Why u ride what u ride? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why u ride what u ride?

Patterson
06-26-2007, 10:09
I hope this does not start any flames flying but I am really curious... why do you ride what you ride? For those who ride cruisers, what made you choose a cruiser over a street bike? For those who ride street bikes, why did you choose that over a cruiser? Why do some choose to ride a 250 (lightweight, nimbleness?) while others feel a need to ride a 1300 (comfort, power, highway commute)?

There's no wrong opinions here, but I would like to hear what type of factors (your style of riding, length of commute, body type, age, etc) have determined the type of bike you ride.

:motorcycle:

USMCsilver
06-26-2007, 10:41
'06 Honda CBR1000RR - When I wanna go fast.

'06 Harley Sportster 883R - When I wanna go slow.

'03 Yamaha XT225 street/trailbike - Well, duh...

oldgraywolf
06-26-2007, 11:32
Lotsa years of riding here. Current rides are a '96 BMW R1100RT and a 2001 Harley Fat Boy that doesn't look anything like when it came off the line. The only thing stock on it is the frame.

I like the BMW for cooler weather and rides when I want some luggage capacity. Harley has no weather protection or luggage. I like the BMW for its smoothness, comfort, and great suspension. It even does a respectable job in the twisties as long as you don't have to do really quick transitions. It's a bike I love to get on and stay on for many miles. And it's not a garbage wagon.

The Harley? If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand. It's elemental motorcycling, visceral, torquey, long, low, what a motorcycle should look and feel like. It's got 95 c.i. jugs, ported heads, a hot cam, heavy clutch, Mikuni smoothbore carb, bobbed rear fender, and a whole lotta chrome, but zero junk hanging on it. Pure bike. At least one of my bikes has been a Harley for the last 20 years, and I will have one as long as I'm able to ride.

ndbullet500
06-26-2007, 12:35
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 - I love the simple elegance of the design, the thumping of the 500cc single and the fun of riding a light motorcycle that can do almost everything except go very fast. I can ride it off road if needed, it will go through curves better than most people would ever expect, and is always fun to look at. http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/connell10/RE_G2.jpg

My late '03 Honda CB750 Nighthawk - Last of a classic design, and I'm a sucker for red bikes. Smooth and reasonably powerful, handled nicely especially with Avon Azarios (although not as quick steering and nimble as the Bullet) and big enough for 2 up to ride comfortably. Put a windshield on, strap on saddlebags and pack my heated vest and I'm good for trips and touring. Take off the windshield and it's a great commuter. Almost zero maintenance, a squirt of chain wax and an oil change once in a while is about it. I was always conflicted about the Hondaline luggage rack - it didn't help looks, but was great to strap things to for trips.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/connell10/PICT0894.jpg

In ~ 48 hours I'll pick up my new red '07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. A vertical twin that has almost the same performance as the CB750, but has better brakes, a slightly better rear suspension and lighter weight. I prefer the lighter bikes for around town. Relaxed, semi-standard riding position. With the removable hard trunk, it should be a decent little "semi-sport tourer". http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/connell10/Ninja650Ra.jpg

I've never liked riding cruisers, mainly because of the seating position, but also because when I can hit the curves, I like to lean a little.

oldgraywolf
06-26-2007, 13:13
ndbullet, I'd give my left one for some time on that Enfield. I started on a '69 Norton Commando 750 and often wish I'd never sold it. I had two Triumphs during the '70s, but neither one had the character of the Commando. If only it would have held timing for more than one day.....

DaisyCutter
06-26-2007, 15:48
Well, I love off-road racing and ride competitively, so that's why I have my 2005 Destry Abbott KX250 factory race bike. It's still a very formidable machine off-road.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL639/2678265/8384558/261215146.jpg

On the street, I ride a 2004 ZRX1200R. It handles just like a really big, torquey dirtbike... albeit with sticky tires. It's all about the performance, without the bling.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL639/2678265/5348258/240167226.jpg

I like that I can smoke most street riders on a bike that isn't much to look at. If you look closely at the ZRX specs, you'll see it's got a strong motor, and pretty good suspension and brakes. I have decent skill, and a lot of nerve on the street. I don't panic, so generally I can smoothly push the limits more than most.

