Civic Or Corolla? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Civic Or Corolla?

gunz213
06-27-2007, 14:38
I am looking to buy either a new Civic or a Corolla for the commute to work and I'm looking for any info about them. I live about an hour from work and I'm just looking for something that's more efficient than my Tacoma.
Thanks,
Erick

Thinkinbig
06-27-2007, 14:48
Ford Fusion. Beats them all in every way. Style, comfort, price. Try helping out the home team.:shocked:

charmincarmens
06-27-2007, 14:52
Originally posted by gunz213
I am looking to buy either a new Civic or a Corolla for the commute to work and I'm looking for any info about them. I live about an hour from work and I'm just looking for something that's more efficient than my Tacoma.
Thanks,
Erick I see you have a photo of the U.S.colored with a American flag. And you ask us about foreign cars ? :tongueout:

grecco
06-27-2007, 14:56
Originally posted by charmincarmens
I see you have a photo of the U.S.colored with a American flag. And you ask us about foreign cars ? :tongueout:

there are no such things as domestic or foreign cars anymore,
toyota and honda's are made here, while chevy,ford and dodge are made all over......

remeber the saturn ls series?
saab engine
opel platform
saturn badge..........

personally i would take the honda,
i have owned honda's since 86.

gunz213
06-27-2007, 15:00
I used to have a ford and it just wasn't as reliable as my toyota. Besides even "American" cars aren't made entirely in the states. And I think my Military service shows that I'm on the home team.

charmincarmens
06-27-2007, 15:10
Originally posted by grecco
there are no such things as domestic or foreign cars anymore,
toyota and honda's are made here, while chevy,ford and dodge are made all over......

remeber the saturn ls series?
saab engine
opel platform
saturn badge..........

personally i would take the honda,
i have owned honda's since 86. You certainly are right about where they are made. But if you buy an American car the Bucks don't go over seas,the profits stay in this country.And will trickle down to your pay check. Buy American.

bac1023
06-27-2007, 19:25
I prefer the Civic, but you can't go wrong with either.

michaelj1978
06-27-2007, 19:47
Get a used Civic with low miles (under 80,000).

You're still gonna get a super reliable car with cheaper insurance payments and personal property tax than a new one.

I have an 01 EX coupe with 110,000 miles on it. Oil, gas, 2 sets of front pads, and I just put the 3rd set of tires on it. 36-40mpg on the highway at 80mph no problem.

I do wish I had gotten the 4 door, but in 01 I wasn't married, didn't have a child, and didn't have a 130 pound dog.... I do now :supergrin:

epsylum
06-27-2007, 19:48
Originally posted by charmincarmens
You certainly are right about where they are made. But if you buy an American car the Bucks don't go over seas,the profits stay in this country.And will trickle down to your pay check. Buy American.

So if I buy a Dodge the money doesn't go to Germany?

:upeyes:

BTW Corolla, only because I am a Toyota fan.

re: the Fusion. Better style? I will have to disagree. The conFusion is butt ugly IMO. What was it that Mad Ogre said? "An American car, based on a Japanese car, built in Mexico, that wants to be a German car." We will see how they and their resale value hold up.

BTW my dad's Subaru was made in our home state (IN). My dad has even done business with the plant as Toyota is leasing some of the facility from Subaru to build even more cars here and his company was a contractor for the change over.

I have been a Ford fan for a long time and my parents have owned nothing but Fords or Mercurys for almost 3 decades. We have all come to the conclusion that American cars just are not what they once were (thanks UAW! :wavey: ). My dad bought his Subaru after driving mine and he has yet to regret it. He knows several people with Subarus and as he said "I have never met a Subaru owner that did not love their car". Plus the AWD flat out ROCKS in the snow and that is a good thing around here.

Bushflyr
06-28-2007, 20:40
+A Gazillion on checking out Subarus. The new Legacy GT wagon is unreal if you need the space and I never plan on selling my WRX wagon. The new WRX Hatch is pretty sweet too. My WRX has plenty of space, tons of power, 29mpg (measured), and AWD. It doesn't get any better. :banana: Especially when I eat Porches on the track. :devildance:

epsylum
06-28-2007, 21:01
Originally posted by Bushflyr
+A Gazillion on checking out Subarus. The new Legacy GT wagon is unreal if you need the space and I never plan on selling my WRX wagon. The new WRX Hatch is pretty sweet too. My WRX has plenty of space, tons of power, 29mpg (measured), and AWD. It doesn't get any better. :banana: Especially when I eat Porches on the track. :devildance:

Unfortunately I read they are doing away with the Legacy GT wagon. My dad got a brand new '07 Outback wagon. He wanted the turbo badly, but could not justify the $6000 difference (or I should say my mom couldn't justify it ;) ). I have driven it and it is damn nice.

