07-14-2007, 11:27
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
But, I have the magic pass.... The "Bump Bart" bumper sticker ;)

I don't think troopers give a crap about bart.

boilergonzo
07-15-2007, 13:49
While I do sometimes note the speed of police cars without lights (and sometimes with casual clothes and kids...), I also sometimes reflect on people like ISP officer David Rich, who stopped to simply help a motorist and got shot for his good intentions.

I don't know where they are going that fast and why, but I also know that hypothetically, I may have sped once or twice in my lifetime (no confessions here... just for the sake of discussion ...). ;)

I think the controlling factor is if an officer does something truly stupid (hit a pedestrian at 80MPH, drink and drive, get in a fight, etc.) their career can be easily terminated. Teachers and law enforcement don't have the latitude many of us have.

They get few perks to go with the multitude of risks.

Lcsmrz
07-15-2007, 15:40
I'm from Chicago, and when I go back "home", I find that I'm the slow-poke in the right lane, even though I'm think I'm driving aggressively.

With so many "transplants" in Indy from Chicago, St Louis, Cleveland, etc, I wonder if they think they're driving normal ...

paddling_man
07-18-2007, 07:56
St. Louis transplant driver here. I moved to St. Louis 8 years ago (and here 3 months ago.) After driving a lot in the south (atlanta/knoxville) I was amazed at how SLOOOOOOW people seemed to drive on the interstates in St. Louis. A posted 55 meant people seldom exceeded 62 and a posted 65 meant typically no more than 72. Change that too Atlanta, and it seemed like every vehicle was being driven to their absolute mechanical limit. Maybe frustration at typical 2-3 hour delays to drive 15 miles, but when traffic opened up - Watch Out! 85-105 mph!!

Now one bad thing I did notice about St. Louis? Traffic lights! I was nearly t-boned for a year (slow learner) until I realized that EVERYONE seemed to think the first 3-5 seconds of a light that had just turned red was kosher to fly through. Everything from suburban mini-vans to gravel trucks. Geez!

So far, the people here seem relatively sedate. A few blown lights here and there - a typical speed of about 7-8mph over the speed limit. I don't blow lights but the speed seems normal.

Hmmmm. The more I write the more I may be proving your point. ;)

This seems pretty normal.

KSFreeman
07-18-2007, 10:34
I've noticed a lot of red light running in Indianapolis recently.

More self-centered behavior by the Welfare State generation.:sad:

FThorn
07-18-2007, 10:47

So, do you pay them? Have to go to driving school?

boby
07-18-2007, 14:03
Originally posted by FThorn
So, do you pay them? Have to go to driving school?

Yup I just paid them yesterday. $300 dollars in fines and 10 points on my license. I probably could have gotten the judge to give me driving school instead of points but I am leaving for boot camp next month. Usually it takes awhile to get you into the program and then you have to go a few classes.

My insurance is now going to be around $173/month. I also would probably get turned down by any police department I apply to in the next 5 years. Even after 5 years I'm sure they will want a good explanation.

So basically I worked the race in 95 degree heat for $-300 and insurance. Whoohoo...