NMGlocker
06-26-2007, 15:50
'05 Kawasaki ZX10R - pure adrenaline on 2 wheels, perfect for doing 0-176mph in under 1 mile, or pull a 120mph power wheelie with no effort.

'06 Kawasaki ZX6R - sweet track bike, light, super quick, fun to get a knee down on.

'07 Aprilia Tuono - 1000cc quick revving v-twin, the whole package is like riding a 130hp dirt bike on the street, makes hooliganism too easy. Italian exclusivity and soul.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/Hpim0082.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/tuono_zx6.jpg

nsb22
06-26-2007, 17:11
My first 3 bikes were cruisers, but I never like riding them due to the fact I always felt like I was going to fall off the back.

I just bought a cbr600f2 because I like how I feel on the bike. Comfortable. I also like that fact that I can take a corner faster than I could on my cruisers with out fear of scraping any metal.

I must say that I miss my very first bike. It was a 1980 KZ250. That bike was a blast!

:wavey:

NotAMonte86
06-26-2007, 17:50
Current ride: '04 Honda 919.

I started out on a cruiser almost a year ago (V-Star 650). While I liked it, I wanted to try something with a standard seating position. I like sport bikes, but they get stolen like crazy around here, and you can't find a used one that hasn't been beaten on and dropped. :upeyes:

That's where naked bikes come in. I started looking at sv650's, but surprise, they are grouped in with the other sport bikes, being beaten on and dropped. I almost started to think that dented tanks came standard on sport bikes. Then I had found a Honda 919 for sale online... a better bike at a better price than the sv650's! Bought it the day after it was posted, since I knew it would sell very quickly. It was 100 miles away, the ride was long but it was worth it.

It is sporty, I think it looks great, it hadn't been dropped. It's got more power than I need, as I've hardly even been over 5k rpms. Fuel injection is wonderful, it starts right up, and I've never even touched the choke (including cold starts at around 42 degrees). It's an I-4... personally I prefer low-end grunt, I'm not all about winding a motor out. Other than that, everything else is just fine.

I really like the newer Speed Triples, but they are pretty pricey. Other than that, I may try out a sport bike if I could find a decent one.

njtta150
06-26-2007, 18:49
I currently ride a honda vtx1800f3 in silver tribal cause that is the fastest color! I like it for cruising with an attitude. Its nice and comfy has great pull and speed, yet still looks good going slow. With a few suspension mods it handles pretty good for a big bike. Plus the Mrs fits on it and she likes it too.

On days when I feel more adventurous I ride my honda cbr929re. I originaly started out with sport bikes in the 600cc, then moved up as skill grew.

Personal observation, I have noticed as most people get older they progress in this fashion- sport bike, cruiser, full dresser.

But hey its not what you ride, its that you ride!

Keep it shiny side up

Lone Wolff
06-26-2007, 19:48
I'm with you NotAMonte. I drove a little over 200 miles to get my 2006 919. Long trip back home, but a lotta fun considering I just upgraded from a 250 VTwin to a 900cc I4.

Price was too good to pass on for a brand new bike with 0 miles on the ODO.

I also started on a cruiser, albeit a small one, '05 Virago 250. Nothing against the Virago, it was comfortable, and easy on the budget, but I really wanted something with more power after I'd gotten my feet wet.

Ideally, when I get more garage space, and a little more discretionary funds, I'd like to get a cruiser to go with the 919. VTX1300C perhaps? Maybe by that time they'll be fuel injected and have 6 speeds.

ndbullet500
06-26-2007, 22:46
Originally posted by NotAMonte86

It is sporty, I think it looks great, it hadn't been dropped. It's got more power than I need, as I've hardly even been over 5k rpms. Fuel injection is wonderful, it starts right up, and I've never even touched the choke (including cold starts at around 42 degrees). It's an I-4... personally I prefer low-end grunt, I'm not all about winding a motor out. Other than that, everything else is just fine.

