Squash Recipes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Squash Recipes

DWavs
06-28-2007, 14:57
My buddy gave me a big ole squash from his garden. Being the squash novice that I am, what should I do with it? Lay the ideas on me!

97guns
06-28-2007, 15:08
probably depends on what kind, i grow zuchinni and like to stuff the larger ones with ground pork and then steam it. with the smaller ones ill slice em up, do an egg dredge and then roll them in ground up corn flake crumbs and pan fry them or dice them up and make a vegitarian chili. im not really too keen on other varieties of squash especially the pumpkin types.

MrsKitty
06-28-2007, 17:05
If it is yellow or zucchini, I would grill it or stirfry it. Both are easy and YUMMY!

Slice. Slap on the grill after seasoning. I normally just use Lawry's Seasoned Salt. Spray with PAM. Flip. Eat.

To stirfry cut into bite-size pieces. Saute in olive oil/margarine (either or mix depending on the flavor you want). When it starts to get a little soft, dump in some soy sauce. Eat.

Mild Bill
06-28-2007, 18:47
Every type is different---bigtime---- so get a photo up and I'll tell you...
We do all kinds here...

Saying "I have a squash here" is like saying 'I have a vegetable here'...

:beer:

DWavs
06-29-2007, 02:20
Yellow squash. I will post a pic tomorrow.

DWavs
06-29-2007, 08:08
Pic attached.

Mild Bill
06-29-2007, 19:55
Ya know, that's a big ol' very nice looking yellow squash!

There are a lot of tasty, but just 'ok' things you can do with them...

Sliced kinda thick, about 1/4", steamed, then tossed with some butter, salt, and pepper,
---just like 'The Golden Corral' might...

Or cut into chunks, then tossed with thin-sliced onion, olive oil, S&P, and baked till cooked thru...
This cooks off some of their moisture and intensifies their flavor..

But again, that's all just ok...

You can slice them lengthwise or crosswise about 1/4" thick and dust in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs,
then toss in a pot 1/3 filled with 375F canola or peanut oil...
Cook till brown and crispy, dry on paper towel, then hit them with some coarsely grated parmesan
and some chopped parsley...

We're getting warmer...

But if I had 4-6 big boys like that, I'd stuff and bake them!!

Cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out some out of the middle to make a canoe...
Not too flimsy, leave some meat on the sides...

Toss the scooped out/chopped squash pulpage into a big bowl with some ground beef & 'hot' Italian sausage,
add an egg or two, salt, minced garlic or garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper, some herbs,
bread crumbs (or rice), some grated cheese, olive oil, & chopped parsley...

Mix it all up in the big bowl then 'mound' it into/onto the boats...

Top with some bread crumbs and a drizzle of olive oil and bake them for 45-60 minutes at 375F
till the tops get golden and the sides collapse some...

For company, do the same thing, but include scooped out Zucchini, halved potatoes (steamed and cooled first),
Poblano peppers, and Bell peppers--- green, yellow, and/or red...

The spicey oils and juices from the hot sausage adds a nice touch as a cooking liquid!

Serve them each on a bed of mashed potatoes!

Yeah--- I think that's what I'd do...

Canoe do it?

lethal tupperwa
06-30-2007, 05:53
browned chunks of lamb and rice

lethal tupperwa
06-30-2007, 05:57
White Zucchini Lasagna

4 large Zucchini’s cut into ¼” thick slices
2 chicken breasts cut into ¼” thick slices
2 large cloves of garlic chopped
½ package of mushrooms sliced thin
1 can of artichoke hearts each cut into 8 pieces
1 can spinach chopped fine
1 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese grated fine
1 pound grated mozzarella cheese
½ cup chopped onions
1 cup Alfredo sauce

1. Sauté chicken slices in olive oil, when they are just about done add garlic, mushrooms, onions, artichokes and spinach.
2. Cook until mushrooms and onions are tender.
3. Boil zucchini slices for 4-6 minutes or until they start to become soft (not mushy).
4. Drain and set aside.
5. Lightly grease 9 X 12 pan with olive oil.
6. Arrange zucchini slices to cover bottom of pan.
7. Spread a thin layer of Alfredo sauce over zucchini slices.
8. Spread a layer of the chicken and vegetable mixture over the Alfredo sauce.
9. Cover with ½ of the grated mozzarella.
10. Sprinkle ½ of the grated Romano or Parmesan over the mozzarella.
11. Repeat steps 6 through 10 as many times as you want.
12. Bake at 350 for about an hour or until the top is browned.

mitchshrader
06-30-2007, 06:10
butter it. eat it.

you don't have enough to get fancy.

it don't improve with age. eat it.

