transferring audio cassettes to digital media? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : transferring audio cassettes to digital media?

hotlunch
06-28-2007, 18:40
A friend has a bunch of old audio cassettes of family stuff like music concerts by the kids that he wants to burn to CD as the cassettes are starting to degrade rapidly. He doesn't want to buy a CD recorder for his stereo if there is a way to do it on his computer but he doesn't know what that way would be.

Anyone know what he should use? Is there a cable or something he can connect from his stereo to his computer? What are his options.

Thanks much for the feedback.

chbix
06-29-2007, 13:14
im not an audio guru, but i think if he can get a cable going from the the cassette recording to the line in on his sound card, using the right software he should be able to capture the sound.

In theory it should work but ive nver personally tried it, and not sure what software. A lot of poeople i know who do podcasts like to use garage band.

hotlunch
07-01-2007, 18:50
Originally posted by chbix
im not an audio guru, but i think if he can get a cable going from the the cassette recording to the line in on his sound card, using the right software he should be able to capture the sound.

In theory it should work but ive nver personally tried it, and not sure what software. A lot of poeople i know who do podcasts like to use garage band.

Thanks for the info. Isn't "garage band" an Apple/Mac thing though? He'd be doing it on a PC that much I know.

boomcat
07-01-2007, 19:07
This gadget will do it:
http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=10172

chbix
07-01-2007, 20:10
Originally posted by hotlunch
Thanks for the info. Isn't "garage band" an Apple/Mac thing though? He'd be doing it on a PC that much I know.

yeah i guess it is, didnt realize it. I have heard people use
this as well

audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)

ric0123
07-05-2007, 19:14
Music Match Jukebox has a line in recording option. Pretty sure Roxio does also. My stepfather used MMJ to turn real to reals into mp3s, then burn them. Go buy a double ended 1/8 audio cable at radioshack and any old cassette player. and plug into the line in on your sound card.

hotlunch
07-05-2007, 20:21
Thanks for the advice everyone. One more (stupid) question but how/where do I plug into the soundcard?

Ragin Cajun
07-06-2007, 11:15
"AUX IN" input

RC