How you can keep that I4 under 5K is a mystery to me! What is that, like 40 more hp that's just sitting there above for the taking? Embrace the dark side and pluck those rapidly spinning fruit! :thumbsup: Heck, Nicky Hayden won races with the CBR900RR version of that same motor racing in AMA Formula Extreme. It's made to rev!

Of course, who am I to talk. The head is off of my Enfield (again) right now because of too many RPMs for too long (again) across Illinois. It was just sooooooooooo boring of a ride. At least it was until I burned my exhaust valve. Time to get those hi-flow oil pumps off my workbench and put them to use to improve cooling. Oh, instead of the Ninja 650R I also considered a Royal Enfield race bike owned by a friend of mine that has carried the ARMHA #1. But at least one modern, reliable machine is nice to have around.

I think of the 919 as being a more modern variation on the CB750 theme; that classic Japanese design of a 4cyl do-everything-well motorcycle. As definitive as a statement of Japanese design as the V-twin is of American. If the local Honda dealership was still here I would have definitely also have given a 919 serious consideration to replace my CB750.

Oh, and DaisyCutter, I think those ZRX1200s were among the sweetest looking bike Kawasaki had in production for a long time. Especially the "Freddie Spencer" green ones. A big powerful Japanese I4, what's not to like?!

njtta150
06-27-2007, 13:56
Lone Wolff

Might want to consider a vtx1800 instead of the 1300. I know a few guys who got the 13 then wished they had the 18 a few months later. plus with the 18 you get the fuel injection. I dont hink a 6 speed will happen anytime so though. There are few guys who have swapped 18 rear ends for the 13 to get the lower gear ratio. Check out
www.vtxoa.com if you havnt already lots of good info.

whogasak47
06-27-2007, 15:20
Honda CB 750s (4)
Suzuki 1200 Bandit Inline4, Centerstand,Respectable Performance,Dependable Classic Styling.

Honda Goldwing : Outstanding Touring Platform

Suzuki SV 650 The best all around town bike I have ever ridden.

Chopper: Dangerous at all speeds. different from normal

Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

Elmstreet
06-27-2007, 16:28
'03 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. Power wise, just right for riding around here. Size wise - it fits me. Otherwise, I like it!

ateamer
06-27-2007, 20:36
I rode a Gold Wing for 16 years because I liked the all-day comfort and hauling capacity. I switched to a Concours for snappier handling and acceleration. Now I want to back to a Wing for the comfort. It has plenty of handling for me, but the Connie's ergonomics just aren't working. It beats me up to ride for more than an hour or two, and actually, by half an hour my hands are going numb from the buzziness. As soon as I can unload it, there is a Wing in a friend's garage with my name on it.

Cryptoboy
06-28-2007, 00:43
Started with a love for sportbikes (2nd bike I was on was a early 90's GSXR750), rode a Yamaha Seca in college. Really enjoyed sportbikes more until I moved here to Phoenix. Wife was a Harley fan (then gf). After a few bikes (starting with Buells), I'm riding an 05 Electra Glide, and couldn't be happier, especially on long rides!