Remander
06-30-2007, 23:50
Here is a great Mediterranean style recipe for squash. Very good eats. I developed it from a family recipe and other tips I picked up.

Always a hit!

Supreme Stuffed Squash

By: Remander

Ingredients

8 medium to large yellow squash (may also use zucchini (large) or bell pepper) [I use a combination]

Extra-virgin olive oil

1 large onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground sirloin or other lean beef
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 small bunch (two handfuls or so) Italian or regular parsley, chopped (some reserved for garnish)
One bunch of green onions, chopped (some reserved for garnish)
2 tablespoons or so of finely chopped fresh mint leaves
1 lemon, juiced
1 lemon, sliced paper-thin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 14.5 oz. can chicken stock
1 14.5 oz. can tomato sauce

Oven: Preheat to 375 degrees F.

To prepare squash: Using a knife, cut a very thin sliver off one side, so the squash will lie flat on its side, resting on the small flat spot you created when you removed the sliver.

On the opposite (top) side of the squash, slice horizontally to remove about 1/4" of the top layer of the squash. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the flesh and pulp inside the squash and hollow it out like a canoe. I begin by using the end of the spoon like a knife to cut down through the squash and outline the area that I want to remove. Discard what you scoop out. (If you scoop too deep and punch through the bottom of the squash, use one of the removed slivers to patch the hole.)

To prepare zucchini: Cut into two equal pieces. Slice a thin, flat spot on the bottoms. Remove a thin layer of the top, and use a small spoon to hollow out the insides so each of the two pieces resemble small canoes, similar to the directions for squash.

To prepare bell pepper: Slice in half horizontally and remove seeds and membranes, so you get two equal sized “cups.” Trim as needed so that the cups will sit upright.

Cooking the Stuffing:

Saute ground meat until almost done, breaking it apart. Remove meat to plate and drain or blot with paper towel to remove excess grease.

Wipe pan of excess grease. Pour in a few splashes of olive oil. When oil is hot, add onions and saute for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, saute for about 2 minutes more, until all is soft and golden brown. Add the ground meat back to the pan. Stir in the tomatoes, combine well, and let simmer for 5 minutes; season with salt and plenty of fresh pepper. Toss in a handful or so of the parsley. Add the mint and lemon juice. Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and add salt, pepper, lemon juice, etc. to your taste. Remove the pan from the heat and let the stuffing cool slightly.

Stuffing and Cooking Squash (or other vegetable):

Using a teaspoon, stuff the filling into the squash, little by little, tamping each layer down so that the squash is as very full.

Arrange the squash in a layer and then stack as needed (place larger ones on bottom layer) in a large Dutch oven. Pour the chicken stock and tomato sauce into the Dutch oven and lay a lemon slice on top of each stuffed veggie. Option: Drizzle with some more olive oil. Bake in oven with lid on for about 45 minutes, or until squash is fork tender or done to your liking.

Serving options: Garnish with fresh grated Parmesan cheese, sliced green onions and/or chopped parsley before serving.

NISMOTom
07-01-2007, 21:21
I looove my yellow squash sliced and fried up in bacon grease with onions and garlic with salt and pepper.

DEEEElicious

Passafist
07-02-2007, 18:56
Originally posted by Mild Bill
...SNIP...

Sliced kinda thick, about 1/4", steamed, then tossed with some butter, salt, and pepper,
---just like 'The Golden Corral' might...

Or cut into chunks, then tossed with thin-sliced onion, olive oil, S&P, and baked till cooked thru...
This cooks off some of their moisture and intensifies their flavor..

Mild Bill, we're going to have to have a west central Florida Pot Luck!!! you have this country boy's mouth watering. I'm going to have to give some of those a try. :thumbsup:

Remander,

I'm not one for tomato sauce unless it's in Lasagna or Spaghetti, but I'm going to have to make an exception and give yours a try as well. :supergrin: