New to Houston [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to Houston

rodubls
06-27-2007, 22:12
Howdy guys and gals. I just moved to Houston a few days ago and will start work soon. I am going next week to check out the Top Gun Range as I have heard good things from friends, its pretty close to my location, and their website makes it seem pretty good. They also seem to have a pretty quick and easy CHL program. Any other input or thoughts?

I am also in the market to buy my first Glock. I have been shooting Glocks for years at a range in College Station while I was in school but even after I turned 21 I couldn't purchase because I was a Resident Advisor. I was always kind of on the fence between the 19 and 23, but finally decided on the 19 (a popular first choice it seems for many on here). Well, now that I have graduated and live in a real apartment I can finally buy a G19 that I have been renting for years. From what I have seen at Academy, Gander Mtn and the like, it will run me about $500. Some LGS I have seen are similar or slightly more. Does anyone know of a place in Houston to get one for cheaper? I want brand new with the two mags, speed loader and everything.

sdsnet
06-27-2007, 22:47
Originally posted by rodubls
Howdy guys and gals. I just moved to Houston a few days ago and will start work soon. I am going next week to check out the Top Gun Range as I have heard good things from friends, its pretty close to my location, and their website makes it seem pretty good. They also seem to have a pretty quick and easy CHL program. Any other input or thoughts?

I am also in the market to buy my first Glock. I have been shooting Glocks for years at a range in College Station while I was in school but even after I turned 21 I couldn't purchase because I was a Resident Advisor. I was always kind of on the fence between the 19 and 23, but finally decided on the 19 (a popular first choice it seems for many on here). Well, now that I have graduated and live in a real apartment I can finally buy a G19 that I have been renting for years. From what I have seen at Academy, Gander Mtn and the like, it will run me about $500. Some LGS I have seen are similar or slightly more. Does anyone know of a place in Houston to get one for cheaper? I want brand new with the two mags, speed loader and everything.

Check Carter's Country. They have a CHL class they give in Spring, TX that is supposed to be really good too.

waltherone
06-28-2007, 06:18
I took my CHL class at top gun as well... the instructor was awesome, put a LOT of effort into explaining the laws, going into detail on a lot of the often misunderstood things(such as force/deadly force before and after dark, defining that part that says there is no legal limit of blood alcohol content for a CHL holder, etc).... GREAT class IMO... granted it's the only one I've ever taken.

uhlawpup
06-29-2007, 07:02
You might want to try Marksman Indoor Range in South Houston. It's where I shoot. Friendly, honest people. Welcoming atmosphere. I've learned a lot going there these past few years, even though Top Gun is quite close to me. They do CHL classes, too, and they have Glocks for sale.

Take the Gulf Freeway, I-45, south to Monroe. Left under the freeway. Right on Old Galveston. Right on Nebraska. (713) 944-3520.

06-30-2007, 20:53
Originally posted by uhlawpup
You might want to try Marksman Indoor Range in South Houston. It's where I shoot. Friendly, honest people. Welcoming atmosphere. I've learned a lot going there these past few years, even though Top Gun is quite close to me. They do CHL classes, too, and they have Glocks for sale.

Take the Gulf Freeway, I-45, south to Monroe. Left under the freeway. Right on Old Galveston. Right on Nebraska. (713) 944-3520.
+1 to Marksman. Good folks.

nuparadigm
07-01-2007, 06:33
Originally posted by 12131
+1 to Marksman. Good folks.

And their range time is about 1/3 less expensive than Top Gun.