Shooting Practice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Practice

Allegra
06-27-2007, 09:44
Off topic muna hehe -

BOGs, how do you practice shooting?
just slinging lead downrange? any drills?
How many rounds per session?

Eye Cutter
06-27-2007, 17:04
what practice??? ang match ko na rin an practice!

:animlol:

horge
06-27-2007, 17:14
I may not be practicing for the same thing as the next guy ;)
... but I can't chukk past 40 rounds of .45 without growing
tired of it. Shooting .380 grows old even faster.

Mostly double taps from draw,
modified iso, singlehanded, and full retent (weak elbow out) mode.

Nice thread.
:)

Allegra
06-27-2007, 19:33
Horge - good job
EC - pareho pala tayo ng training program , iisa coach natin haha

I'm working on a training program for my disastrous triathlon career hehe
and I'm reading cycling training prgram ng coach ni Lance Armstrong naks!
I really think it would be adaptable sa shooting
Breaking down the calendar year into seperate phases ,may diff drills each phase at may training goal bawat phase, w/ the final goal being__________ ( depends on the shooter )
Subukan ko muna sa gunclub namin and kay baby daryl

If it works , I think it could be done on-line like kay fafa Lance

revo
06-27-2007, 20:21
Kung work days - dry fire.
Kung weekends - live fire sa range
Physical conditioning - personal weight training at home

I tend to spend a lot of time doing technical improvements on my guns and testing them so most of the range time is testing time and only about 30% is doing runs on practice stages. This also means I'm reloading almost continuously because it's easy to blow through 200-300 rounds in one range session.

Constant use of the guns also means I experience more equipment breakage than casual users. Sucks really.

jimbullet
06-27-2007, 21:47
I do different sessions every often;
1. 1 shot draw
2. 2 taps each for 2 targets with draw
3. shoot while moving
4. el presidente
5. I make stages whenever I can for multiple shots swinging from left to right and all... the reloading skills
6. from draw 3 targets with one shot each

HEAVY
06-27-2007, 22:14
i do two types of practice, una yung pang competition, gumagawa kami ng maliit na course, idpa style. pag nagsawa na, speed shoot ng bakal, 5 targets in a row, pabilisan.

bago umuwi, we do the "tactical" (in our heads, at least) drills.

1 target, draw from concealment, shoot while retreating to cover., 2 targets, draw from concealment, shoot in tactical order while retreating, 3 targets, shoot in tactical order...

until we get tired or run out of bullets.

revo
06-27-2007, 23:05
...you mean run out of ammo.

Bullets don't ignite.

:supergrin:

HEAVY
06-27-2007, 23:34
Originally posted by revo
...you mean run out of ammo.

Bullets don't ignite.

bullets too. my ammo needs bullets. or else they won't make holes on the targets :)

(you're right, ammo :) )

jimbullet
06-28-2007, 04:31
ammo or bullets - they fly....:supergrin:

batangueno
06-28-2007, 06:45
No time for practice. :sad:

Allegra
06-28-2007, 19:54
dont forget the tap rack bang drills
plus drawing while turning left,right and behind (ala chuck taylor )

yabang ko hehe
ano maganda pantanggal ng kalawang hehe d na yata kaya ng wd yung mags ko

theTactician
06-29-2007, 01:49
funny thing, i asked this question before regarding drill suggestions and i only got a few responses.:-) now, there are a lot of suggestions in this thread. nice thing you brought this up man.
as for drills, i do the mozambique drill a lot, the bill drill and the tueler drill.
i also set up some IDPA/IPSC stages.

jimbullet
06-29-2007, 02:47
I gotta better idea...lets go to the range this weekend!!!!:banana:

mc_oliver
06-29-2007, 04:06
The most important thing when handling a gun is familiarity with it. So dry fire is really, really important. And by dry fire, I really mean the kind that involves all gun manipulations and not only feeling the trigger break.

With that out of the way, time to step up to real ammo. Before even trying to apply the dry fire techniques with live ammo, flinch AND blink control steps muna. Marami nyan sa net; ball and dummy, shooting by feel (eyes closed), feeling the break, etc.