teletiger7
06-29-2007, 00:52
I own a 2000 civic which i have been driving for 8 years. There's close to 200K on it and it's still going strong with gas mileage still around 30mpg. This car has been in 3 accidents and still keeps going. The civic is a well thought out car. If anyone knows how to make a good compact economy car it's Honda. Civics are some of the most reliable cars out there. Plus it looks better than the corolla, especially the sporty two-door version. Nothing wrong with the corolla, it's a good reliable workhorse also, I just like the civic styling better.

walkin' trails
07-01-2007, 09:57
My wife bought a 2006 Corolla last summer and she's happy with it. Its the top-of-the-line model. It seems to get about 26-28 in town consistently, and has done a best of 35 on the highway at 70. It has a five speed and was rated at 41 mpg, but I suspect that you might see that at 55 mph under ideal conditions. I don't have any experience with the Civic, but I would imagine that the two cars are relatively comparable.

My wife's Corolla is the second we've had. I bought our first one a few years back for a kid who needed a cheap car. This one was a 1986 with 180K. The seller claimed that it had been owned by a Toyota mechanic who had dropped a new motor in it at some point, but I would not have been surprised if it wasn't true. For $750....anyway it ran reliably despite and got 32 mpg. The only reason I got rid of it after the kid moved out was because it leaked oil all over the place and was so full of rust. The oil leak wsa a combination of the kid running it over a parking divider, and thinking that if the car is running a little rough, it needs oil. I drained about eight quarts out of the crank case. I sold it four years ago, and still see it around my area once in a while.

I have been brand loyal to Ford over my car-buying years, but am looking to replace my current Expedition with a Tacoma one of these days. I've only had two Fords that were trouble free - a 1989 F150 (300/5-speed), and a 1992 Mustang LX (302/5-speed). The others have had minor agrivations that seemed to be apart of design flaws (the Mustang had plenty, but I'd read about them before I bought the car and planned on overcoming them with a liberal application of aftermarket high performance parts).

I have not had any experience with the Ford Fusion, but it looks like a nice car. My only concern is this...unless you total it, a Toyota is capable 250-300K miles with probably no more than regular maintenance, brakes, clutch, and timing belts. Will the Fusion go that long? The current Corolla comes with a 126 hp four cylinder that actually has quite a little bit of spunk. Ford has been notoriously bad about underpowering its vehicles in recent years. I like the Fusion's styling, but the Toyota was designed with a very efficient use of space, in my experience.

I want my next truck to have a 4-cylinder and 4x4, but Ford won't sell you a Ranger with anything but a V6, and when you are trying to buy a basic truck with 4x4, AC, and limited slip differential, with gas milege in mind, you have to upgrade to the 4.0 v6 that gets lousy milege. I'm better off staying with my Expedition.

If Ford wants to say afloat, it needs to remember that it was the company that gave us the Model T, and right now with the high gas prices, there are going to be American buyers that are shopping for something that will not cost them an arm and a leg, but not resemble a Yugo, either.

You can't go wrong with a Corolla.

Seafarer12
07-03-2007, 19:48
I put a vote in for the Nissan Sentra. I am not sure about the new model but the wife has an 06 and it is a darn nice car and will get 40mpg on the highway, 34 in town.

As far as profits going over seas. If they buy all their parts from overseas or get built in mexico or canada. The profits are still going out of the country no matter who ownes the company. The only way for profits to stay in the country is to have a totally domesticly made car.

General Sherman
07-04-2007, 10:16
The Sentra is built is Tennessee.

Thinkinbig
07-04-2007, 11:41
Ford and GM build 95% of their line up in the USA. They get 85% of their parts from US manufactures. Ford alone is firing over 35,0000 employees. That’s more than Toyotas entire work force in the US! Ford is CLOSING 15 plants. Toyota only has 12 in the USA. Remember US dollars from the sales of US automobiles are being funneled back into the US economy. All those men and women working for Toyota, Subaru, Honda, ect… would still have jobs with Ford and GM if with supported US manufacturing. Keep giving all of your money to non US companies. Weather its cars or clothing or what ever, soon there will be so much poverty and unemployment in the US you wouldn’t be able to afford ammo!:sad:

epsylum
07-04-2007, 15:08
Originally posted by Thinkinbig
Ford and GM build 95% of their line up in the USA. They get 85% of their parts from US manufactures. Ford alone is firing over 35,0000 employees. That’s more than Toyotas entire work force in the US! Ford is CLOSING 15 plants. Toyota only has 12 in the USA. Remember US dollars from the sales of US automobiles are being funneled back into the US economy. All those men and women working for Toyota, Subaru, Honda, ect… would still have jobs with Ford and GM if with supported US manufacturing. Keep giving all of your money to non US companies. Weather its cars or clothing or what ever, soon there will be so much poverty and unemployment in the US you wouldn’t be able to afford ammo!:sad:

Arrg! The sky is falling! RUN!!!