I still love sportbikes though, and when the EG is paid off, I plan to get a Ducati (as a second bike), always loved Ducs!

wolfy692005
06-28-2007, 15:08
when i was young (7) i got to ride a neighbors mini bike,,, i think it had a 5 hp briggs motor. My parents HATED the idea of anything other than a bicycle.. When i was 17 i did some work for a guy on his car and he traded me a 72 250cc yamaha and a 74 honda 250cc elsonor.. after that i was in dirt bikes and then transistioned into sport bikes... when they moved the pegs backward i went to the Yamaha 650 special street bikes.. broke my back and several boke on different occasions.. Always had a hwy bike.. i love to ride and will go abywhere any time.. I got the first harley as a box of parts.. after i built the first custom.. it got into a magazine (iron works) a guy offered to buy it, so i sold it.. took the money and built another with a defferent suspetion.. from sporty to softail. it was better for longer rides but i was still using the sporty motor which reved high and vibrated hard. That bike was in Hot Bike.. guy wanted it and i sold that one.. built a custom softail big motor air ride sus.. i road that from st louis to tampa and back.. i was sore for a week... wife road on a friends ultra and that was it.. she said buy sell steal whatever but get the ultra..
i sold the custom and got the ultra.. after putting on 12K since dec i do not know why i waited.. I have most of the speed out of me and my happy to ride for 1100 miles at 80 or 90 vs riding less at 120..
for me its all about riding long distances and as often as i can.. the ultra fits the bill better than anything else i have riden.

Laszlo
06-29-2007, 19:29
I ride because:
-I can.....+

-love the sound
-love the feeling
-love the smell
-love the vibration
-beats Advil against headache.
-chicks dig it
-makes me feel good
-cheap on gas
-and a lot of other reasons.

2004 BMW R1100S....and no, I don`t own a trailer, if you know what I mean.
:supergrin:

fnfalman
06-30-2007, 20:45
Aprilia Tuono is for when I wanna go fast but still comfortable with the old back.

BMW Rockster is for when I wanna go fast but still comfortable with the old back.

KTM 990 Adventure is for when I wanna go fast but still comfortable with the old back, and for taking a little dirt road now and then.

Rebel_James
06-30-2007, 21:12
'93 Harley 1200 Sportster .... 'Miss Scarlet'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v32/Rebel_James/Harley/7f586537.jpg

It's my Harley, I don't have to explain nothing!

ndbullet500
06-30-2007, 22:18
Originally posted by fnfalman
Aprilia Tuono is for when I wanna go fast but still comfortable with the old back.

BMW Rockster is for when I wanna go fast but still comfortable with the old back.

KTM 990 Adventure is for when I wanna go fast but still comfortable with the old back, and for taking a little dirt road now and then.

Great taste in machines. I'd probably lean more Ducati than Aprilia, but that's mainly just variations on a theme. And really the only reason I would lean Ducati instead is because of the first time I went to VMD (Vintage Motorcycle Days - racing/swapmeet/rally/party at Mid-Ohio). I parked, the sounds of singles, twins, triples, 4cyls, etc practicing just a few hundred feet away as I hurriedly set up my tent. I walked over the berm to the long straight after turn 6 (5?) and RRRRRMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!! A Ducati 750 at just the right moment, accelerating out of the turn, the sound of that twin like nothing I had ever heard before.

An unmuffled Harley V-Twin rattles my head, much sharper and (sorry HD guys) frankly unpleasant to my ears in pitch. An unmuffled Ducati 750 or 900 makes my chest feel every rpm. It's a more resonate sound that made me realize something new that day; you can love a sound. I did research on the physiological effect of percussive musical instruments on the human body (EDIT: research was back in those halcyon days of academic youth, not after VMD I, although if I had known back then what a Ducati sounds, I would have added it as an instrument for research - seriously), so I'm not totally surprised, but it was the first time a sound elicited an emotional response for me personally.

:sad: Only ~$140,000 in student loans to go, then I can start shopping at your bike shops. :thumbsup:

Oh, I started watching Long Way Round again last night. Stupid KTM PR (or whatever dept pulled the plug on KTM participation) - makes me like BMW even more for having the stones to sign on. I actually thought about KTM's wimp out when I was looking for my new bike at the KTM/Kawa dealer.

fnfalman
07-01-2007, 19:43
Originally posted by ndbullet500

Oh, I started watching Long Way Round again last night. Stupid KTM PR (or whatever dept pulled the plug on KTM participation) - makes me like BMW even more for having the stones to sign on. I actually thought about KTM's wimp out when I was looking for my new bike at the KTM/Kawa dealer.