Then there's accuracy work. Once the flinch AND blink is controlled, time to work on getting that bullet to hit where you want to. So group shooting. Close distance first, say, 3 yards (yes, three!). Once you get a solid group at that distance, progress to 5 yards, and so on and so forth up to the max length of the bay. Learn to know where the bullet hit just by looking at where the sights where when you triggered the shot. Kaya importante ang blink control.

After all that, we go back to dry fire uli. This time movements naman. Maganda nito sa bahay pede gawin. Learn to move efficiently (be it drawing, reloads, getting into and out of position, etc.) This actually takes more work for others. Yung mga sporty types will have no problems getting efficient, IMO.

Then balik sa range. The objective now is to combine those things you've learned dry firing with live sessions. You don't need to burn ammo actually. Dati sa akin 50 rounds okay na. The very most important aspect is that you're learning to combine your movement efficiency with shooting accuracy.

All this stuff needs a lot, and I mean A LOT of hard work. So make sure, from the beginning pa lang you have you're goals defined about the kind of proficiency you want to achieve.

The funny thing about it is that, once solid na yung foundation mo, it never really goes away. It's pretty much just like riding a bike. You may not get to the same level as when you were at your peak of your training before, 'di ka rin naman as kulelat as when you first started.

Haba but HTH. ;) :)

Oh, and btw, ALWAYS BE SAFE AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS PRACTICE SAFE GUN HANDLING. There isn't always a VCD player or hard wood walls to stop that bullet. And stopping that bullet with your foot is NOT a particularly bright idea. ;) :supergrin:

Eye Cutter
06-29-2007, 05:58
Oh, and btw, ALWAYS BE SAFE AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS PRACTICE SAFE GUN HANDLING. There isn't always a VCD player or hard wood walls to stop that bullet. And stopping that bullet with your foot is NOT a particularly bright idea.

ouch! may pinapatamaan ka yata dito, mco??? hahahaha!

Allegra
06-29-2007, 06:15
Daym , ang galing ni McO!

Speaking of drills
Nag paparactice na dn ako umilag
anyone else doing this?

vega
06-29-2007, 06:56
Originally posted by Allegra
Daym , ang galing ni McO!

Speaking of drills
Nag paparactice na dn ako umilag
anyone else doing this?
Yes I do that, I tend to move to my left since a north paw have a tendency to jerk the FA to his left.

jimbullet
06-29-2007, 07:20
Thats why I also tend to practice shooting multiple targets going right instead of the usual shooting going left.

Allegra
06-29-2007, 08:26
was thinking of leaning back 90deg dodging bullets, while shooting at the BG
Seems like a bad idea though

Dapat may standards of shooting skill
whats a good standard? el pres in ....8sec?

ogiebb
06-29-2007, 09:54
Bill drills and Riverdale standards for me and dry fire if i get the chance....does consumption of beer and cheetos qualify as training?

el prez in 5-6 sec with good hits would be pretty good...check out
Eric g and Jake divita el prez 3.62 sec:thumbsup:

mc_oliver
06-29-2007, 12:45
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
ouch! may pinapatamaan ka yata dito, mco??? hahahaha! :supergrin: :tongueout: Lessons learned.

horge
06-29-2007, 17:36
Hindi 'yun VCD player, it was a VCR (VHS) player :)
http://i10.tinypic.com/2e3q104.jpg

Wala ba'ng pix nu'ng paa?

atmarcella
06-29-2007, 19:27
damn:shocked: first time ko nakita yan dito ah...matagal na ba nangyari yan??? nakakatakot yan, buti di nag ricochet:thumbsup:

horge
06-29-2007, 19:45

Ancient history, bosing atm.
Allegra, and Darwin himself, gave the lowdown on the incident
in the last BoG Quiz. There but for the grace of God, and all that.

The VCR still works, daw!

kristiansen
07-02-2007, 07:52
Originally posted by horge

Ancient history, bosing atm.
Allegra, and Darwin himself, gave the lowdown on the incident
in the last BoG Quiz. There but for the grace of God, and all that.

The VCR still works, daw!

good only for kama sutra flicks.daw.:supergrin:

Allegra
07-07-2007, 01:48
Pretty good at explaining how it's done

http://www.youtube.com/user/shootingcoach

darwin25
07-09-2007, 21:40
Originally posted by mc_oliver
There isn't always a VCD player or hard wood walls to stop that bullet. :supergrin:

Aray ko.

You mean this

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/darwin25/PICT0242.jpg