No, what is killing Ford and GM is that they pay people $28 an hour sit on their rear (unlimited overtime too BTW). Ask me how I know. Please do (hint: I know multiple people who either used to or currently do work for them and that is all they brag about). All that gets put right into the price of that car. To stay competitive they have to make up the money somehow. Then of course there are the pensions. Notice that Mercedes is trying to dump Chrysler like a bad habit (and willing to lose over 15 BILLION in investments in the process). I do not like supporting people who have horrible work habits and have the nerve to start whining that they don't have enough money or benefits and threaten to go on strike. Go on strike, I'll keep buying Subarus/Toyotas/Hondas (the only three brands listed as "most reliable" by Consumer Reports BTW) and drive them for a quarter of my life each time.

Why keep supporting a POS system when you get very little in return? Lemme guess you like social security as well?

BTW what about your *GASP!* Austrian guns you proudly announce you own. Don't the people at S&W, Ruger, Colt, etc. need to eat? Good for thee, but not for me?

Thinkinbig
07-04-2007, 19:11
Thier is a big diffewrence between a $500 handgun purchase and a $30,000 auto. You will never be able to purchase 100% of your merchandice made in America. I never said you should or that I did. Last I saw thier wern't tens of thousands of families on the unemployment line at colt. The Autombile industry generates billions of dollars for the US economy. Everthing from manufacturing cars to parts to sales to repair. Like I said, keep making some of the largest purchase a person will ever make with foreign companies and see how impacts the rest of the US economy.

epsylum
07-05-2007, 19:12
Thier is a big diffewrence between a $500 handgun purchase and a $30,000 auto. You will never be able to purchase 100% of your merchandice made in America. I never said you should or that I did. Last I saw thier wern't tens of thousands of families on the unemployment line at colt. The Autombile industry generates billions of dollars for the US economy. Everthing from manufacturing cars to parts to sales to repair. Like I said, keep making some of the largest purchase a person will ever make with foreign companies and see how impacts the rest of the US economy.

IMO the UAW priced themselves out of a job.

Secondly I also like to think of Americans as resourceful. You act like our entire economy is based on car manufacturing. There will be other jobs. Will they pay as much? Probably not, but they were getting payed too much for their job in the first place (why their positions are leaving/going away) and this is the way economics is correcting for the mistake.

re: big vs. little purchases. The little purchases add up. Example: Wal-Mart is the largest corporation in the world and bigger than any automaker

Don't get me wrong, I am far from an "anything American is crap" type of person. We make good guns, airplanes, computers, and I do still like some of our cars. I was a HUGE Ford fan for a long time. But IMO they have gone steadily down-hill. The capitalist and I would even argue, the American thing to do is to buy the best you can at the best price. That is exactly what I do. If you keep buying crap cars just because they are American, then they will keep making crap knowing they have an army of blind followers that will buy their stuff. Unfortunately they had that for a long time. People like my grandfather would buy nothing but Chevys. Hell even he got mad at my grandmother for buying a Buick knowing full well that it was made by the same company. Let me tell you what complete and total crap-boxes they had in the late 80s and early 90s. They were ugly, slow, horrible to drive, and broke all the time. That mindless following gave them those POS cars. Why did GM need to innovate? They had people that would buy any turd they put out no matter what. Well those people are dying now and guess what? They are hurting badly because of it. It takes a long time to make a reputation and it doesn't take long to ruin it.

Trust me, if Toyota/Honda/Subaru started making crap and Ford or GM got turned around and started making cars I actually like and are of decent quality, I will change my mind, but until then.....

eta:

At the last car show I went to, Honda and Toyota had just as high of a "US parts" percentage as Ford or GM. They help create jobs here as well. My dad has already experienced that as he got paid to help the Subaru plant change over for Toyota. Toyota is even designing their cars here now. So they are from start to finish, designed and made here. Why are you so worried about where the money "goes"? It goes into a bank and into investments world wide just like any other huge company. Their biggest market is here, they are spending most of their money here (and spending more here every year). Ford sells cars world-wide. Are you mad that some of your money goes overseas when you buy a car from them?

Thinkinbig
07-09-2007, 06:27
There you have it. Your family works for Toyota! :tongueout:

epsylum
07-09-2007, 12:52
There you have it. Your family works for Toyota! :tongueout:

Nice try. My dad designs and sells industrial ventilation systems (mostly for restraunts). The Subaru job wasn't even his, he just took over as his boss went on vacation.

isis07734
07-10-2007, 00:45
You said new.

My ex, and friend have Corollas, and I rented a Civic a few mos ago. IMO there is NO comparison!! Just get in both and im sure youll see.

bps72
07-13-2007, 12:08
The Civic is a new design and the Corolla is aging and about to be replaced. The Corolla has been at or near the back of the pack in every comparison article I've seen since the 2006 Civic came out.