KTM screwed up as far as PR goes and possible sales of their adventure line. HOWEVER, the loyal KTM fans seem to applaude their decision for not making a "movie" with their bikes.

freakshow10mm
07-05-2007, 23:47
I ride a 1981 Suzuki GS450L. Got it cheap (~$1k). Had it for three years. First bike. Don't like it anymore. Can't afford my SV1000 yet. Just stuck being bummed out.:sad:

Goldstar225
07-06-2007, 08:01
Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800 cc). For my 5th bike I wanted something with sufficient power to carry my wife and I with luggage for week long trips. This bike meets all my current needs and is a sweet ride.

Gasoil4ever
07-06-2007, 09:26
A Yamaha MT-01 2007, 1700cc V-Twin, great design, great chassis, great engine, all about good vibrations, huge torque, perfect handling... 100% Adrenaline, without breaking the bareer of sound (which is a felony down here, and would make me loose my right to own guns... Idiotic... but it's the law here)

Ride safe !

JAREDG21
07-07-2007, 11:40
rc-51 track bike
turbo gsx-r 1000 balls to the wall bragging rights
busa sport touring.
I have been riding for almost 22 years (including dirt)
Now don't get me wrong I will ride any thing on two wheels but I won't buy a cruiser. My reasons are as follows. Tire suspension and brake technology is mediocre at best compared to sport bikes and other standard motorcycles. safety is a big factor for me. Engine performance is way behind as well. Also emergency handling is horrid. For me I don't like my feet way out in front of me mainly because the wind wears me out and I have never been able to ride a cruiser comfortably for more than about 300 miles. Yes I know that you can put a wind screen on a cruiser to eliminate this problem but I think it really takes away from the look of the bike. I am not saying this is the status quo I have plenty of riding buddies that do ride long distance but not me. Although I have not ridden all of the cruisers out there, I have ridden alot of them. I don't want to be flamed because I hate cruisers when in fact I don't. If money was no problem i would have one or four. There are quite a few cruisers that I like but I'm just not ready to spend my money on them.

Compy
07-08-2007, 03:09
I currently ride an '05 Kawasaki ZX10R. I never really liked the full-on sportbikes...until I rode one! It's not really about the speed as I don't race and never use it to it's "full potential". I am simply more comfortable on it than any other bike.

Yes, you read that right. I started out on an '86 GS400 that a friend gave me. It lasted a month until the tranny died. I went out and bought a '97 Harley Night train. I put maybe 1000 miles on it in the 2 years I owned it. It was SO damn uncomfortable, I never enjoyed riding it. I sold it and 6 years later, bought a '03 Honda 919. I rode it for about 18 months after I changed out the bar and rearsets to make it a bit more tolerable to ride. One day, a friend of mine let me ride his '05 ZX10. I had never been so comfortable on a bike before, it fit me PERFECT! Two months later, I had one.

Here's the deal: I have lower back problems and a pinched nerve in my lower back. The other bikes I had put all my upper body weight on my lower back and caused spasms after even short rides. The sportbikes take the weight off my back and move them to my wrists. Everyone kept telling me about how uncomfortable sportbikes were, so I never tried them. Turns out, the opposite is true, for me.

tshadow6
07-08-2007, 12:37
My first two bikes were what was available at the time. 1-70s 650 Yamaha Special. 2-2002 Honda VLX 600. In June of this year I sold the Honda and bought my dream bike, a Triumph Bonneville. Back in the 80s they were not reliable, then not available. In the 90s, I had other priorties, so here we are in 2007. Finally, my dream bike is affordable, reliable and MINE. I chose Triumph for the history. Triumph is one of the original MC brands. Maybe I'll go back to Honda or some other brand, for now I'm riding the dream.