Bike Security [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bike Security

Slacker
06-25-2007, 07:19
I live in an apartment and cannot keep my bike inside. I leave it on the back porch when i'm not riding it. I need some ideas on how to best secure it. Right now I'm only using one of those "U" locks that are made for bicycles. I have it ran thru the rear rotor and wheel. I will also get a disc lock for the front rotor. I have a support post for the roof that I can chain/cable the bike to but its not much. Its secured to the concrete with what appears to be alum. rivets. I have used bolt cutters on chains before and know how easy it is to get past this. Are the cables harder to get thur? I've seen some pretty impressive looking cables on the net that are like 30mm thick!!! But there high $$$$ are they worth the extra money? Where the bike sits now I can see it out my back door. There is a metal pole on the side of the apt. that the main power line comes thru that I could chain it to but it would be to the side and out of sight. Plus I dont know what the power company would say about that. I am just looking for ideas. I know if someone wants it bad enough nothing will stop them from getting it. Just want to make it difficult enough for them to decide on another target.

whogasak47
06-25-2007, 18:12
it seems a really LOUD alarm ,a gps dot tracking rings,or a super tuff
cable with your disclock will help Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

http://www.bikebone.com/

Lone Wolff
06-26-2007, 19:55
I'd never be able to sleep at night if my bike wasn't locked up in my garage. Hopefully some others here can help you out.

NotAMonte86
06-26-2007, 22:43
Originally posted by Lone Wolff
I'd never be able to sleep at night if my bike wasn't locked up in my garage. Hopefully some others here can help you out.
+1

If you already have a physical lock on the rear, I don't think you'll need one up front as well. One will do just as good (or bad if multiple men just lift the bike) as two. It sounds like you are on the ground floor, not sure why you can't keep it inside, but that sounds like the best bet.

Otherwise I'd go with an alarm. You can make one for under $20... I'm about to put one together involving a tilt sensor, siren, and relay. Or you can just shell out the bucks and get a brand name alarm. Keep your bike close and your firearm closer!

ranger88
06-28-2007, 19:33
I had a NY chain and disc lock routed through both tires along with a 120db alarm all under a Dow cover when I had my Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R back in 1998. I lived in an apartment comlex as well and all that still didn't stop 3 teens from heaving it into the bed of a pickup with little effort. I heard the alarm in time to run out of my front door and see the pickup driving off with my bike in the back, alarm sounding and lights flashing the whole time. I got the tag number of the truck which proved useless as it was stolen too. I found out the hard way that locking up your bike without locking it to something securely is really no security at all to a determined thief. State Farm treated me right on the settlement and six months later I bought a Ducati Monster 900 and a house with a lockable out building shortly after. Make sure that you have good insurance!