Is it really cheaper to buy a new gun at the gun show? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is it really cheaper to buy a new gun at the gun show?

silverap1
06-29-2007, 13:00
I'm looking to buy a new G26 and the best price I found is at Academy for $500 here in Houston.

I've heard you can find better deal at the gun show but at the same time I've also heard it doesn't really make a difference if you're looking to buy a "new" gun.

Which is true?

Bitmap
06-29-2007, 16:31
It can be true. Not always. Depends on which dealers are at the show and how many and how many people have been buying at that show. If there is a show coming up and you don't HAVE to have it now, why not wait?

If there are two or more dealers at the show with similar prices you can use that against them. Something like "Hey, the other guy has it for the same price. Why not throw in a box of shells and I won't have to walk back over there?" The worst the guy can do is say no. Sort of like buying a car at a dealership.

Now all the dealers here hate me.

S9Man
06-29-2007, 16:42
When I lived in Austin, Texas back in the 90's the gun shows had several dealers that sold way under the local dealers prices. I always shop around and I like to buy used if it is priced right.

Dobber
06-29-2007, 20:05
The gun show price for a G26 in DFW is $449. The best price I've seen in a local store was $479. I buy all my new guns at the gun show. You have to keep in mind that it costs $7 to get in but IMO it's worth that just to look around.

uhlawpup
06-29-2007, 20:06
I haven't been to a show for awhile, but the prices always seemed a bit lower to me there than in the shops.

A friend suggested a great method of doing a show. He said we should walk the whole show with a pad of paper and a pencil in our hands, and write down what we see that interests us, the price, and, above all, the location. If it's gone when we get back, we were not meant to have it. If not, we get the best deal.

I may just try that this coming weekend in Houston, as I have a .32 magnum revolver I want to get rid of and, with the money I get from it, maybe I'll find something to follow me home that I really like.

shuckersfan
06-29-2007, 21:04
You may be able to find one cheaper online. You don't have to pay sales tax, but you pay shipping and transfer costs. For me, anything over $375 and I'm ahead on buying online. For example, you can get a G26 from TopGlock for $459. $18.66 for shipping and $15-$20 for the transfer fee. That gives you $497.66. $500 + 8% sales tax, a guess don't know what yours is, gives you $540. Buy some ammo with the extra cash and it's all good.

silverap1
06-29-2007, 23:41
Originally posted by Bitmap

Now all the dealers here hate me.

:rofl:

silverap1
06-29-2007, 23:44
Originally posted by Dobber
The gun show price for a G26 in DFW is $449. The best price I've seen in a local store was $479. I buy all my new guns at the gun show. You have to keep in mind that it costs $7 to get in but IMO it's worth that just to look around.

Wow, $449 is a great deal. Cheapest I've seem so far...:thumbsup:

silverap1
06-29-2007, 23:49
Originally posted by shuckersfan
You may be able to find one cheaper online. You don't have to pay sales tax, but you pay shipping and transfer costs. For me, anything over $375 and I'm ahead on buying online. For example, you can get a G26 from TopGlock for $459. $18.66 for shipping and $15-$20 for the transfer fee. That gives you $497.66. $500 + 8% sales tax, a guess don't know what yours is, gives you $540. Buy some ammo with the extra cash and it's all good.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't think about ordering one online....:embarassed:

silverap1
06-29-2007, 23:50
Thanks you'all for the tips and advice.

There's gun show coming up on July 7-8 and I'm going to see if I can find a G26 for $449 first. :)

Dobber
06-30-2007, 14:49
Originally posted by silverap1
Thanks you'all for the tips and advice.

There's gun show coming up on July 7-8 and I'm going to see if I can find a G26 for $449 first. :)

I went to the GS today and several dealers had them. $449 standard sights, $479 OD with standard sights, and $499 with NS.

06-30-2007, 20:00
Around the Houston area, the answer is yes.

Walter45Auto
07-01-2007, 17:37
I dunno about Houston, but sometimes it is true and sometimes it ain't. Depends on the dealers and what they have there. Shop around at the gun show and if you can't find what you want at the show, you can always get it from the Local shop.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

wmailhos
07-21-2007, 16:27
Originally posted by silverap1
Wow, $449 is a great deal. Cheapest I've seem so far...:thumbsup:

You can find them all day long at the local DFW area shows for $450. Some bozos with private tables will try to sell used (and some are VERY used) Glocks for $500+. Even with local tax the new guns will only set you back around $490.

Of course I try to buy clean used guns when I can. Last new gun I bought was from a local fireman here that I found on Glocktalk. He had won it and I got a great deal and didn't have to pay sales tax for my G19.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-23-2007, 10:40
Academy is $499 but the shows prices quoted are standard about $449-459. I got a factory refurbished G19 for $399 and it's been fine for years.

However, looks for a store that does a lot of police business. Sometimes they come up with a cache of used guns for $350!

GLOCK35TX
07-26-2007, 13:12
Best thing to do is take a pen and paper to a gunshow and make the rounds. Making notes of who has what and at what price.
The dealers with the bigger tables seem to have the best prices on new pistols-since they buy in quantitiy. With a little luck I have seem some dealers get into a a price war at shows..saves you some money. But take cash as card sales usually add a surcharge to the price.

As someone else also pointed out you will see a smaller table with police trade in pistols going for what you can buy a new one for...but it never hurts to look

But sometimes you can run across someone selling a personal firearm just walking through the gunshow and something run into some really great deals...and no sales tax!